1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This never gets old...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I didn't get to watch that game, sadly. Wasn't on for me locally, and I was too young to go to the sports bar. But it was one of the best games for the team as a whole that year, as they were up 37-6 at the start of the 4th quarter and completely dominated Jim Harbaugh, who had torn them up the previous year.

2. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    Imagine him playing today, still unbelievable we didn’t get him a ring…

mlb1399 likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Looking bad, its sadly clear that some of those year's in the heart of Marino's prime were spent with teams that were just really bad around him. The 1986-89 teams that hovered around .500 might have been two or three win teams with an average QB.

And then immediately following that, the Fins and Marino had the absolute terrible luck of being in the same division as the AFC's powerhouse, the Buffalo Bills. Miami was annually one of the better teams in the AFC, but the Bills were always a little bit better. And when Shula put together a really great team in 93, Marino himself (along with numerous other players) was injured and lost for the year.

4. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    I remember, didn’t have the luxury of watching the games but grasped everything I could back in the days, where there was no internet. Still somehow a shame, when you look how many Brady got in Boston…

5. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The Patriots are cheaters. Nothing that's happened there the past twenty years has any relevance on reality or what goes on with the other 31 teams. To me, it cannot ever be used as a benchmark.

6. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    It’s a shame Miami didn’t draft Terrell Davis instead of Denver. Then Dan would be in every GOAT conversation with his two (at least) rings and the highly overrated Elway most certainly would not.

7. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Davis likely wouldn't have amounted to much in Miami. He was a product of Denver's offensive scheme, OL, and their dirty cut blocking technique. After Davis was hurt, Olandis Gary stepped in and ran for 1150 yards for them that year in only 12 games played. And then Mike Anderson came out of nowhere and ran for almost 1500 yards and 15 TDs the next year.

Davis is one of the most overrated players in my lifetime.

Now what I would say is that had the Fins somehow hired Mike Shanahan to replace Shula instead of Jimmy, then maybe things would have been vastly different. But he was hired in Denver during Don's final season.

Ophinerated and Puka-head like this.
  8. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Dan is in every GOAT conversation and in my opinion IS the greatest quarterback to ever play the game. Quarterbacks today who put up these astronomical numbers are the beneficiary of the NFL changing so many rules to make the game more quarterback…more offensive friendly.

Look at a quarterback the wrong way today…roughing the passer…

Look at a receiver the wrong way today…pass interference.

Quarterbacks today are untouchable. Receivers must be allowed to run their routes unfettered.

Back in Marino’s day, quarterbacks were fair game. Seen Marino hit so many times that would be flagged today…and he STILL completed some of the most impossible throws.

Back in Marino’s day, receivers had to fight to get passed the LOS and get open.

Because of that, that it what makes Marino the GOAT

KeyFin likes this.
  9. Phin McCool

Phin McCool Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I didn't watch this particular game live but I did the year before, when Marino beat Fran Tarkenton's completions record. The Colts were losing heavily but came back to win and spoil the day. It was the first year that Sky Sports started showing live NFL games over here, so I drove to a local(ish) pub (bar) to watch. Normally it was AFRTS radio commentary or updates. It was a Sunday night and there were no punters in, just me and the bar staff. I think they appreciated my tiny bit of custom. One pint made to last 2 hours LOL. Pubs shut at 10.30 on a Sunday in those days so at least I missed out on the humiliation of seeing them throw the lead away.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  10. Fishhead

Sep 29, 2016
    Ok, substitute any above average RB for Terrel Davis and the point is the same. When they needed to burn clock to run out a game, they couldn’t and had to throw. If they needed a tough yard or two, they usually had to throw. A running game gets them further than they got.

11. Fishhead

Sep 29, 2016
    Oh, don’t misunderstand me - I think Marino is the GOAT based on his skills, without question. The rest of the sports world looks at Brady because of the rings. My point was that, with a couple of rings, Marino leapfrogs all but Brady in that discussion for the rest of the world. When it comes to talent, though, Dan is the greatest, IMO.

12. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Absolutely agree. 100%. Just not Davis, lol. :up:

My personal dream in that era was Eddie George. In Jimmy's first year with the Fins, George was taken 14th while Miami drafted 20th. I desperately wanted to trade up and take him. Would have possibly changed a lot of things for those years. Eddie was an absolute beast for the first five years of his career, and then still solid for three more after that. He'd have provided Marino with a huge help and boosted the entire offense up.