1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There's no room for football in Westbrook's heart

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by ATVZ400, Apr 17, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    TEMPE, Ariz. -- It was early evening at Arizona Combat Sports and the man behind the counter had his feet propped on a desk and his hands folded comfortably behind his head.

A visitor inquired about the whereabouts of Michael Westbrook.

"I'm Michael Westbrook,'' the man said as he stood and offered a handshake and smile.

Those are gestures Westbrook couldn't offer with much certainty or happiness a decade ago in the middle of a turbulent NFL career, when outrageous expectations, eggs bouncing off his front door and rumors about his sexual orientation made life miserable.

As Westbrook, 35, began giving a tour of the mixed-martial arts training facility, he was downright gleeful. Funny, but the writer and photographer he guided are members of the media, a group Westbrook collectively despised when he was playing wide receiver for the Washington Redskins and failing to live up to the lofty expectations that came with being the fourth overall pick in the 1995 draft.

He pointed out the rings where guys training for Ultimate Fighting slug each other with very few rules. Westbrook moved through another room full of weights before stopping at the door to the room at the back of the facility.

The pause is appropriate because you're about to enter Westbrook's sanctuary. You're about to enter the place where Michael Westbrook truly found Michael Westbrook and forgot football.

"I love my life,'' Westbrook said. "I'm having fun.''

The good fight

Life is simple and quiet for Westbrook these days. He lives in nearby Mesa ("I could live in Scottsdale, but it's too fake," he said). When he's not with his daughter and two sons, there are two staples in just about every day.

LINK to rest of story
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=yasinskas_pat&id=3335714