1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is only the 3rd week of a rebuilding process!!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I posted this thread elsewhere but I thought it was relevant here, in that it can give us some solace during these difficult times as Dolphins fans:

I want to get everyone's take on this- Yes we have suffered a tremendous amount as Dolphin fans... But we have to put these few weeks in perspective

What we are seeing this year is a the start of A TRUE rebuilding effort.
    Rebuilding means getting rid of your most vocal veterans- We got rid of Zach and Taylor.

Rebuilding means turning over the roster- We have over half of our roster that has been turned over.

Rebuilding means focusing on young talent that fits a particular philosophy- We drafted OL and DL- We want to stop talking about being strong in the trenches and want to start living it.

Rebuilding means pain with purpose. And for the first time we have purpose during this awful stretch.

And to dull the pain, take note of this:
    Rebuilding does not involve drafting a speed punt returner that allows you to dream that you can return a few special teams td's and win games.

Rebuilding does not involve signing Joey Porter in the hopes that he can shore up a D that was ignored an entire offseason.

Rebuilding does not involve taking it easy in the preseason and not coaching the final game to observe.

Rebuilding is not trading Chris Chambers while you are in the midst of losing all your games.

Rebuilding is not trading away draft picks for 3rd and 4th string QB's.

Remember these things the next time you want to smash your TV.
    This is year one. A true new beginning. 1-15 was not the start of rebuilding it was the culmination of not rebuilding.

PMZQ, brandon27, Ludacris and 7 others like this.
  2. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Nice post, and welcome!:up: It is just hard for us fans to hear we are going to get better. We have gone through Jimmy, Dave, Nick, and Cam to this point. Don is probably going when are we going to get on the winning track again.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nice post, welcome to the boards. Wanted to add another one.

Rebuilding means having the right people direct the ship - Check.

4. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Thanks.. You know for so long we always wanted stop-gap solutions and were never WILLING to endure what a true rebuild meant. I can picture Cameron sitting with Wayne telling him how good our D was in 06" and to take note of what Devon Hester did in Chicago... The same mentality that Saban had when he opted to trade away picks for Dante... Well this time we have an organization that is not afraid to stockpile picks, cut inadequate players and groom a true QB of the future. We are starting on the inside, now we just need to pick up a few skill players on the outside and we should be well on our way.. It just takes time.. Treat every game like a preseason game and by the end of the year I'm pretty sure this team will be significantly better.

5. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Not to nitpick but we started rebuilding a loooong time ago. This is just the 3rd week of games ;)

6. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Very good write up.
    I like your use of the words shore-up because basically that is what we have been doing for both the offense and defense for the last few years. Previous coaches/general managers have been trying for what seems like forever to put bandaids on the problems to stop the bleeding and its only gotten worse. The drought in young players thru the draft have left the cupboards bare. This has compounded the problem because we basically didn't even have a foundation to build on, which left very little hope for the future. An overhaul was needed from top to bottom and now it has started.

7. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Depends on what you define rebuilding as? Before Parcells the word was retooling and the approach was still based on bringing in aged vets to fill positions and trying to make do with other teams leftovers. A true rebuild requires good young players to form a foundation to build on and prior to this year it just hasn't happened. Hopefully all of these young free agents and drafted players will stick around and form the foundation for the future.

8. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The day we cut Zach we were rebuilding!

PMZQ likes this.
  9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Great thread, we should put it up on a bulletin board off I 95 So some of the people who are freakin out can understand and look at this with football logic and common sense.

I believe its only a minority of people that dont get it.

10. first&goal

first&goal Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Nice post!

11. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Great point. Although this is a very nice write up, I had to admit I rolled my eyes when I read the thread title. On this board, most of us get the fact that this team is rebuilding and we should expect the team to struggle; however, it seems some need to remind us that we are rebuilding over and over and over again as if we don't already realize this.

Again, not trashing this thread as there is a lot of unique perspective. Just pointing out that most of the board members here get it that we're rebuilding.

12. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Your right. We are rebuilding. We aren't going anywhere anytime soon. But the one question I have will remain until someone gives me a satisfactory answer: Is it too much to expect improvement from week to week? IMO we looked significantly worse against Arizona then the Jets. If we were to continue to loose, but improve while loosing, I'd be okay with it. I just don't want regression over progression.

13. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I've got a question right back atcha 3-F.

Is it possible that the Cards are actually that much better than the Yets? I believe that could actually be true. Not to mention the first game was at home, and the second was on the road...not making excuses, just playing Devils Advocate.

14. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    I agree. I've actually picked the Cards to loose the Superbowl, so yes they are so much better then the Jets. But over all, in every aspect of last weeks game, I saw regression. There isn't one person in aqua and orange, coach and player alike who can't count to 12?!? The coaches decided to leave arguably the two best wide outs in the league basically uncovered? The RBs couldn't run the ball if their lives depended on it? Blame goes all around. From the players, to the coaches, to the fact that the Cards are a better team then the Jets. I just want to see improvement in one area, any area, from week to week. Is that too much to ask?

azfinfanmang likes this.
  15. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    The play of Jake Long looked improved. Henne looked like the real deal out there.
    Our DL was effective against the run. There were some positive things that occured, they just got blurred out by Boldin and Fitz as they sped by us.

16. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Yes, Long looked better, no stupid penalties, I'll give you that.

IMO the jury is still out on Henne. On the one hand, the Cards had like a thousand point lead so they may have been holding back. But on the other hand, who wants to be on the opposing side of a Rookie's first TD? I can't make a legitimate opinion on him either way at this point.

So I guess the improvement that I have been looking for is no stupid penalties by Jake Long. I guess I'll have to take it, for now...

17. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I did watch out our Defensive line look VERY solid againts the run. They didnt have any time to get to Warner as he was three steps and in the End-zone so freaking often.

Also, Matt Roth is going to end up being a shining star for this budding Defense I have a feeling. He was doing everything he could to try to keep us in the game..

Hey, I have an idea for a new thread.

Matt Roth is a Safety...........:shifty:

18. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Well, as you stated the Cardinals seem like a legit team this year. On top of that, we may have overrated the Jets. People forget that the Jets finished 4-12 last year and attempted a Shula-circa 1995 move by aquiring a bunch of old talent. As AZ stated, perhaps the Cardinals are a far superior team. On top of that we do not match up well against two very talented WR's that have the ability to dominate games physically.. The game was on the road in a hostile environment, played against a team with veteran leadership on offense, against a team comprised of discarded and rookie talent. To expect marked improvement given the mismatches we faced was unrealistic.. Lets see how we stack up this week against the Patsies, I'm willing to bet we do better than last week. :up:

19. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    I agree that we looked worse against Arizona, but it seems like every team has a down week in the season. Realistically nobody plays better every week for 16 weeks. If we aren't playing better by week 6 or 8 then I will start to panic. It's just to small a sample size to get a feel for this team and more importantly this coaching staff. But it was a kick in my gut to play pretty well against the Jets and then get demolished by the Cards. Not a good feeling.

But on the bright side though I think we have a good GM, and they seem to be hitting on the draft picks. Again it's really early and you can't judge a draft 2 weeks in, but it is showing more promise than any other draft class I can remember.

Oh and we have to look better this week than we did last week. I can't get any worse can it? :)

20. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Rebuilding is not trading Chris Chambers while you are in the midst of losing all your games

Actually that is rebuilding. we got Henne with that pick

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  21. TJamesW_Phinfan

TJamesW_Phinfan New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    The Phins are indeed rebuilding. A process that may take a couple more years to get back in the groove.

I am not in complete agreement with some of the moves made by the new staff and am perplexed by play calling and formations. However, I am sure the ones in power are much more knowledgeable on these matters than I am.

One issue is The Dolphins were a play off level team for decades so going through all these losses is difficult for the fans who have been spoiled by Shula, Marino, etc.

Fans are a bit silly too in that we get attached to individuals. My heart broke when Zach was let go. I have never liked Dallas yet find myself wishing they win the super bowl just so he gets a ring. Of course only if my Phins are not in it. :) I have rooted for Beck since day one. I like the kid and think he has talent yet Henne clearly out played him in pre season. There are variables that are not immediately evident that effected that but none the less it is what it is.

Which brings me to my next point. Henne played damned well in pre season such that I was somewhat reminded of Marino. Not a direct comparison as much as what I saw gave me hope for the Phins future. I know pre season is not a good sample of what a team is going to do but they look like two entirely different teams and these losses are disheartening at best.

I have faith my beloved Phins will get better in time. I am glad to see so many here feel the same.

As for Cards versus Jets. The cards receivers made some exceptional plays over and above the secondaries bad play. I would say the Cards are a great deal better than the jets at least at the receiver position and I would hazard to say at QB as well..

azfinfanmang likes this.
  22. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    I think a lot of folks got their hopes up watching the preseason. There's no way anyone could honestly think we'd be a .500 team after last year.

23. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    The whole Chad P pickup raised my expectations a little bit. Previous to that I considered this season one big preseason tryout..