1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things I think I think, post draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, May 2, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    For a number of reasons rookie defensive end Kendall Langford is the new Dolphin I'm most interested in watching during this weekend's rookie minicamp.

I'm curious to see if Langford, who dominated at Hampton, which competes at the Division I-AA level, is able to make his athleticism and strength translate to the next level immediately. Of course he should struggle technique wise against NFL veterans. But if the Trifecta is right, his combination of size and strength should allow him to have his way against most of the rookie offensive linemen this week.

The Dolphins clearly had Langford atop their draft board on day 2 despite addressing his position on Saturday, selecting Clemson's Phillip Merling with the first pick in the second round.

Do you know how impressed they must have been to snatch Langford up a round earlier than he was projected, just to keep him away from all the other 3-4 teams (Pittsburgh, the Browns, the Jets) that targeted him? Then General Manager Jeff Ireland admitted they've had their eyes on Langford since last May, when scouting departments begin preparing for the next year's draft. That's pretty impressive praise for a player coming from the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference....

In case you missed it, I'm confident free agent addition Justin Smiley will be moved to left guard to ease Jake Long's transition to the NFL. It's much smarter to put Long next to a veteran as opposed to having two rookies playing side-by-side. Just imagine the kind of gang bang blitzes that would have brought. Now the only unsettled position is right guard, where rookies Shawn Murphy and Donald Thomas will begin their heated battle to determine who seriously takes on Drew Mormino and Ikechuku Ndukwe. Ndukwe shouldn't be overlooked considering he's survived four rounds of roster cuts already.

link to rest of story
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2008/05/things-i-think.html