1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thigpen: I was the backup last season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Muck, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    That is some very welcomed news.

I have zero doubt that they'll be allowed to compete next year. And Thigpen will win. I just hope that if White is active on gamedays, we see less of the Henne-less packages and more of White lining up elsewhere.

2. skippysphins

skippysphins Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    the poconos
    i kinda thought that anyway

3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    This is all as it should be.
    Its going to be unpopluar to hear, but I think Tyler has a chance to actually be the starter.....been saying it since he came to Miami.
    That being said, if he does become the starter, that is really saying something cause I do think Henne is gonna be very good.

JimToss likes this.
  4. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Agreed Muck. :up:

5. Miamifan1354

Miamifan1354 Not Good Enough.

Jan 3, 2008
    I thought this was pretty obvious. It's the same way they handled Henne. When Pennington was in there, Henne was #3 and White ran wild cat stuff.

If the Starter goes out, the third guy can still go in, he just can't be replaced, right?

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Right...

The Dolphins wanted no part of Pat White taking snaps behind center.

7. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I would have to agree with you.I thought thigpen got a raw deal in kc because he had in 2008 18 tds and 12 ints.That is not bad for a first time starter.
    In saying in that I think henne will emerge the starter but we would be in good hands if he went down.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  8. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Plus he only played 14 games and add another 386 yards rushing...plus he's only about a year older than Henne

9. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    don't think Thigpen has any realistic shot to unseat Henne as the starter ... but just as most of believed last year ... he is and will be the backup

i'm just glad we picked him up ... 1- to save us from PW, 2- Thigpen probably gives us a better alternative to the WC anyway

10. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    You'd think he definitely has an outside shot to win the starting job. I love the guy's athleticism and we saw that he has a good arm. I'd like to think if he did win the job it would be because he was playing out of his mind and not b/c Henne regressed or anything.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  11. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    For all the talk about how White was the number 2 I think most of us figured this was the case.

But I will tell you what, this makes the game where Henne went out and White got hurt even more damming in my eyes. Once it was clear Henne was not going to come back they should have but in Thigpen instead of running White out there play after play in a predictable rushing attack that allowed the D to Tee off on White on a day that ended in him getting hurt.

Putting White out there for a player to two is OK, but doing it for entire series is just dumb unless you trust him enough to throw it which we obviously didnt. Horrible job of player management IMO.

12. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    great stuff. I said the same thing and was called a troll for doing so when I joined this site
    Won't mention any names 'cause they know who they are LOL :up:

13. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Problem is, when Henne went out, they kept playing White, Thigpen should have gotten those snaps even if it meant White was out of the game.

14. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    :cry: your still a troll

:wink2:

FinSane, Killerphins and LandShark13 like this.
  15. Finsanity

Finsanity New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    City of Angels
    Just activate White as a WR.

KB21 likes this.
  16. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    The only chance this guy has of starting here is if Henne gets hurt. Maybe it happens but the best case scenario for Thigpen is to get a little time starting here due to injury and getting traded to a team that will let him start. I like him as a backup but I think we are in trouble if he's a 16 game starter here.

17. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    love me or hate me just don't ignore me
    you'll wake up one morning and realize I'm right the majority of the time :up:

18. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I think we all pretty much knew that, same as when Penny was still playing and Henne was 3rd string.. we all knew that if Pennington went down Henne was getting the call, not white.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  19. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    just like we all know that pat white is not an NFL quarterback
    not at all hard to see
    unfortunately that whole botched experiment cost us an extremely valuable pick

cdz12250 likes this.
  20. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Ditto. I was one of the most excited on this board with the Pat White pick. I thought that he would be able to make the transition from major college ball to the NFL, giving the Wildcat a throwing option. But I never thought that I would see the equivalent of a Pop Warner player trying to play high school ball. I haven't seen much evidence that Pat White isn't exactly that.

21. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I like the guy and I would love to see him have a strong preseason for us.
    If henne gets hurt this guy could step right in for us and win us some games.I do not feel we can beat anybody with pat white under center.

22. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    beat anybody with pat white?
    hell we can't even complete a pass with pat white under center. :lol:

Tin Indian likes this.
  23. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    best thing to hope for at this point is that maybe White can make a transition to serviceable WR.
    If he can, at least the pick won't be a total wash.

MrClean likes this.
  24. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Hey thats not even a four letter word your doing fine.:lol:

25. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    If its true competition Thigpen already won the spot over White in the Steelers game. Wasn't even close. Pat White has alot to prove to get that spot back if he ever had it atleast it wasn't from lack of trying.

26. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Eh. Why did White go in then when Henne got hurt? Either Thigpens lying or our coaches really have no idea what to do in a crisis. Neither is very comforting.

As for the situation, let the two play. White clearly wasn't ready for the role yet and that was obvious. But he was never supposed to be in the role last season either. We'll see how he does with another offseason and another training camp. I still believe in him.

27. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    White had to go in due to rules. He was put down as the backup QB on game day. Only 2 can play unless they both get hurt and then the 3rd can go in the game, which is what happened in the game. No great conspiracies here or incompetence. The wildcat hamstrung us this way with using Pat White in some of its packages

28. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Close - what actually happened is that Henne was injured prior to the half and was suffering from blurred vision. The Dolphins were hoping that his vision would clear and they'd be able to put him back in the game. The problem with the 3rd QB rule is that if Thigpen went in before the 4th, the Dolphins wouldn't be able to return Henne to the game, so they played White thinking that Henne would be able to go back in.

That having been said, I think they learned from their mistakes with White and we won't be seeing him as the 2nd for any reason at this point. He just can't run the offense at all.

Tin Indian and NyPhinfan like this.
  29. frozenfin

frozenfin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Is that what the staff has confirmed? I've been wondering why White went in instead of Thigpen, especially if Thigpen was the 'true' backup like Henne was at the start of the year. That would be the only good reason, there was a chance Henne would have gone back in the game. But Henne went in right away without hesitation in the Charger game when Pennington was hurt, did the staff know right away that Pennington was done for the day? Otherwise why would White not have gone in at that time, at least for a few plays or the rest of the drive? When CP was hurt Henne went in, but when Henne was hurt White went in, seems inconsistent to me.

Would Henne have been able to go back in the game... did his symptoms reflect any aspect of new concussion rules?

30. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Apparently Henne came out and said it wasn't a concussion. Or at least that was what I was told by another poster here. But a hit to the head followed by blurry vision is a symptom of a concussion. It also took a couple weeks before things got back to normal so who knows.

frozenfin likes this.
  31. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    That's what the official story was. There was some confusion at first regarding the possibility of a conspiracy for getting Pat White extended playing time, but Henne himself came out and said that he was suffering from blurry vision. They knew Pennington was done for the day when he went to the bench and had them cut his jersey off to take a look at his shoulder. White wasn't in any way ready to take over for Pennington at that point though considering it was only game 3. Hell, White wasn't ready in week 17, they had no choice but to put in Henne for the rest of the game. That game started a strange trend where Henne's first 3 interceptions were returned for touchdowns.

Henne might have been able to go back into the game, as they said that it wasn't a concussion, but since his vision never cleared it's a moot point.

frozenfin likes this.
  32. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    This is all AJ Feeley smoke in a bottle,if Thigpen is out backup as of now,we better draft another QB or hope Penny is healed up.

33. frozenfin

frozenfin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Everyone in the room watching the Steelers game with me all laughed at how absurd an "eye injury" sounded at the time, which is the info the TV announcers had during the game. I'm sure that will be an issue faced with the concussion hoopla now, the grey areas in what may constitute concussion symptoms and so on, lots of potential confusion there, but that's another topic for another day heh.

Thanks for helping clear that up folks!

Thigpen can make exciting things happen, and from what I've seen I would be comfortable with him as a backup.

34. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Bingo!

Somebody hand me some crow, I'm hungry. I felt the same way when we drafted him, I didn't like the pick at all, but figured well it's Parcells so PW must be the guy that's going to take the WildCat to the next level. Tried hard to get on board with PW, even argued with KB who I have no business arguing with.

I guess this has to be considered a Mulligan for Parcells and Ireland, JMHO but they swung and missed on that one, whiffed badly. Hope someday the kid proves me wrong, but seriously doubt that will happen.

KB21 likes this.
  35. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

That is how I understand it.

36. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

By 2011, our starting WRs will be Pat White and Golden Tate. :)

37. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    As much as I hate to say it, I concur! And I would love to be proven wrong by having him show up and do something to do that - but I do not think it will be as a quarterback!