1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TheTylernator's 2020 NFL Mock Draft: V2 (Off-Season Edition)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by thetylernator, Apr 1, 2020.

1. thetylernator

thetylernator You're as cold as ice, Officer Friendly.

Dec 31, 2014
    It's been awhile since my last mock update (over five months, specifically), but I have been tweaking it endlessly in that time. I've finally come to a point where I am confident in the realistic nature of this mock, and I won't be putting out another one until draft day.

Preliminaries:
    • For those that don't know, draft season is my work season. I heavily involve myself in the draft process through film study, prospect grading, and copious amounts of research. While it is, at the end of the day, for fun--it is also my dream to someday do this for a living.
    • This mock consists of two rounds of projected selections.
    • While projecting trades can skew a mock even further into obscurity, they are also a given in any draft: therefore, I have carefully and thoughtfully projected trades in the first round of this mock. Consequences of these trades are apparent in round two.
    • Credit to the writers at DraftTek.com, TheDraftNetwork.com, ProFootballFocus.com, Walter Cherepinsky at WalterFootball.com, Lance Zierlein at NFL.com, and Travis Wingfield at MiamiDolphins.com for various degrees of insight into this year's draft.

Round One

1. Cincinnati Bengals: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

Cincinnati won't be moving out of this spot, no matter the offer. Burrow is a Bengal.

2. Washington Redskins: Chase Young, EDGE, Ohio State

Washington has been rumored as a potential trade partner for QB-needy teams, but that would mean sacrificing the blue-chip talent that is Chase Young. If any other head coach were at the helm, maybe--but Ron Rivera? I don't see it.

3. [PROJECTED TRADE w/ DET] Miami Dolphins: Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama

Isn't it funny how, throughout the pre-draft process, Miami has been linked to every quarterback except Tua? Don't be fooled: he's their guy, and they're going to get him. However, a trade-up is a near certainty.

4. [PROJECTED TRADE w/ NYG] Las Vegas Raiders: Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio State

The Miami-Detroit trade left Jeffrey Okudah available, and the Raiders--with two first round selections--are ripe to pounce on the opportunity. Jon Gruden reportedly loves Okudah, while Las Vegas's FO may believe that they are a lockdown corner away from contention. Expect them to be aggressive in fixing this last-ranked pass defense.

5. [PROJECTED TRADE w/ MIA] Detroit Lions: Isaiah Simmons, OLB, Clemson

Detroit whiffs on Okudah, but Simmons is quite the consolation prize for a Patricia-led defense that preaches versatility and scheme flexibility.

6. Los Angeles Chargers: Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon

Just outside of the unpredictable top-five, the Chargers are in a position to sit tight and pounce on whatever trade fallout presents itself at their pick. In this case, it's Justin Herbert, who will compete with Tyrod Taylor for the keys to the franchise (spoiler: Herbert wins).

7. Carolina Panthers: Derrick Brown, DL1T, Auburn

Carolina is in a similar position as the Chargers, but they are nowhere near as ready to compete. The defense is barren of talent and identity, and Brown--arguably the second-best defender in this draft--would be as good a place as any to begin this overhaul.

8. Arizona Cardinals: Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa

The Cardinals addressed many areas in free agency--including the bolstering of their receiving corps with the theft of De'Andre Hopkins--but Kyler Murray remains largely unprotected. Meanwhile, Wirfs has developed into the consensus No. 1 offensive lineman in the midst of a stout class.

9. Jacksonville Jaguars: C.J. Henderson, CB, Florida

A month ago, Jacksonville could have had Henderson in the second frame. Today, Henderson's stock is soaring, and several teams reportedly expect him to go in the top-10. If the Jaguars want to finally replace Jalen Ramsey with a quality outside corner, they'll have to use this pick to get it done.

10. Cleveland Browns: Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama

Cleveland is still very much in the mix for Trent Williams, but if a deal isn't reached by draft night, I expect Cleveland to address the problem here. Wills is technically proficient and combines the footwork of a dancer with the punches of a boxer. Several teams are reportedly in love with him.

11. New York Jets: Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

This is a popular spot for the first wide receiver to come off the board, but I'm hearing that the Jets prefer to address the right tackle position first, capitalizing on the deep wide-receiver class later. Thomas, meanwhile, has drawn comparisons to Ja'Wuan James, making him a fine fit on right side.

12. [PROJECTED TRADE w/ LV] New York Giants: Jerry Jeudy, WRF, Alabama

The Giants have never traded down under Gettleman, but I believe that changes this year. They are reportedly open for business, and they have enough needs that it makes sense to move down. I imagine they would be thrilled to replace Odell Beckham with Jerry Jeudy, who many are calling an Odell Beckham clone.

13. San Francisco 49ers: CeeDee Lamb, WRF, Oklahoma

Missing on Emmanuel Sanders means that the 49ers may no longer have the luxury of drafting the best player available here. Luckily for them, Lamb is the best player available. They simply cannot go into 2020 without a complement to Deebo Samuel.

14. [PROJECTED TRADE w/ TB] Miami Dolphins: Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville

I have heard that Miami is willing to part with No. 26 in a potential trade, but not No. 18. They are set on using that pick to land one of the draft's top-four offensive tackles, and they realize that they made need to use it in another trade-up scenario. In this case, three of the top-four offensive tackles are off the board, and Miami will need to move ahead of Denver to land the last. We've heard all off-season that the Dolphins are going to be players in this year's draft, and I fully expect them to make multiple trades in the first round. Landing Becton is a huge step in the right direction for this franchise, and you can lock him in at RT (Tua's blindside) on day one.

15. [PROJECTED TRADE w/ DEN] Seattle Seahawks: Javon Kinlaw, DL3T, South Carolina

Expect Denver to trade down if they miss out on the elite offensive tackles. In this case, Seattle comes all the way up from No. 27 to secure Javon Kinlaw, who has been projected as high as No. 7. The sky is the ceiling for Kinlaw, and while he could take a few years to reach his potential, he'll still bolster a middle-of-the-pack defensive line right away. Seattle has multiple second-round picks to make this deal happen.

16. [PROJECTED TRADE w/ ATL] Minnesota Vikings: K'Lavon Chaisson, EDGE, LSU

Trade fallout continues. Atlanta has their eyes on defensive tackles and cornerbacks, and with Kinlaw coming off the board one spot earlier, they're a prime candidate to trade down and land a corner later. Minnesota, on the other hand, has plenty of draft ammunition to come up for a replacement for Everson Griffen.

17. Dallas Cowboys: Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama

Dallas is in a surprisingly luxurious spot, with their only glaring need being for a versatile man-coverage corner. Diggs is exactly that. He may not boast the same other-worldly athleticism as Byron Jones, but he fills those shoes in a nice way.

18. [PROJECTED TRADE w/ MIA] Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama

The 'Bucs have done an excellent job of rounding out their roster in free agency, and over the past few years, they've quietly built a contender. The remaining holes on this team are at safety and change-of-pace/pass-catching running back. They're lucky to land the draft's top safety after trading down with Miami.

19. [PROJECTED TRADE w/ LV] New York Giants: Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, Penn State

The Giants secured both of the Raider's first round selections in the blockbuster Okudah deal, and I would hope they'll use one of them to address their woeful pass-rush. Gross-Matos is a raw defender, but in the right system and under the right coaching, he could flourish just as Ziggy Ansah once did.

20. Jacksonville Jaguars: Solomon Kindley, OG, Georgia

Kindley isn't the top guard by national or media consensus, but several teams are infatuated with his ceiling and believe him to have potential the potential of the next great guard. Personally, I don't feel the same way, but Jacksonville might, and if PFF's offensive line grades are of any concern to them, they had better address this position at some point.

21. Philadelphia Eagles: Henry Ruggs III, WRF, Alabama

This is a steal. Not only does Phildelphia need speed, they need a true No. 1 wide receiver, and Ruggs is both of those things. From a schematic standpoint, he fits beautifully into this offense and should complement Carson Wentz's dynamite arm very well. I have to imagine that the Eagles will be ready to trade up for him if they need to, but in this mock, they luck out.

22. [PROJECTED TRADE w/ MIN] Atlanta Falcons: Kristan Fulton, CB, LSU

If the season started today, Atlanta's No. 1 corner would be Jordan Miller--a fifth-round draft choice last year. I believe this team could be poised to rebound in a big way in 2020, but they won't go far if the cornerback position remains stagnant. Kristian Fulton is a talented and experienced starter who fits this zone-coverage scheme like a glove.

23. New England Patriots: A.J. Epenesa, DL5T, Iowa

Quarterback is a commonly mocked position for New England, but I don't see it. They seem confident to let the marbles fall where they will with Stidham at the helm, and if all else fails, capitalize on the elite crop of QB's in 2021. On the other side of the field, New England has yet to replace Trey Flowers, and that was evident towards the end of 2019. Epenesa is an outstanding 5-technique and he should appeal to Belichick with his versatility along the defensive line.

24. New Orleans Saints: Patrick Queen, OLB, LSU

New Orleans is in an elite tier shared by only Kansas City--they are in the best positions league-wide, have minimal deficiencies, including well defined strengths. However, if you want to nit-pick, the Saints could stand to upgrade Alex Anzalone and/or Kiko Alonso at linebacker. Queen saw a late rise in his draft stock and could hear his name called on Thursday night.

25. Minnesota Vikings: A.J. Terrell, CB, Clemson

It's no secret that Mike Zimmer is rebuilding his once-vaunted defense. Chaisson was a start, but he needs to find another cornerback to pair with 2018 first-rounder Mike Hughes. Terrell is more of a second-round prospect, but a lack of depth at the position could force him up many draft boards.

26. Miami Dolphins: Netane Muti, OG, Fresno State

Miami will be tempted to trade down from No. 26 to recoup some of the picks that were lost in the two previous trades, but Muti being available makes that a difficult pill to swallow. If they're serious about finally fixing the offensive line, they'll draft the best 2020 guard prospect right here. If they trade down, he won't make it past the Ravens. Muti slots in on the right side next to Becton to form one of the nastiest tandems in the league.

27. [PROJECTED TRADE w/ SEA] Denver Broncos: Kenneth Murray, ILB, Oklahoma

Denver traded way down after missing out on the cream of the crop of offensive tackles, but in doing so, they netted some serious second-round value and have the opportunity to draft Kenneth Murray--an outstanding inside linebacker who will unseat Alexander Johnson as the starter in their base 3-4.

28. Baltimore Ravens: Zack Baun, EDGE, Wisconsin

The Ravens need help at linebacker, both on the inside and outside. Baun is a feared 3-4 EDGE rusher with excellent hand techniques. He's surprisingly refined and could find a nice home on a Baltimore team that is going all-in right now.

29. Tennessee Titans: Austin Jackson, OT, USC

Jack Conklin was a major factor in Tennessee's success on the ground last year, and without him, it's fair to ask if Derrick Henry will continue to perform at the same level. I expect the Titans to address that in a deep tackle class, starting with this USC product.

30. Green Bay Packers: Tee Higgins, WRF, Clemson

The 'Pack proved to be overly-confident in their wide-receivers last off-season, and they paid the price for that in the playoffs. Aaron Rodgers needs help outside of Davante Adams and they better not be content with Devin Funchess. On the other hand, Tee Higgins can be the redzone threat that Rodgers needs to force Green Bay into a deep run.

31. San Francisco 49ers: Justin Madubuike, DL3T, Mississippi State

I don't buy that the 49ers are going to trot Solomon Thomas out as their DT2. He's been a colossal bust thus far, and I expect San Francisco to at least provide competition here after trading away DeForest Buckner.

32. [PROJECTED TRADE w/ KC] Detroit Lions: Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State

Detroit utilizes the capital they received in the Miami trade to jump back into Thursday night (ahead of the cornerback-needy Bengals at No. 33). They land the best CB on the board in Damon Arnette, effectively replacing Darius Slay.

Round Two

33. Cincinnati Bengals: Lloyd Cushenberry III, OC, LSU
    34. Indianapolis Colts: Jordan Love, QB, Utah State
    35. [PROJECTED TRADE w/ DET] Kansas City Chiefs: D'Andre Swift, RBC, Georgia
    36. New York Giants: Josh Jones, OT, Houston
    37. Los Angeles Chargers: Jonathan Taylor, RBF, Wisconsin
    38. Carolina Panthers: Shane Lemiuex, OG, Oregon
    39. [PROJECTED TRADE w/ MIA] Detroit Lions: John Simpson, OG, Clemson
    40. Houston Texans: Julian Okwara, EDGE, Notre Dame
    41. Cleveland Browns: Troy Dye, ILB, Oregon
    42. Jacksonville Jaguars: Justin Jefferson, WRF, LSU
    43. Chicago Bears: Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne
    44. Indianapolis Colts: Laviska Shenault Jr., WRF, Colorado
    45. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RBC, LSU
    46. Denver Broncos: Jalen Reagor, WRS, TCU
    47. Atlanta Falcons: Ross Blacklock, DL3T, TCU
    48. New York Jets: Brandon Aiyuk, WRF, Arizona State
    49. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jacob Eason, QB, Washington
    50. Chicago Bears: Denzel Mims, WRF, Baylor
    51. Dallas Cowboys: K.J. Hamler, WRF, Penn State
    52. Los Angeles Rams: Cesar Ruiz, OC, Michigan
    53. Phildelphia Eagles: Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah
    54. Buffalo Bills: J.K. Dobbins, RBF, Ohio State
    55. Baltimore Ravens: Grant Delpit, S, LSU
    56. Miami Dolphins: Antoine Winfield Jr., S, Minnesota
    57. Houston Texans: Damien Lewis, OG, LSU
    58. [PROJECTED TRADE w/ MIN] Atlanta Falcons: Terrell Lewis, EDGE, Alabama
    59. [PROJECTED TRADE w/ SEA] Denver Broncos: Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU
    60. Baltimore Ravens: Jordyn Brooks, ILB, Texas Tech
    61. Tennessee Titans: Curtis Weaver, EDGE, Boise State
    62. Green Bay Packers: Neville Gallimore, DL1T, Oklahoma
    63. Kansas City Chiefs: Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia
    64. Seattle Seahawks: Jabari Zuniga, EDGE, Florida

Notable Players Who Fell: Javon Kinlaw, Henry Ruggs, Josh Jones, Ross Blacklock, Denzel Mims, Cesar Ruiz, Grant Delpit, Antoine Winfield Jr.

Notable Players Who Were Overdrafted: Solomon Kindley, A.J. Terrell, Troy Dye, Damien Lewis

The Surprise: No tight-ends in the first two rounds!

Miami's Haul: Tua Tagovailoa, Mekhi Becton, Netane Muti, Antoine Winfield Jr.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    skippysphins and rafael like this.
  2. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I like Becton and wouldnt mind us ending up with him. Winfield Jr is good as well.

Everything else I'd be disappointed with, including Tua, especially trading up, but I'd swallow it.

Thanks for the hard work.

thetylernator likes this.
  3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Netane Muti? I haven't really seen him mentioned as either the top guard or a first rounder pretty much anywhere, though I admit I don't do personal film study or rankings - just going by the various mocks and big boards I see. I feel we would be more interested in versatile guys like Ruiz or Hennesy as well.

I do think the idea of us trading up for one of the top 4 OL makes sense, but not sure the Buccos would do that as they also could use a top OL to keep 43 year old Brady upright. RT is a sore spot for them.

4. thetylernator

thetylernator You're as cold as ice, Officer Friendly.

Dec 31, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback.

DraftTek.com is going to give you very reliable prospect rankings. They're far and away the most accurate in terms of overall rankings and where that prospect ends up being drafted. Over there, Muti is ahead of all other guard prospects by almost 20 positions (https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-D...p-College-Offensive-Guards-2020-NFL-Draft.asp); of course, I've seen his stock vary from site-to-site too. I believe he's lower on TDN and Lance Zierlein's rankings. I'm confident it's between him and Kindley to be the first guard taken.

Fair point about the 'Bucs. They could absolutely stand to bolster the right side of the OL, though it isn't their biggest need. I think that if a tackle they really like falls to them, they'll draft him, but they should feel okay about Joe Haeg going into 2020. He didn't play much last year, but he was above average (71.9 per PFF) when he did.

texanphinatic likes this.
  5. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith New Member

Apr 13, 2020
    Good call on DraftTek. They are very reliable.