1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Dolphins/Falcons

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KeyFin, Oct 24, 2021.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Not much to say this week since it's another "L", but I did see a Dolphins team that came out and fought to be competitive. Tua had a decent day. On one hand, the 4TD's and several long drives was encouraging, while the pick in the end zone and one other pick simply have to be cleaned up. He fought back though and knocked a linebacker out of the game on a run play, so hopefully some people are starting to see that he's not made of glass after all.

Why'd we lose today? You could either blame Matt Ryan, Tua or the Miami defense. We did force several turnovers but we also failed to take advantage of them. Again, Tua threw two picks when all the momentum was on our side. Some INT's aren't a big deal but both of these clearly were back-breakers. It's good to see Howard gaining some confidence though and he may have played well enough today to get traded next week.

Why were we competitive? Tua, the run game (big plus on the day) and the Miami defense creating turnovers.

Side note- for those who wondered why some of us wanted Kyle Pitts over Chase, Smith, or Waddle...you probably have your answer. The kid is an absolute beast with that wingspan and will likely be a premiere target in this league for the next decade. We wouldn't have been able to draft him regardless but man, what a difference maker. I guess I should also mention here that Gisecki had a great day as well and continues to show why we needed to extend him months ago.

Another loss in what's been a very long season so far. I don't think today was bad enough for anyone to be fired, but man...we just don't know how to close out games. This was the 4th contest this year we should have, could have, would have won if the team tightened down a little sooner.

If the Watson rumors have any truth to them, did Tua do enough today to silence that conversation? In my opinion he did, but I know a lot of you would disagree. Those two key picks at the worst possible times...it's really hard to overlook. But he did have a very solid day outside those two throws.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    mlb1399 likes this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    If Watson can play left guard then I say pull the trigger.

OwesOwn614 and KeyFin like this.
  3. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Pitts looks good but I wanted Chase and hes the best WR in the NFL right now.

Grier traded a #5 and a 12 for a guy averaging 8.5 YPC. Just let that sink in. If drafting Tua over Herbert doesn’t get you, he gave up basically 2 top 10 picks for maybe the 40th best WR in the NFL. There are a lot of reasons why we’re so bad but these are a couple of the top ones.

4. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Tua definitely didn't do enough to silence the conversation because they lost. Trading for Watson is about saving jobs not doing what is best for the team.

OwesOwn614 and KeyFin like this.
  5. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    On this team - I have plenty of grace for Tua. Who knows what he's being told. You can't count on this leadership helping him develop.
    Fire Grier now. Bring in a GM and give that GM the power to evaluate the team and do whatever he likes going forward.

JJ_79 and KeyFin like this.
  6. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Personally I'd be fine with Watson if we had clarity on his legal issues so that we knew he could start in 2022 at latest. I'm still optimistic with Tua, but Watson is proven elite so there's no comparison there. But what about his legal issues! I don't make that trade unless there's a high probability he's in the clear so that he can play.

Anyway, this team is doing a good job of uniting the fan base. Fewer and fewer debates about whether X or Y is better. Clean house!

KeyFin likes this.
  7. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    What have you seen in this offense to think that Chase would be doing any better than Waddle?

KeyFin likes this.
  8. mlb1399

Mar 6, 2010
    I see TE’s getting open and making plays down the field. I see Waddle catching passes for 5-10 yards. Maybe that’s our idiot coaches but I also don’t see him taking plays to the house like Hill.

I also see that you don’t pay 2 top 10 picks for a WR and have a successful franchise.

hitman8, JJ_79 and KeyFin like this.
  9. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    By the way, Waddle leads the league in catches, Chase leads the league in yards for a rookie. So there's conversations to be made for both of them being quality picks.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Waddle has been great. He has been making big catches for Miami.

Chase would be used like Preston Williams was today if he was a Dolphin. So he might have caught that touchdown in the endzone. Chase would not be leading the league in yards for Miami.

KeyFin likes this.
  11. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Chase was my choice too. I think he's the more dangerous deep ball receiver. Waddle is a fantastic slot receiver though. I would still prefer Chase over Waddle but Waddle is good. I'm not unhappy with the pick because the most important thing is not picking a dud.

12. mlb1399

Mar 6, 2010
    I would have had no problem with Waddle if we stayed at 12. I just don’t see a big enough difference between him and Smith to justify another 1st round pick. In hindsight with how bad we are, it gets even worse.

JJ_79 likes this.
  13. Fireland

Dec 29, 2013
    The problem with taking Waddle is the trade up. Not sure why they didn't wait until draft day to make a move. The only way it makes sense is if Waddle is so much better than the rest and you can't risk it.

But at least Waddle looks good. That is more than you can say about most of the team.

mlb1399 and KeyFin like this.
  14. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    To be fair, Tua drove 90 yards and took the lead with just over two minutes to go- so he personally did enough to win. But the defense couldn't hold and that's why I said today's "L" was on them. Besides Preston Williams, nobody really played particularly bad today.

Big Phin likes this.
  15. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Drew Rosenhaus says Grier and Flores are in no danger of being fired and will return for one more critical year.

KeyFin likes this.
  16. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    I find it great when we were winning games last year and tua’s stats sucked everyone was mad. Saying hes trash he cant put up numbers. Now he’s putting up numbers and everyone is mad because we cant win games. Almost like the nfl is a team sport. He’s playing exactly how you would expect a rookie to play.

Phin McCool and KeyFin like this.
  17. Fireland

Dec 29, 2013
    I think Tua is improving but I don't think its relevant in terms of whether they are going to get Watson

KeyFin likes this.
  18. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    It honestly might not be. As cBrad said, Watson is clearly better than Tua by a wide margin. And I really can't find a way to argue with that.

My only worry is that Tua develops in another system and turns into a solid 10+ year starter. Maybe he's never elite, but the QB who beat us today isn't elite either. Matt Ryan is very dependable though and definitely shines at times. I feel pretty confident that Tua could be that type of career QB as well...as long as he doesn't get injured.

Then again, Watson could have his career cut short as well through the legal system. It's so impossible to weigh risk when you're not talking about a QB's core skills.

19. mlb1399

Mar 6, 2010
    If Ross is too stupid to not see Grier pissing talent and draft picks down the franchise proverbial leg, then we’re f****d beyond belief.

20. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Waddle leads the league in dinks and dunks for short gain. Waddle and Chase don't even belong in the same conversation right now. Chase is truly tearing it up, waddle is just serviceable at this point.

21. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    I'm thinking Fitz was a bad role model/influence on Tua, ever since he hung around with that old fart he's been throwing interceptions like the old bum

22. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    It's two completely different offenses.

23. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    If the Watson rumors are true, then Tua wasn't doing anything today to change the picture. Either we are interested and working on a deal, or we aren't. If a single performance is enough to convince us one way or the other we just have bad management.

Then again, we know we do, so ....

He's a young QB, he battled. The INTs were bad, but that's what young QBs do - he still has less than a full season being a starter.

KeyFin likes this.
  24. Hooligan

Hooligan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Costa Rica
    The next game is against Buffalo, we'll see exactly how much Tua has developed towards being an NFL caliber QB.

25. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    It will be interesting to see how much they got our number the Bills have a great coaching staff and they turned the corner big time.

26. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    The Bills should absolutely blow us out. So if that's a competitive game and we hang with them until the end, it's a good sign that we're close to turning this thing around.

27. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Or that they are taking their foot off the pedal and keeping things vanilla because they don't need to waste effort on us.

KeyFin likes this.
  28. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Waddle isn’t the issue and we better keep him! Parker Wilson and the others should be traded today!

29. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    My thoughts are i rather have pitts than waddle

30. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    That's not going to happen. There's too much value to being the #1 seed and the Bills are in that race.

Bills currently have the #1 pass defense by FAR in the NFL with a whopping 62.1 passer rating allowed when the league average is 95.1. So yes it will be great test to see if Tua can do halfway decently against that defense. The highest rating that defense has allowed so far was to Pittsburgh with an 83.9 given up. Even Mahomes went out with a 70.9 against them. It's a great test.

KeyFin likes this.
  31. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    For me, the rest of this year is all about Tua and his development. What I see is an extremely young quarterback that is just going through the motions of becoming a better one in the league. I feel like this is pretty much his rookie season and he's doing typical rookie things. He's making some wow plays and he's making some "Woah wtf" plays as well, but in my opinion he's getting better each and every week. I think we just keep rolling with him. Let it be what it's gonna be at this point. The defense is absolutely terrible this year so there's that, but Tua really hasn't been bad when he's played. This is his third game this season and he's light years better than Biscuit. I don't know, depsite the loss, I like what I saw from him. Like I said, he's going to be my main focus from here on out. On to Buffalo.

Phin McCool, Dorfdad and KeyFin like this.
  32. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Buffalo is going to put TUA into IR our line is horrible and they going to blitz him all day. 35-3 kinda game

33. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I just don't get this stuff about Tua. He cost us the game with those ints and in the red zone no less. You often don't recover from those types of mistakes and they didn't. I'm sorry. It sucks, but he is just not the guy. We need better. This is really a new low. Grier should be fired tonight. He should have been fired some time ago.

hitman8 likes this.
  34. Fireland

Dec 29, 2013
    They stink. All you can ask at this point is for young players to improve. Tua is improving and has taken a leap from last year but anyone saying that isn't saying he is THE guy.

And like it or not people are going to have to accept that most likeky Tua is going to be this teams QB next year.

35. ExplosionsInDaSky

Sep 13, 2011
    That's pretty much all I'm saying. He's going to be the starter this season and next season. If it angers people that much and they dislike him that much then the solution is really super easy in my opinion. They can root for Herbert and the Chargers or they can just choose not to watch the team. I don't see how anyone can just call it quits on him three games into his second season as a pro.

36. ExplosionsInDaSky

Sep 13, 2011
    You can't just put this all on the quarterback. It doesn't work that way. Does Tua play defense?

37. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

38. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I certainly can out those picks on the QB. It does work that way. How did the D make him throw those picks? The D actually did make some good stops, but I am not defending the D. They always break at the worst time. They have sucked this season. .However, I am not looking for lame excuses anymore. Tua is not the guy.

39. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    He left the field with the lead after being down by two touchdowns with 10 minutes left in the game. I think a young quarterback who overcame those two bad passes and gave his team a chance to win says alot about him.

He definitely has the ability to be a franchise quarterback and will only get better.

Big Phin, Phin McCool and KeyFin like this.
  40. Phin McCool

Phin McCool Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2017
    United Kingdom
    So nothing to do with the blocked field goal then?