1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Mayan Calender

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by alen1, Jul 2, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    What are your guys thoughts on the Mayan calender? I've been into this but never did too much research on it for some reason. I think its incredible that they assembled it but the whole 2012 thing is interesting. I know they say its the last day of the era in the Mayan calender. Your thoughts on the calender as a whole?

I found this information on it. http://www.disastercountdown.com/event/mayan/2/

Here is a graph that compares Dec 2007 and a possible look at Dec 2012. There are a few comments that state about it being true and whatnot.

December 21, 2007: Focused power and energy
    [​IMG]

December 21, 2012: The energies are scattered and dispersed.
    [​IMG]

http://www.greatdreams.com/2007_is_2012.htm

Miamian, cnc66 and azfinfanmang like this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It is a very interesting calander. Too bad the SPanish destroyed most of their descriptions of it.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  3. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I do believe it is very astrologically accurate at least for that time period. Do I think the world will end in 2012.......... no. How do they know they just never got around to finishing it?

Frumundah Finnatic and alen1 like this.
  4. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Way smarter than they get credit for. I was able to go and visit Chichen Itza and it was amazing how precise and accurate they were for their day and time. It just boggles the mind to see this huge city appear out of the jungle and think that they built it all by hand with no mechanical assistance. As far as their calendar, it is still more accurate than any of ours presently, but I don't buy into the doomsday it predicts. Once again it is too Nostrodamus for me as far as being open to interpretations.

Here's more on Chichen Itza:

http://www.mysteriousplaces.com/mayan/TourEntrance.html

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
    gafinfan, finswin56 and alen1 like this.
  5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Or they thought they can add onto it when it got close to 2012.

The amazing part is that the earth finishes its wobble on that date and the sun is in aligned with the center of the galaxy.

SO it isn't just a day.

gafinfan likes this.
  6. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    yup. I believe the theory is that there will be a huge pull of gravity. Not sure how true it is though....

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Man that was interesting. I read the descriptions on each one and they are scary lol. This one looks awesome though.

[​IMG]

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    yea, that is the thing. We don't know what will happen. No one was alive 20,000 years ago or even 50,000 years ago.

This could be a whole lot of nothing, something kind of something, something pretty cool, something kind of crappy, something horrible or the end of everything.

9. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    the Mayans used to celebrate calendarical events quite a bit. There's a number of descriptions of kings, queens and others elites celebrating various katun cycles and anniversaries. Both the Maya and Aztec observed a 52 year cycle where all the fires were put out and then rekindled for example.

By every indication of their's, the end of this cycle would roll over into a new one (like an odometer) and be the cause for tremendous celebration. Time was conceived in a much more cyclical way by them, so whereas we might see it as an end of something, they would see it as a rebirth of something else. The bigger Long Count cycles seem to have been closely guarded by royalty.

Nearly every singe professional archaeologists or ethnohistorian who studies the Maya would argue that the doomsday stuff is made up by New Agers or people with books to sell.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
    jetssuck, 2k5, Vengeful Odin and 9 others like this.
  10. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Ive always thought that and wondered why no one brings that up. They all just assume that the Mayans thought the world would end there. Well, their civilization was wiped out by the Spanish conquistadors, and if you look at alot of Mayan infrastructure, alot of it seems to be unfinished. I dont think the Mayans had enough time to finish what their projects, and I think the Mayan caldendar is an example of a civilization that went about unfinished.

gafinfan likes this.
  11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007

As a person someone would consider a New Ager, most stuff that I have read have said that there will be a shift in conciousness that day. Not exactly a doomsday we are all going to die.

12. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    right I believe the next cycle is supposed to be prosperous one of peace, so if the world doesn't end it will just be a prosperous cycle.

13. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Or just Friday.

305 and Cuban Dave 9 like this.
  14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm curious. What are you referring to wrt to the wobble and the alignment with the center of the galaxy?

15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    The earth wobbles from side to side. Like a top that is spinning. In 2012 it completes its wobble and starts wobbling to the other side. It takes around 20,000 years from the earth to wobble from one side to the other.

The center of the galaxy I did not really understand as much. A little more research shows that this happens every 26,000 years. There is a good chance that some of my numbers are off. Due to the fact that I only saw it one show and haven't exactly researched much of it.

I saw this on the discovery channel on the show called The Universe.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  16. TokyoFishFan

TokyoFishFan New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Tokyo!
    Wait...doesn't that explain global warming? LOL

17. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    The Mayans believe in 10,000 year cycles.

2012 is the end of the cycle.

I also read that our Milkyway galaxy will shift, causing the North and South Pole to change.

18. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Sometimes I think Nostradamus and the Mayans were sending mash notes to each other. Not sure how anyone can believe the end of a calendar can mark the end of the world. If that were all it took, my trusty Dolphins calendar says the world is ending on December 31, 2008.

That said, my biggest complaint with the Mayan calendar is the lack of bikini models.

Fin D likes this.
  19. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

Maybe there was gonna be an upgrade coming like Y2K

20. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    The Y2K virus is coming back that day WITH A VENGENCE!
    If you dont get that here's a little hint: It involves the Dolphins.

21. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Nah thats not it, my calender ended Dec. 31 2006 so were good for a little while :up:

22. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    I see that a lot of you guys are dismissing this 'end of world' theory outright and I find that a little disturbing...

I am not saying I buy into it that Dec. 20, 2012 is the end but all I am saying is that not everything can be explained by science...we are always learning and even science changes from time to time based on the new things we learn...

I guess what I am trying to say is just that you never know when the 'end' is. For the world or maybe just you. Just because the world doesn't end doesn't mean it can't (or won't eventually) end for you personally.

Whether you believe in god or go by evolution...its always best to just be the best son, brother, father, friend etc. you can be, while we are in the here and now, everyday we are alive.

So that, just in case, when that day comes...we can at least go out knowing we were cool people and not jerks while we were around...:hi5:

23. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    What is disturbing is that you believe the Mayans had a heretofore unknown and exclusive method for predicting the exact end of the world, and furthermore that their calendar cuts off specifically and exclusively because they predicted the end of the world on that date.

24. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Hey, show me where the hell I said that in my post please?

I've got a lot of respect for you bro but you don't know me personally so don't be going around spewing crap when you don't have the slightest clue about what my beliefs are.

Seems like the whole point of my post went over your head.

To reiterate (if you even get this far again): its always best to just be the best son, brother, father, friend etc. you can be, while we are in the here and now, everyday we are alive.

Doesn't matter what you believe in. Point is, don't be an *** while your in the here and now, act like you know it all, and that crap can't happen to you as if we are indestructible.

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    From what I understand, astronomers are saying that this all pends on the movement of the planets. If one planet (don't know exactly which one; earth?) tilts in a certain direction, it could very well be the end but if it stays, everything will continue as is.

26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I just learned from the Mayan Calander expert Carl Johan Calleman, that the Mayan Calander ends on October 28th, 2011, not December 21st, 2012. Has anyone else heard about this?

27. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

My thoughts are some person in the ancient civilization mapped it out to the 2000's got about 10 years into it and said "**** this what do I need to go further for". And they stopped.

Not much to do back in those days.

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It is not 2000's, that is our calander.

29. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Repeat after me: Nothing.Will.Happen.

30. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    nothing never happens.

31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The biggest curiosity for me is how many other races and cultures had the same date as a time of change. My understanding is that at least 8 or 9 other cultures that we know of were all pointing to the same date as extremely significant. That makes me more reticent to just dismiss it off hand. I'm not arrogant enough to just assume we know better. I remember watching a show where they were trying to repair some ancient roman buildings however they couldn't get the tolerances as close as the original architects. They brought in all kinds of experts and employed all the best technology available. (This was within the last 10 years BTW). In the end they brought in experts on ancient cultures who were able to decipher some ancient texts that explained their building methods. After considerable effort they were able to recreate their techniques. The fact is that their ancient techniques produced more accurate tolerances than our modern technology.

I see the same thing with the Mayan calendar which is still more accurate than ours. So while I don't buy into the world will end stuff, I don't dismiss it as just another day b/c our technology doesn't think anything will happen.

As for my guess, I don't think the Mayans were predicting the end of the world either. I think they were predicting a time of change just like the Hopi indians and many other cultures were. I'm not sure what "change" means though.

32. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    i would think the date would have more to do with the ancients use of astrology more then anything.

33. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007

yea, there hasn't been anything that said the Mayans believed it would be the end of the world.

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You'd think that if they were so prophetic, they'd have seen the Spanish coming.

jetssuck and Frumundah Finnatic like this.
  35. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I thought the Aztecs wiped out the Mayans, and then the Spaniards wiped out(or boned) the Mayans

36. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Actually they did, that's what screwed them. They had a legend of a God coming and the commander looked like their images of that God.

And they were not prophets. They were just astronomers and good at observing cycles. Arguably they were better at both of those than we are now. They also may have had data (or observations) going back longer than we have now. So while I don't see anything in our current scientific knowledge that would indicate that there will be some catastrophe like a fast pole switch or super volcano eruption related to the alignment or some other cycle, I can't say that there can't be other information that they had that did point to some catastrophe.

Just as an example, and I'm not predicting this or expecting it or anything, we believe that the super volcano under Yellowstone erupts every 600,000 - 800,000 years. That last eruption was 640,000 years ago, so most scientist believe its due. What if the Mayans or any of the other cultures that were so good at observing cycles/nature and also had oral traditions going back much further than our data, had narrowed it down to a smaller window?

Here is an excerpt from a National Geographic' article:

Ancient Global Dimming Linked to Volcanic Eruption
    Ker Than
    for National Geographic News
    March 19, 2008
    A "dry fog" that muted the sun's rays in A.D. 536 and plunged half the world into a famine-inducing chill was triggered by the eruption of a supervolcano, a new study says.

The cause of the sixth-century global dimming has long been a matter of debate, but a team of international researchers recently discovered acidic sulphate molecules, which are signs of an eruption, in Greenland ice.

This is the first physical evidence for the A.D. 536 event, which according to ancient texts from Mesoamerica, Europe, and Asia brought on a cold darkness that withered crops, sparked wars, and helped spread pestilence.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/03/080319-global-dimming.html

37. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    im with mike, i though it was the aztecs that though it was their god quetzacotl coming back and the mayan empire had been destroyed by the aztecs and other tribes. FYI mike there are still mayans around. In fact the mexican government has recieved heat for not giving them equal rights.

38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    My understanding is that we do not really know why the Mayan culture fizzled out.

One theory I read is that soul exhaustion from agriculture lead to malnutrition.