1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This Year's Third QB?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MaddMatt, Jan 1, 2010.

1. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Henne is our present, and our future. White is going to be here, regardless of what anyone thinks. Then it gets interesting.

Available FA's are below the bottom of the barrel. Thigpen is a big question mark, and Penny may be an option if healthy.

My thoughts are hoping for a Penny. Your thoughts?

dolfan7171 likes this.
  2. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    If Penny wants to come back as mentor (and agrees to 1 year contract only), I could see the FO dangling Thigpen for a draft day trade to move up in a given round, or garner an extra NEXT YEAR DRAFT pick from someone.

I always go by the theory of your 2nd or 3rd QB being trade bait for future picks....and Penny coming back may afford us the luxury of shipping off Thigpen.

If no Penny, I think Thigpen stays....for 1 more season...but then the same situation arises as White matures.....2nd or 3rd will be used as DRAFT PICK trade options.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. EdSta74

EdSta74 I

Mar 22, 2008
    Long Island City, NY
    I may be in the minority, buy I actually like thigpen.... I would want him over Pat White any day..

4. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I dont think this FO dislikes either.....but Penny, if he comes back, makes us have 4 on roster.....something would have to give I would think just based on VALUE of the roster spot (and since White was selected in draft last year, not sure if they would flip him that quick, vs. Thigpen "who may hold more trade value".)

5. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    This would be something that the FO need to carefully make a decision on. That's my opinion.

dolphindebby likes this.
  6. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    I think Chad Pennington has a better chance to make for himself a far more enduring legacy by becoming a coach. His knowledge of the game, his ability to make decisions on the field translate very well to the mental chess game that goes on behind the execution of the plays. From what we have heard, he is an excellent student of the game and mentor as well. I would love to see him become QB coach, and possibly the offensive coordinator as times goes on. He has already proven that despite injuries, and some physical hindrances, he can be an excellent quarterback, and will have a very long, uphill struggle to make it back to that level recovering from a third shoulder injury. Become a coach, Chad, teach others how to think as well as sling it. That way you become a truly dangerous man in the NFL to opposing teams.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  7. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    As opposed to not making a careful decision? :)

8. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    I agree but, that does not help resolve our 3rd QB.

9. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Yeah that is exactly what I am thinking. I am sure I wasn't saying it right. You nailed it!!

10. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    :) It is a tuff choice. Penny brings the most to the team, and will help White as well as Henne. However, if Henne gets hurt, will he be healthy enough to fill in, or could White surprise?

On the other hand, Thigpen now knows the O, and the team. He could also be a Henne/White combo. NOT an easy decision.

11. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    penningtons contract ends this season.........why is he in the discussion? if hes healthy to play.....he will want to sign somewhere to play. its all kinds of bad news....say pennington is our #2.......henne hurts his wrist and hes out 3 weeks. pennington plays lights out. then what? the players start thinking....start talking....fans start rumbling.....media starts writing.....and what happens?

also.....pennington is a year removed from a runner up to the mvp award....if hes healthy....he can start somewhere and will want to do that. i doubt he signs here to back up his former backup (make sense?) he will go to SF or minny or cleveland or carolina where he has a chance to start and play often :up:

just my opinion

12. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Seems logical......I also dont think this FO wants to sign Chad P. for anything other than a 1 year contract to fill backup/mentor role. Dont think Chad P. would agree to 1 year contract & backup role.

dolfan7171 and SICK like this.
  13. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    agreed

14. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I agree, although I would like to see him come back as a coach or something.

15. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Penny is in the discussion because he is the best option for a legit backup for our team. I do not know what he wants, or where he wants to finish his career.

We could make him an offer to be a backup, with a coaching deal. It may be enough, don't know. JMO

16. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yo, Sherlock, chill.

You speculate that Chad P. is what you hope for, thus hope he signs.

Sick, speculates that AS a STARTER the mindset he has may be to find a team he can START for over Miami who would seem to seek him to be a 2nd or 3rd QB option. Yet, this dual speculation you choose to attack as if oneside KNOWS.

No one posted THEY KNOW...they post on their personal deductive reasoning as to why they think what they are thinking....NONE OF US KNOW! Can we put that argument to rest?

Chad P. is a STARTER in his mind. And unless he comes to the mindset that he is a backup....Earl Morrall, Don Strock, Steve DeBerg, Ron Jaworski, Bernie Kosar at this stage of his career, etc....and is willing to accept the flexibility a 1 year contract affords this organization, its pretty easy to DEDUCE that he would look elsewhere.

Its 2010, lets make this site the best it can be by understanding the deeper the explanation of ones thoughts and reasoning, the easier it is to debate and discuss POINTS OF VIEW!

Thats all they are...POINTS OF VIEW!:hi5:

Colorado Dolfan and SICK like this.
  17. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I STRONGLY agree with this.
    Thigpen >>>>>White :yes:

18. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Yup! Me too...

azfinfanmang likes this.
  19. NoCalFinFan

NoCalFinFan ALLLLRIGHT MIAMI!!!

Dec 27, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    As much as I hate to think about, you are probably correct. The only thing I could see changing that is IF he isn't fully healed and IF our FO is willing to take a big risk on an injured QB. Lotta IFs there.

My money is on Carolina.

20. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I agree 100% undoubtedly with this statement, he's obsessed with watching film, he's a great mentor, and the team already respects him tremendously. Since he's only looking at playing another year anyways (and possibly not even that with the injury) it would be a great move to sign him on as an assistant QB coach and let him focus on all 3 young quarterbacks during the offseason and in training camp next year.

I could not think of a better move Miami could make with Pennington, and I would absolutely love to see this happen.

21. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I am ready to move on without Penny. I loved the signing, but his place here has been taken by a younger QB. White isnt going anywhere, yet. Henne is the starter, its in stone. And I would rather have a young, healthy Thigpen over an old, often injured Penny. He has been a credit to the NFL, but I am thinking its time to move on, at least out of Miami.
    Thanks for your time here C.P.

azfinfanmang and SICK like this.
  22. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

I agree with you.

Thigpen can run a Wildcat-style formation... He's also got an inch and almost 40 pounds on White.

The biggest problem is we don't actually know what we have in White since he has never really done anything besides the Pistol package thus far.

But from my personal knowledge, Thigpen>White. It would be nice if both of them worked out and we had an absolutely loaded QB corps. :up:

23. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Chad Pennington is a NFL starter. If he can play this year he is leaving and I wish him all the best. Comeback player of the year twice and 2nd in MVP voting last year, the guy is a stud. If he can’t go I’m hoping he’s the new QB coach. That makes David “Wildcat” Lee the OC.

Henne, White and Thigpen will be competing at a very high level for the starting QB job next season.

24. Thunderbolt89

Thunderbolt89 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Thinking about it I would be happy either way. I would like to keep Pennington around as a backup but that is all up to him if he wants to start or not. If he wants to start and they let him walk then I would be happy with Thigpen also. Thigpen showed me a lot in Kansas City,I would even like to see him run a few Wildcat plays next year. Thigpen has a lot of potential and I would feel comfortable with him starting a game or two if Henne got injured.

25. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    The highlighted section made me do some what of a double take. A question was asked and then one of the options was removed and or completely discounted.

I wouldn't be so sure they will keep White. He has yet to do anything special during a game that would make you think he’s going to be a good NFL quarterback much less a can’t trade/must have sort of player. He plays in almost every game we played this year and still the coaches have only allowed him to attempt a total of three passes. This tells me he’s still struggling in practice.

Some team may very well be interested in taking a shot on him. It was reported that several other teams were interested in his talents. It may very well be that his value for a trade will never be higher than it is right now.

Thigpen can do just about anything that you would want white to do, including catch passes as a receiver. He’s got a good arm and great athletic ability. His trade value at this time may or may not be lower than white’s at the moment who knows.

This front office is known for getting rid of mistakes whether they are draft choices or FA pickups. So unless White has shown solid signs during practice what would make him in expendable? I wouldn’t be so quick to discount the idea of him being traded.

JimToss likes this.
  26. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I think the FO is pretty comfortable with Pat White and Thigpen (moreso than me at this moment) so I dont think they're going to bring Pennington back. Still I wouldnt be surprised if we draft a QB in the 7th round or bring in a UDFA. Drafting a Jon Crompton in the 7th would be a good way of providing competition for the QBs and might even result in an upgrade

27. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Initial observation
    I thought the acquisition of Thigpen pretty much signaled the end of Penny's career in Miami. At least as far as a QB goes. Coach? Well, that remains to be seen. But, I truly believe if Penny can play, he will want to. And, if he can play, he will want to start...somewhere. So, IMO either way he's probably played his last game in aqua and orange.

Breakdown of QB's currently rostered
    1) Henne: 2nd year QB, first year as a starter. He's flashed real potential as a franchise QB, but obviously has a ways to go. Is he headed in the right direction? Yeah, I think so. He's already shown improvement, has a big arm, and he just seems to be a natural leader on the filed. Give him a full off-season to prepare and see what he does next season. Hopefully, he continues to improve, and by this time next season (if not sooner) we'll all be real excited about our starting QB again.

2) Thigpen: Acquired after Pennington goes on the IR, he is our real back up (#2 QB) IMO. I say that because I seriously doubt White is ready to take the helm if anything were to happen to Henne long term. Besides, Thigpen has experience as a starter under his belt (as opposed to White). Thigpen can also run the Wildcat, or option, or whatever you wanna call it. So, he's a good fit and a great insurance policy.

3) White: Young. Raw. Playmaker at the college level. And, this FO has a 2nd round pick invested in him. Honestly, I was not a fan of the PW pick last April. And, I'm probably even less happy with it now. But, it is what it is, and he's here to stay. At least until/unless he proves to be another great collegiate QB that can't make the transition to the NFL. Until then, I think he continues to come in as some sort of a change of pace, or wrinkle, to run the Wildpat or Pistol, or whatever. And, IMO he is the Dolphins third string QB.

Summary
    Having invested two second round picks in the last two years, and then making a trade for a third QB, I just don't see Pennington in the plans for this team moving forward.

28. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    After a few games with Henne as starter I realized Pennington wouldn't be starting in Miami again and like others on this forum, I assume if he comes back to play he'll take a starting job somewhere when offered. Since then I've been hoping he does go to Carolina and has a lot of success there (enough to go to the Super Bowl, but not win it lol), I think it'd be a good fit. Not sure it'll happen but I'd love to see him do well in a Panthers jersey.

29. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Pat White needs a role. I don't see him beating out Henne or Thigpen for the starting QB job but he is the best athlete of the group. He dominated in college and I find it impossible to believe these guys can’t find a way to get him in space

30. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Agreed, and edited. I gotta stop this Cuban coffee. LOL

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  31. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    I did that because I do not any way Pat White will not be a Phin next season. I believe that Penny's injury derailed any plans we had for White this past year.

He was forced into getting ready to take Henne's place, as opposed to working on some "specialty" plays which I think Henning envisioned for him this season. Ronnie going down did not help either.

32. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Pennington

33. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Good post, and nice run down. I would ask why Thigpen has not seen the field as a "wild" option in place of White?

As to Penny, I think he "may" be at the point in his career when a backup is not a bad thing. All the injuries have to take their toll on any player, and I have my doubts he would want to have to learn a new O with a new team.

I believe that if he were offered a backup role on a two year deal, with a coaching job in the mix, he would take it.

Henning is not getting any younger, and Penny has said how much he learned from him with his 200 years worth of experience. LOL He also gets along extremely well with Sparano and Tuna.

I would not discount Penny wanting a "comfort level" at this point in time.

The G Man likes this.
  34. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009

Keep in mind...nothing says Penny can't go play elsewhere next season, and come back in some capacity after his playing days are over.

35. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    IF I am Penny, I see an opportunity for me, and my family, to be a part of a team I know and respect. I have been well respected, and have a great relationship with everyone involved. I can build on that for my future.

OR, I can go to a different team, start, and chances are go no where, while someone else is taking my place in Miami.

Penny is not a Farve, or even close. I can see him coming back to our Phins, and it would be a good thing.

36. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    IMO that's just the thing. He got extra work as a quarterback and yet the coaches still only had enough faith in him to allow him to attempt a total of 3 passes. I just dont think that bodes real well for him.

37. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    My take on this is simple, Because Thigpen was the real Number two QB. Just like they kept Henne as the inactive third string before Penny was hurt.

38. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Yeah, but the extra work was as a QB in a standard O. You may be right. I just do not know, and am hoping for another playmaker.

39. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Sparano had said that White was in if Henne was out. For whatever it's worth.

40. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    That's just it. He's in a Quarterback. it really doesn't matter what formation he's in he's still a QB and yet was only allowed 3 attempts and I hate to point out couldn't complete one of them.

I don't know man the press conferences I saw Sparano clearly ducked the question's. Quite frankly I don't know why he would even announce it to the media. It would only help the other teams preparation. Think about it even before Henne went down he never made it clear to the Media who the real Number two QB would be. Why would he do it after Penny got hurt?