1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There's a method behind the Miami Dolphins play-calling madness

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Dec 4, 2009.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...cat-wildpat-1206-20091204,0,688357,full.story

mbmonk and Killerphins like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, I have no problem with Henning, 24 pts a game with a rookie Qb and no really good let alone great Wr or Te's.

My beef with Henne is sometimes he falls in love with the WC and it clouds actual game conditions when makes a play call.

FinsPensFan and dolfan7171 like this.
  3. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Interesting analysis!!

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well it is true!

Henne has 7 TD's and 7 Int's, not terrible for a first year starting, but we are also trying to win ball games not spoon feed a young Qb, that means Henning has to be creative and still use both the Wildcat and the Pat Pack.

That pass by RW was a mistake, but they happen, I can live with it.

I mean look at our Receiving Corps, the leader has what 400 yds? We have 3 TD's to Receivers, we have to use what we got.

Now DC Pasqualoni...he got some splainin' to do....:angry:

5. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    you meant Henning

6. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    We need two new stud receivers in free agency or the draft. If RB Sheets has 4.3 speed why don't we play him. He can't drop more balls then Ginn.:yes:

padre31 likes this.
  7. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Kory sheets is a running back

8. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I said RB in my post bro. We can use him in other spots since our wide receivers stink.

Killerphins likes this.
  9. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    i would love to see more carries for Hilliard sunday
    Rick had 20 carries early in the 3rd quarter
    They were supposed to be counting them
    25 was the magic number

Henning bugs me with his swagger in the article
    defends himself yet barks up his own tree

expect a few more clueless calls against the Pats

10. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    my bad

i like Hartline
    every team needs a WR like Bess
    i still want to see Patrick Turner
    you give a third for the guy play him

11. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    The only WR I would bring back next year would be Hartline and maybe Bess if he can cure the drops. If we can get a stud WR in Free Agency, or even trade our number one I am all for it. I truly miss the days of Paul Warfield, Nat Moore, The Marx Brothers, and OJ McDuffie. Back when the Miami Dolphins had proud WR's.

skippysphins and dolphindebby like this.
  12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'm down with that Bro...:hi5:

But to me, we don't even need to convert him to Wr, just use him like a scatback, screens, draws, passes in the flat, let that 4.3 do the rest.

Been saying we need a change of pace back, badly, to many elephants not enough waterbugs imho.

And I like Ginn the Kick Returner and like even more they are putting him on punt returns as well.

skippysphins and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  13. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    You read my mind bro. I would love to see what Sheets could do with a few snaps after Ricky has beat up a D line with our offensive line and Polite.:hi5: I was just suggesting to use Sheets as pass catcher from time to time. Who knows he may make something happen.

14. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Brother Padre please submit your application for Offensive Coordinator to the Dolphins Personnel office. They are looking for a can do guy with great vision.:up:

15. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    why does the article say we host New England today? The game is on Sunday.

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Oh yeah baby.

The thing of it is, Sparano won't play anyone until he is 100% certain that they are 100% prepared to play in all phases of the game, ST, Blocking, the small things, in that he reminds me a bit of Shula.

Difference between Shoes and Sparano is, Shoes would give the player a day, maybe two, and then play them, Sparano thinks in weeks and months, not days.

Meanwhile, more screens to Lou Polite...:lol:

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    "Hartline, warm up Pat White in the locker room, we don't want the Pats to know White is coming in on the first series..."

:shifty:

:lol:

The first thing I would do in all seriousness is line up White at Wr and send him in motion constantly, sometimes even jet motion like Ricky W used to run, the defense would be screwed...if we hand him the ball will he run, or pass?

keypusher and jetssuck like this.
  18. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    or get destroyed at the point of attack :wink2:

Firesole likes this.
  19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The Wr would have to block down on the OLB or DE and White does have escape ability.

No risk, no reward baby.

jetssuck likes this.
  20. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    So how much longer do we struggle as a team? The Jets beat the Bills, and we can't even beat the Bills! The coaching staff should be doing a better job then they are doing.:yes:

Firesole likes this.
  21. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Um....the Bills beat the Jets before they beat us. Sanchez threw like 6 picks.

We struggle until we learn that there is no reward without risk. Playing risk-free football only works when time is not a factor. At some point Sparano has to realize this. His stupid equation of rush attempts plus passes completed equals wins, is totally bogus. The formula for winning is desire, heart, and balls. We have no balls.

MrClean and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  22. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I know bro, I was just venting, and thinking of our recent debacles.:wink2: Great post though!:up:

jetssuck and GISH like this.
  23. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Disagree
    this Dolphins team has balls...

24. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Imo, if i see henning use ricky in ronnies role anymore, i'am going to have serious concerns about how he sees this offense...he's digging his grave...

If he uses Pat white, Thats cool with me, we need to see what this kid can do seeing that were almost eliminated from the playoffs....

Ricky does not have the peripheral vision, or the feet and hands, that Ronnie has out of the formation.. There takes a tremendous amout of skill to take that snap and do what ronnie does....controlled chaos..

So if henning does start to use ricky more in ronnies wildcat role...it tells me a lot...

keypusher and jetssuck like this.
  25. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Don't confuse smashmouth football with having the balls to go for the win. Against Carolina we had a chance at a FG to go up by 10. Instead we run for no gain and sacrifice the shot at a two score lead, just so we don't give them 7 more yards of field position. No balls!

26. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    the wildcat has been pretty much a goalline formation for us since Ronnie's injury. It's just a numbers game to get into the endzone. That is how we will use if from here on out. The Wildcat has found it's place in the NFL (inside the 10 yard line). We're not the only ones that use it that way.

jetssuck likes this.
  27. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    the football team has balls
    the brains bother me

28. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Ricky scored a TD out the Wildcat against the Bills

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    you know what i mean killer.

30. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I'd use the WC less due to Brown being out but I wouldn't abandon it. It's still useful down near the goal line, even in some games where it didn't total much yardage, it's still been a very effective way to punch the ball into the end zone.

I'd like to see them run it with what we have.....keep Ricky coming in motion and let one of Hilliard, Polite or Sheets take a snap and see what happens.

However, I'd rather just stick to the base offense as much as possible this Sunday vs the Pats. I can't see going up against Bellichek and trying to get too cute without Ronnie Brown. What made that thing go was the dual threat we had.

I expect to see Hilliard getting more carries than he did last week and earlier in the game. If he and Brown can become an effective duo, we can get by with a lot less wildcat........... and Pistol Pat as well. That's what I've seen enough of. Teach that kid how to catch a football and just quit with that midget QB in the spread BS. :pity:

We're wasting Pat White....

Somebody needs to wake up in that organization and start figuring out better ways to get him the ball in the open field. Make him a receiver and get it over with....this kills me

keypusher likes this.
  31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    you can use it in some short yardage situations with ronnie, but soon thats gonna close up, without the use of the misdirection thru ball handling and deception, ricky will be trying to run thru walls, more so the ronnie was.

Js, no way i want Sheets or hilliard takin the snap, once again, your not respecting Ronnie's formation specific skills, and giving to much to the formation...

Ronnie is gone...his part should be put on the shelf.

I diagree about Pat, The only player i would let take ronnies snaps is Pat, now i know he can't do what ronnie did from a power running formation, however, let him handle the jet sweep, hand it off, run it, or pass it, and let him play football...he can't be that x i wanted him to be in the wildcat, without ronnie.

32. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    not so much

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    what was your point about ricky scoriing a TD in the wildcat?

The only point iam trying to get across here, is that ricky can't sniff ronnies jock in the wildcat, so i see no advantages in using the formation..bad things will coninue to keep happening if they do.

34. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    While I don't expect anyone to just pick up where Brown left off, I can't see how it would hurt to at least explore the idea of another running back besides RW taking a few snaps. With Pat White out there it just turns into the spread and I'd rather not wander too far down that path. Generally when he's in there, I think it looks questionable that we just took Henne out of the game.

Personally I'd rather see him out there catching some slants and screen passes. Last time I checked we were dying for big play potential at WR. IMO, White has a better chance to fill that role than any receiver we have on the roster.

It's not unheard of for a QB to go out for a pass and when it comes to tricks well hell we are the Miami Dolphins...why not send the kid out on a couple routes? I wish they would just so I can show you how much YAC he'll be getting, darting all over the field after catching a slant. Are ya starting to feel it? lol

keypusher likes this.
  35. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    3 Int's in the last 3 minutes will beat any team trying to come from behind Bro.

Eh, it is a long tradition in Miami since the Wanny Era to blame the coaches, but you simply cannot overcome that many turnovers in that short a period of time, not with the leading Wr having maybe 500yds after 11 games.

What bothers me, especially after watching the Phins Patriots rewind from 1994, is we have no real youth at OLB, Tuna had McGinnest and Slade, this was the year that JP and JT should have been ready to anchor the Defense and make tons of plays, that really hasn't happened and imho that could set us back an entire season in trying to become a consistent Contender.

So basically we are a solid team, with youth at Cb and Qb and Wr, with a need for a real upgrade on the defense.

Keep in mind as well:

2004 2-14
    2005 9-7
    2006 6-10
    2007 1-15

As if that 18-46 isn't bad enough, we have maybe 6 players left from those drafts, so not only were we putrid, the payoff of "good position in the draft" never happened, those 5th yr players who should be anchors on the team just aren't there, it will take more time to erase the past draft mistakes as well.

In that sense, we are doing better than maybe we should be doing.

keypusher likes this.
  36. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, RW looked like he was doing a pretty good job at it though Dj.

To me, White helps with the formation "if" they have the guts to trust him to do more, he can run the ball up inside but White's real value in that formation is his passing, yet he has thrown 5 passes all year, non for completions.

The only thing RW doesn't offer out of the direct snap is the ability to break a long run when he goes up the middle, he still can end up with 5yds +.

White really should be the WC triggerman with RW running the Jet Sweep motion.

So far all RW has done is take a direct snap, there has been not a single play with RW as the WC Qb and anyone running the Sweep motion.

What I'd like to know is, "where is Kory Sperry?"

37. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    The Dolphins were 4-12 in 2004

38. Gitrdone

Gitrdone New Member

May 22, 2009
    Canada EH!
    Lets back this bus up a little shall we. We had Ronnie Brown, a running back who was probably a better WR then any WR on our team. Did we use him for that? No. So why in gods name would we draft a RB to do that, when we already have one on our team that can do that, but we don't use him?

39. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Good thing or maybe not...
    Sparano is lucky Bill didn't use that same philosophy with him
    100 % prepared...:no:

40. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Nice thread, lots of interesting posts. Maybe the OC will read it.

jetssuck likes this.