1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This might be unpopular....But It has to be said.

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Section126, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Everybody knows I am a huge Basketball junkie. I just love it. I play it, watch it, think about it, bet on it.

But Geno Auriemma *****ing about how the media is not giving proper credit to the UCONN Women's basketball team for them tying UCLA's 88 game win streak...is just BS.

Women's basketball is crap. I can walk out my door and build a squad from play ground players that would smash that UCONN team.

Their streak is nowhere near as impressive as UCLA's was. In fact, their streak is built upon a terrible dilution of talent and a lopsided advantage in their favor in funding and facilities.

The WNBA? LOL!

Nappy Roots, finyank13 and Mainge like this.
  2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    fify

3. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    The state of this thread makes the point.
    Nobody cares.

Which was the very point of the thread.

4. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    ^ What he said.........

5. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

89 of anything in a row is impressive in my opinion. Winning 89 games of Tetris on Playstation is impressive.

Obviously the girls get crushed if they were to go up against men, but playing against equal "talent," is all they can do. And they have done that. They can only beat who is in front of them.

I question the timing of it considering all he did was turn the spotlight on himself as opposed to the team. But then again, I wasn't even aware of their streak before he said anything as I don't watch women's basketball at all. So if his plan was to help shine a brighter light on him, his girls and their accomplishments, then he succeeded.

And the streak is going to continue for awhile. At some point, even you Section, would have to tip your Britto cap to a team staying focused long enough to ride this long wave of winning, no?

6. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    ...its womens basketball....

Section126 and padre31 like this.
  7. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Agreed Nappy. As I said before, I don't follow it myself either and the only way I knew about this streak was Geno's bellyaching, which is my point. I think, by *****ing about the press, he was able to have people shine a brighter light on their accomplishment and get them their proper accolades in the national media. At least proper accolades according to him.

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    So was UCLA's streak. They crushed crappy PAC 10 teams for like 50 wins. UCONN has at least gone out and played the best teams when they have the chance.

I do agree that women's basketball is crap but this is impressive non the less.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Is it?

I used to watch women's college basketball live and thought the action was okay for what it was, however unlike UCLA's streak, with the UConn team there is some context to be had, sort of like the difference between winning a world cup and winning the MLS title, somethings just matter more to me.

When the Head Coach has to stand up and scream "respect our accomplishment!" chances are good..sort of like the USA Men's Olympic Team winning streak, until it is broken it is just assumed that a team should be blowing out teams with far less talent..:yawn:

10. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    lesbians need their sports heroes too section