1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There’s still life in Ricky Williams’ legs

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Theres-still-life-in-Ricky-Williams-legs.html

I wonder what the odds would have been in 2004 on Ricky Williams -- the player who retired from the Dolphins to travel the world -- headlining a victory for the team in November 2009.
    With lead running back Ronnie Brown having been placed on season-ending injured reserve, the Dolphins turned to its old/new set of legs Thursday night, and the results were favorable.
    Williams, once the butt of jokes for his bohemian habits, is now a 32-year-old veteran with what appear to be a few years left in his career. In a fascinating twist, Ricky now seems to have the respect and admiration of his teammates and peers and even a burgeoning relationship with the Dolphins' old-school boss, Bill Parcells

MrClean, jetssuck, the 23rd and 2 others like this.
  2. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    With 119 yards rushing and 2 rush tds and 1 receiving td it clear he has a lot of life left in him. (knock on wood)

Crappy Tipper likes this.
  3. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Yes he does, but Henning needs to use Hilliard, and Sheets more to ensure Ricky doesn't try to do too much on his own.

4. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Yea I thought Lex Hillard played really well on Thursday

Crappy Tipper likes this.
  5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the PerfectStorm (the Orc-5 + Ricky, Hilliard & Polite)
    is best played out in a conventional offense
    the WildCat has to be reworked to feature PatWhite
    if it is to be viable, has to sport a legitimate passing element
    in the game or regress to the status of trick play or gimmick

6. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I disagree. I believe Ricky will get more time and practice running it.:wink2:

7. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I've been wrong before, you might be right.
    still think Pat White is needed to resuscitate the system
    would agree w/ you that Ricky can run it
    or perhaps run out of it
    however
    he can't privide a legitmate threat of a passing game

8. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Yeah exactly brother.

I am SOOOOO happy Ricky is producing, and damn he looked good the other night....but......we honestly cant expect him to have a game like that every weekend, he just isnt gonna last the season if he is asked to.
    Splitting time with Ronnie as he has is fortunate for us. He still has some left in the tank, but I could see him getting burned out.

Hilliard is interesting. He looked exactly the same on Thurs as he did in the pre-season. Many (All?) of us noted that in Preseason he was going against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Carolina is not a premium Run-defense, but regardless, they have very very good linebackers. Hilliard has a knack of picking up steam in the backfield and then either punishing or just plain carrying tacklers with him. What a great type of back to help loosen things up for Ricky.
    It will be interesting to see what Sheets brings for us.

I also think the huge step up in our passing game Thurs will help take some of the carries and beating off of Ricky.

TiP54 likes this.
  9. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I hope not. Wildcat should only be used on the goalline/short down and when the base offense can't get anything going.

10. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    the 23rd and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  11. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    How about that conceding call on 3rd and 16. The coaches were set to take 3 when Hilliard broke off an 18 yarder on his first carry in the NFL....this guys gonna be good

12. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    That is the problem with our offense now. We do things that are conservative or predictable, rather then opening it more, and keep defenses guessing. I don't like defenses to know the odds of what plays we are going to run. I want them to have to prepare for many looks on offense from us. I got all the faith in Ricky.

first&goal and padre31 like this.
  13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Imo, no ronnie no wildcat...{short yardage, goalline}Maybe a little Pat white with rick on the sweep.

gafinfan and the 23rd like this.
  14. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    We have a HUGE problem with Ricky running the Wildcat.

Lots of the success of the Wildcat was the wrinkle of Ricky running the sweep out of it, this couples having an extra blocker as well as putting the ball in one of our two best offensive weapons, either Ricky or Ronnie.
    While I think Ricky could do well filling Ronnie's obligation, there is nobody on the roster that can now come in and fill Ricky's past obligation.
    Pat White might do some in the future, but that would put Ricky back out on the wing....which, actually isnt a bad spot for him.
    I would like to see some Play-action sweep to Ricky and then have him run a wheel route...now THAT could be very successful IMO!!!

padre31 likes this.
  15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  16. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    We have two tanks in the backfield.
    THREE if you count Not-So-Polite-When-I-Get-The-Ball.
    And i ****ing love it!

17. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Ricky just keeps knocking more and more of that tarnish off of his career

18. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    If Sheets has 4.3 speed or so, why not let Ricky run the wild cat. You have Pat White at WR, and sheets lined up at WR with him, then go into motion with the wildcat. Does Ricky hold and run it, hand it off to the guy who supposed to have burning speed, or does he pitch back to Pat White for a pass down field? This is what we need to do is open this offense up. Just because we lost Ronnie, doesn't mean we have to be less aggressive.:wink2:

MrClean and jetssuck like this.
  19. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I agree wholeheartedly, Ricky looked great, like the Ricky of old. If we are to have ANY chance in the playoffs though, provided we get there, we have to pace Ricky or imho there will be no Ricky just when we will need him most!

To me Hilliard proved that he's earned a chance to play And since he hasn't played that much so far he brings the freshest legs to the game. I hope we see an increased load for this young man or my guess is that Ricky will be burnt out by game 15 or sooner.

Never the less what a great statement from Ricky Williams!! :up:

P.S. Thanks FFIC for the link.:wink2:

20. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    You're such a tease

21. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Even with Ricky coming back and being such a positive part of the team, there are still "fans" here who have negative references to Ricky in either their user names, avatars, and/or sig block. I'd like to see all those types of things gone from this forum. Even user names can be changed.

djphinfan likes this.