1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of moving to Seattle..

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Nappy Roots, Jun 9, 2010.

1. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Like I said, awfully strong "opinion" considering you don't know either of them, or all the facts.

Sometimes in life we make decisions based on what we feel we should do, our obligations, responsibilities........ not what we want or that which makes us the happiest. Regardless of whether or not we've found "the one"...

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    How does this situation fall into those times in life?

"the one" doesn't exist.

3. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Like jetssuck said, its not all that simple. I do love her, but if I don't go, she isn't going. So if I were going to lose her if I didn't go, id definitely go and give it a try. But its not all easy as life style with friends and family. My brother is about to 6 and doesn't exactly have the most stable parents. Trust me, I spent a long time with my mom and how she is. I had to be more or less raised by my grandmother even when I wasn't living with her. My grandma was gigantic in my life, and wad equally huge in my brothers. I mean she would keep him 3 nights a week. She would also check on my mom so much to make sure my mom was "ok" to keep him. My grand mother passed away earlier this year. So my brother has mom, his dad, and me. And like I said his parents aren't exactly the most stable people.

jetssuck likes this.
  4. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    "I make almost daily trips to see my mom and 5 year old brother. Man how I would miss him."

He has a 5 yr old brother...... If I were in that situation I would feel VERY guilty leaving him and knowing that I wouldn't be there for him as he grew up. There's your situation right there.... it's called making a self sacrifice. For some of us, we do it without much thought.............for others, not so much. Depends on the person and in most cases your family situation.

Sadly, not for everyone

5. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I think you know the answer then, brother

And props to you for being responsible when it comes to your little brother.........good man

6. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    A bird could spontaneously generate from a soda can?

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That changes everything. No offense, but that would have been helpful information from the get go.

jetssuck likes this.
  8. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    While I didn't know the back story, it was the little brother that for me made this a situation where it wasn't just cut and dry.....

I was in a similar position years ago, a brother much younger than I and parents getting up there in age. I wanted to leave, I mean REALLY wanted to leave but in the end, I just couldn't leave my little brother. Nor abandon my parents at a time when I knew they were going to start needing me more and more.

Sometimes it's not as simple as "how much do you love her/him" or are they "the one"

9. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    You obviously don't have any idea how hot it gets here in Florida during summer.... everywhere you look, soda cans dropping from trees and power lines. Crazy huh?

10. 1armychick

1armychick New Member

Jun 25, 2009

Or it could mean that he is tooooo scared to leave his bubble. Comfort and routine are much easier to deal with than change. (Yes, I saw your response to the brother comment, but I wanted to throw something else out there).

NappyRoots, on another note, the responsibility you feels for your brother is a heavy one. I had to leave my children for a year. The decision was not mine to make, only to follow. It sucked. But I survived. If it were any other reason than your younger brother in not exactly the best of circumstances with his parents, you should go, just for the adventure. Life doesn't work out all of the time. But the experience can last forever.

Ever thought of taking him with you?

11. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I think there are a few questions you need to ask yourself to get an answer to your own doubts.

For starters, Could you envision living your whole life in Florida or would you be willing to move for a girl you love (Im assuming you love her)? Is everything in Florida exactly how you want it to be? If so, would put yourself in a situation without this girl....Is it still perfect? If the answers to those two questions are yes to the first and no to the second then you go with her because obviously she makes it work for you.

Also, here's three other things you need to remember. One is that just because you leave Florida for now, it doesn't mean you cant come back. Two is that she is probably just as scared as you are moving somewhere where she probably knows a few if any people. Three is that if she's asking you to come with her she cares enough about you that if you love her you should want to go.

Totally understand your feelings about your brother. When I was away at school, it was hard for me to to be away from my sister. Like I said though, just cause you go away for a little while, it doesn't mean you're going away for good. Your parents need to learn responsibility for your brother at some point. You have a right to live your life and you know right from wrong so do whatever you feel is right. If you feel it is more important for you to watch your brother then you stay in Florida...If you feel you and your woman can start a life in Seattle then you follow your dreams there. No choice is ultimately permanent.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    No, there is no just thing as "the one". The idea that there is one person out there for everyone should be thrown away just like the idea that a fat man comes down the chiminey and brings you presents on the 25th of December.

The truth is there are many people out there that you can have a great life with and love very much. "the one" is just a way to sell Disney films and romantic comedies.

13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    If you decide to stay, I would suggest looking long and hard at yourself and your relationship. Do you believe this woman is the type who is willing to give up her dreams for the love of her life? I am serious because for some people being in a relationship is more important than their careers.

Sometimes in lives we have to make sacrifces like jetsucks says, and if your brother is more important in your life than her, then you might have to break up with her so she can follow her dreams.

14. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Your young enough to take chances dude, nothing wrong with taking chances at your age.

Go watch some Mariner games and keep in touch with your phins bro's.:up: