1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is how I see the greatest franchise in football looking next year

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by grushcow, Jan 5, 2008.

1. grushcow

grushcow New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I made this as realistic as I could but obviously I'd like to hear what everyone has to say. If Oakland loses the toss it is very possible to they trade up ahead of ATL to select DMac, either way we can get a trade partner, ATL or Oaktown.
    Free Agents
    QB Josh McCown – Oakland
    WR Bryant Johnson – Arizona
    OT Flozell Adams - Dallas
    DT Corey Williams – Green Bay
    CB Marcus Trufant - New England

2008 NFL Draft
    Trades: Jason Taylor Pittsburgh Steelers 1st Rounder
    Miami #1 Overall Oakland #4, #67, 2009 1st Rounder
    1a. Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio St.* - Pass rushing freak, take before Jets can take him.
    1b. Fred Davis, TE, USC – A major need filled with arguably the top TE in the draft.
    2a. Beau Bell, ILB, UNLV - Big bodied linebacker at 245 and fits the parcell's mold.
    2b. Dre Moore, NT, Maryland – Can play all over the line, similar in size to NTs Parcell’s has selected.
    3a. Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas St. – A steal here, only knock on him is the color of his skin.
    3b. Dwight Lowery, CB, San Jose St. - Great ballhawk, just what our secondary needs.
    4. Heath Benedict, G, Newberry – An absolute freak in every aspect, great value and size.
    6. Xavier Omon, RB, NW Missouri St. – Not a huge need but was the 2nd leading rusher this season.
    7. Bobby Reid, QB, Oklahoma St.* - Big bodied QB, very mobile and only junior to enter draft.

Our Team
    QB Josh McCown (FA), John Beck, Bobby Reid (D7)
    RB Ronnie Brown, Jesse Chatman, Lorenzo Booker, Xavier Omon (D6)
    FB Reagan Mauia
    WR1 Ted Ginn Jr., Derek Hagan, Greg Camarillo
    WR2 Bryant Johnson (FA), Jordy Nelson (D3)
    TE Fred Davis (D2) Justin Peele,
    LT Flozell Adams (FA)
    LG Chris Liwenski, Drew Mormino
    C Samson Satele
    RG L.J. Shelton , Heath Benedict (D4)
    RT Vernon Carey
    DE Rodrique Wright
    NT Corey Williams (FA), Dre Moore (D2), Paul Soliai
    DE Vonnie Holliday
    OLB Joey Porter, Quentin Moses
    ILB Zach Thomas, Donnie Spragan
    ILB Channing Crowder, Beau Bell (D2)
    OLB Vernon Gholston (D1), Abraham Wright
    CB1 Marcus Trufant (FA), Dwight Lowery (D3), Travis Daniels
    CB2 Will Allen, Michael Lehan
    FS Jason Allen
    SS Yeremiah Bell, Courtney Bryan
    K Jay Feely
    P Brandon Fields
    LS John Denney

Disclaimer:
    Matt Roth won't be with the team as he is to undersized and underachieved this season.
    Rex Hadnot will demand too much money and be let go.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  2. Milkmoney21

Milkmoney21 New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Ok seriously antonio bryant is good and all but our wide reciver group is lacking big time

3. diehardphinsfan

diehardphinsfan New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    looks amazing

4. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Maybe. I could see Hadnot being resigned before Faneca coming to Miami.

I'd be excited for a roster like that though.

5. grushcow

grushcow New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    imo hadnot is gonna demand way more then his worth and faneca won't cost much more, but he has a great work ethic, great size and can help this line in leaps and bounds.

6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    There's nothing realistic about landing Nnamdi Asomugha and Alan Faneca in the same free agency period, then trading down from the #1 overall pick in the same offseason. (And putting Faneca out of position at RG? Seriously?)

The Steelers don't need Jason Taylor. They've got the #1 ranked defense in the NFL this year. What are they going to send their first round pick to us for? Denver, however, needs help on defense, and there's a chance we could ship Taylor to Cleveland in exchange for Derek Anderson.

I like your draft, though. I don't get why you'd want to draft Talib after acquiring Asomugha, but he'd be a steal at that spot.

7. grushcow

grushcow New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    you make some good points but as good as asomugha is there is a deep CB class and he has to deal with competition from trufant and samuel, i wasn't sure which side faneca played on so I kinda guessed. The steelers are a contender and there defense needs an improved pass rush (although their pass rush is far from poor), it was just the most realistic team i could think of.

8. grushcow

grushcow New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    bryant johnson.....and who would you recomend, outside of trading there aren't to many options.

9. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yeah, the draft's CB class is great. But if you want to draft a corner, why spend the money on Asomugha in the first place? He's going to get an enormous contract from SOMEONE.

Faneca is a left guard, and it would take a lot--a LOT--of money to convince him to come here, given that he wants to play for Whisenhunt and Grimm in Arizona.

Denver and Cleveland are likely targets. Jim Bates is Denver's DC, and Shanahan sucks at defensive line scouting. Cleveland needs help on defense to make a serious playoff push next year.

10. grushcow

grushcow New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Frankly we are so thin at corner that adding two quality guys won't hurt, I'd rather a 2nd or 3rd round corner but in that position hes too good to pass up.

I hadn't heard the rumors about Faneca, Lilja is another option if he doesn't work.

Denver just drafted jarvis moss in the first last year and tim crowder in the 2nd, I don't think they need an end, they need a linebacker. cleveland makes sense but really what are we gonna get, they don't have a first so we get a late 2nd rounder for taylor? I don't think its worth it.

DeeperImage likes this.
  11. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
  12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Actually, we've got the #2 and #3 corner positions set between Allen and Lehan. All we need is that #1 CB. Asomugha or Trufant will fit the bill. I would draft a CB, but only on the second day to provide depth.

There's some serious turnover on Denver's defensive line this year, and they only drafted Jarvis Moss because he's as close to Jason Taylor as they could get. What if we offered them the real thing?

Straight-up swap: Jason Taylor for Derek Anderson (who will be given the max RFA tender, the equivalent of a 1st and 3rd round pick.)

13. grushcow

grushcow New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    if we could trade taylor for anderson it would be a dream, but how realistic is that??

14. phinsoldia

phinsoldia Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    i guess the term "rebuild" doesnt mean anything to anybody anymore and i hope you people arent hurt when we dont make a ginormas splash in free agency

15. Milkmoney21

Milkmoney21 New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Im just saying even if we get bryant johnson our WR dont look too good and your making him seem like hes the best wr free agent....he had rec 46 yards 528 and thats with a pass happy offense with kurt warner we cant even get a guy like kurt how are we suppose to be good.

16. phinsoldia

phinsoldia Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007

i feel differently i feel that we have our speed guy who can stretch the field we just need one great possesion guy we get a good tight end and we are great....johnny beck looks aight with some work he MIGHT be the guy

17. Finsavior

Finsavior New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Mexico
    I just found funny that you suggested to draft Aqib Talib and Jordy Nelson..., heres a vid of Nelson destroying Talib in one play (probably thats the vid that you saw that made you rule for Nelson after ruling too much for Talib?)

[ame]http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0ANQ8bRfo[/ame]

18. calfinfan

calfinfan New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    We need a LT so we can move Carey back to RT. And look for us to grow through the draft. Parcells and Ireland will look at FAs, however, will be very picky. The rebuild Cam started will be continued under Parcells watchful eye.

19. Finsavior

Finsavior New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Mexico
    I like Jordy Nelson, he has great upside, he is a smart player, he cuts well, he has plenty of speed, he has great hands, he has great athleticism, he has skills as k/p returner and also has skills at QB..., but he still has a problem, he is white (I'm not trying to be racist with that comment, but just to emphasize that afro-american players at that special position are way better and have something that make them succeed in this league, I just can't comprehend what is it that separate Kevin Curtis from Donte Stallworth), I know I'll be pretty criticized with this comment, but I wasn't really trying to be racist, but to put up my point of view.

I think that Jordy can be at best a Kevin Curtis or Brandon Stokley type of guy or could be one of the best (if not the best) players at slot WR, around Welker's level...

PS. I have nothing against non-colored people, I'm non-colored, but just tried to emphasize what I think about non-colored WR's.

Here you have some highlights about Jordy Nelson:

[ame]http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=W6B_VmbiR7o[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  20. Carabinieri44

Carabinieri44 New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    why would anyone wanna trade Jason Taylor for Derek Anderson STRAIGHT UP. if i trade Jason, im trading him for either a 1st, OR a 2nd AND 3rd.

derek anderson is good...behind a great OL, TE, WR, RBs....yet still manages to throw 19 INTs.

how about this...trade Jason Taylor plus next years 1st, for Dallas's TWO first round picks. that gives us 4 first round picks (#32 being a low 1st). imagine the talent on defense we would acquire with that!! im sure Jerry Jones feels like we are gonna be crappy next year too, so next year's 1st pick will be low...and we get #18 and #28 im guessing for it.

21. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    nobody is going to give multiple picks for JT. Take what you can get, and in this situation, a decent QB with a long career ahead of him is very fair.

22. Carabinieri44

Carabinieri44 New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Derek has the size....but gosh, the Browns have probably the best Left side offensive line in the NFL, including an overall GREAT line....a GREAT RB, 2 good receivers, probably the best tight end.....yet Derek still manages to toss 19 INTs.

23. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Derek Anderson is still developing. He most likely hasn't hit his ceiling yet.

And as a 1-15 team, chances are we still could be pretty crappy next season. Even if we finish with 5-6 wins, you're probably still talking about a top 10 draft pick. No thanks. And I'm not sure why Dallas would want JT when they have Ware to begin with.

24. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    It might come as a surprise, but the Raiders may not be as hot for McFadden as some people would like to believe. They already have 4 RB's under contract (Jordan, Rhodes, Fargas and Bush) and they really need help in other areas. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them select a Dorsey, C Long, Gholston or J Long if they had the chance.

I think alot of us hope that Al Davis pulls an Al Davis and just NEEDS to have the big name, but I don't see it happening.

The same with NE, I think alot of people look at the Pats and feel that their one weakness (if you want to call it that) is at RB. I see NE looking at guys like C Long, Gholston, Lauranitis, etc because their LB core is getting up in age. They still play at a high level, but at some point you have to look for their replacements. They might even trade down to acquire more picks, not all that uncommon for them.

Trading down from the #1 spot is easier said than done, unfortunately.

25. PhinGeneral

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    The competition is set by the marketplace, and proven, premium CB's are always in demand. If the Raiders don't keep him someone will give him a hefty contract.

26. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    haven't people been talking about chad Johnson?

27. PhinGeneral

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I agree. And when you consider the enormous bonus money that you have to give the #1 pick in the draft now, a team has to even more hot for a guy to even consider moving up.

28. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Yup, agreed.

I also don't see the Cowboys moving up for McFadden, they already have Barber. Again, I think people hope that Jerry Jones pulls a Jerry Jones and just has to have McFadden. I don't see it happening.

The Jets might be a possible landing spot for McFadden, though I don't see them trading up to #1.

29. Swampfox

Swampfox Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    Chad Johnson isnt an FA

30. grushcow

grushcow New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    when did I say anything about him being the best wr in free agency? I haven't said anything about him, that production is spectacular in an offense with fitzgerald and boldin ahead of him.

31. REV KEV

REV KEV New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Lots of fun but not realistic Desides is correct cleveland might trade with us for JT..., I know I would do it..., but it would break my heart..., overall teams just don't get as involved as your projections suggest..., fun to read

32. houtz

houtz New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    That would be amazing.

33. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Because Derek Anderson is worth a 1st and a 3rd, which is the maximum RFA tender that can be applied to him. A swap of Anderson and Taylor means that you've gotten the equivalent of a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick in a trade. That satisfies your demand for value.

Personally, I'd like to see Cleveland's OC come down here, not Derek Anderson. But the Taylor/Anderson swap is a possibility made slightly more likely thanks to Parcells' being here.

34. fin-atic

fin-atic New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    I dont like this at all. There are no studs on this roster.
    Where are your playmakers on offense? Seriously doubt McCown is much of an upgrade. I think you need to think in terms of getting some dominant players. You just swapped all of our aging and medicore talent for other aging and mediocre talent.

35. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
  36. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

Pretty sure he'd be our veteran backup...

I think, as a backup, he'd be fine.

37. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah and Welker is worth a 2nd and 7th; and Randy Moss is worth a 4th. Is Cleo worth a 2nd?
    The truth is a player is "worth" what he is traded for. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Derek Anderson has had one pretty decent year out of 2 in the NFL. The operative phrase is "pretty decent". Would any team really want to give up a 1st and 3rd for this guy?
    One more point I wanted to make here. People who use that value chart as any thing more than a general guideline are the "cottage industry gurus" that Parcells was referring to. You have to realistic and remember this isn't Madden.

38. DolfanDaveInATX

DolfanDaveInATX New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Wasn't Bobby Reid the guy who Mike Gundy benched?

39. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    As a back up he WOULD be fine. However the thread starter's depth chart listed McCown as our starting QB next year. This depth chart which is the thread topic, is what I was responding to.

40. Dolphins13Fan

Dolphins13Fan New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    First and foremost, I applaud you for your realistic approach to this.

That said, let me pick apart a few things.

I really am not of McCown. Way too inconsistent and at this point in his career, he's pretty much set in his ways. Maybe bring him in as a cheap backup to Beck, however I don't want to see him getting any significant PT as starter. As a backup, I think they can do far worse though. Really, when looking the available QBs, the pickings are pretty slim, unless the 49ers are willing to part with Dilfer. Even then, I'm not too sure I wanna see Miami give up anything to get him.

I'm liking this idea. Johnson's a guy who I think can put up a thousand + per year and get around 8-10 TDs, serving as a good, young compliment to Ginn. I think once he escapes Arizona where he has no chance of ever really producing as long as they have Fitz and Boldin, he'll prove himself to be a pretty good NFL WR. He runs good routes, has good hands and good size. He also should come at a moderately decent price tag, making him an equally appealing option. Good call. :thumbup:

I'm kinda split on this one. On one hand, Adams has a reputation that speaks for itself-- a 4 time Pro Bowler, one of the league's premier OT and the player I consider the anchor of Dallas' underrated OLine.

On the flipside, he is 32, has a fair bit of wear and tear on the proverbial tires and is going to command a pretty nice payday, being it's going to be his last.

I know beggars can't be choosers, however when it comes to the OLine, I'd rather see them go younger (i/e Stacy Andrews, Travelle Wharton, Jordan Gross, Max Starks, Ryan Lilja or Jake Scott are my choices).

I love this kid's motor, versitility and improving skills as a run stopper/pass rusher. Good call. :thumbup:

Definitely a solid playmaker, may fetch a pretty hefty price tag, but an option worth looking in to. He would definitely improve the secondary, however I'm looking economically at perhaps getting Drayton Florence and grabbing one of the CB in the draft.

Only thing you've said so far I'm vehinimately against. This defense is going for youth, they need all the "teachers" they can get. Taylor will be the bridge between the past and the future, and at a still productive rate, Miami won't trade him. Plus, Pittsburgh's not really hurting for a DE so I doubt they'd give up their first rounder for him.

I dunno man. When I look at the Raider needs, right now a DE and maybe a HB (although I've heard they are high on Fargas) are atop their list of players they could take #1 overall. I'm almost certain McFadden will be there when Oakland picks and I see the gap between Howie Jr. and Gholston being very slim. Therefore, I can't see the Raiders giving up a future first plus a high third to move up for that slim of a margin.

Now, Kansas City moving up to get Jake Long makes sense, considering the drop between he and the other OLinemen is pretty substantial. There, you have a viable deal.

Not a bad effort here. :)