1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on the Dolphins/Bills II- The Case Against Ryan Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KeyFin, Dec 30, 2018.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    One thing that's bugged me for seven years now- we're never seen Ryan Tannehill play well on the road down the stretch of the season. In fact, he's been lousy in December in general minus a few notable performances. So even though the odds were stacked against us today, I really marked this game on the calendar weeks ago as my "final straw" for RT.

Look impressive with no real receiving talent, in a hostile stadium that you've never won in, and I'll buy in for another year. Throw two first quarter picks and add in one of your signature strip sacks, and I'm officially off that bandwagon for good. Needless to say, I don't have to tell you my final judgement on Ryan Tannehill...

One thing that did jump out at me though, Drake is basically 100% of our offense today besides a few WildCat snaps from Ballage. Overall the pass protection was adequate, the run blocks were solid and all we really had was off Guard runs or short passes to Drake. Amendola caught a few nice passes over the middle and made the right move to dive for the 1st downs, but you're just not going to win games with him as your #1. And although I like Stills, he's invisible without a larger threat on the field.

I still think that 7-9 was a decent year under the circumstances and I hope Gase gets another year with a competent quarterback. Today was about 80% of Tannehill though and the remaining 20% on circumstance....we just didn't have enough to shut Buffalo down. You have to hand it to our guys to tie it at halftime and hats off to Reshad Jones....it was simply an ugly loss though (I quit watching at 7:17 remaining when Buffalo scored, so hopefully I'm not missing a miracle 25 point comeback).

One more thing- I've been a Kiko fan and defended him for awhile now, but I think today's roughing penalty was the final straw for me. He hit the QB late TWICE today and I'm just not a fan of someone who can't control themselves. I would personally trade him because he's a dirty, out of control presence on a D that needs discipline.

Anyway, that's the season folks- hopefully we move on from Tannehill, keep Gase one more season and fire Burke/Tannenbaum. The good news is that both RT and Kiko have some trade value and I'm looking forward to a new chapter next season.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Surfs Up 99 and resnor like this.
  2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Here's one thing to watch though- I really, really think Ross wants to keep Gase. However, what happens when Gase says RT is his quarterback? He may just get himself fired this afternoon since everyone Ross is talking to is saying to fire them both.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  3. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Again you can't say Tannehill sucks and say he has trade value.

4. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Please clean house, enough is enough of this. Disgusting losses and franchise lows. No more please!

MAFishFan likes this.
  5. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Actually you could because people value things differently. A team that's otherwise solid, except at QB, might think Tannehill might be sufficient. That was Houston's situation before Watson. Would Jacksonville be interested? Not sure, but just because he's not good enough for most teams to build a contender around doesn't mean no team will value him highly.

Berezo, Surfs Up 99 and KeyFin like this.
  6. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Yeah, what cBrad said. The other thing is that I never said he sucked....I just don't think he's a long-term answer for Miami at this point.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  7. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    This game pretty much sums up Ryan Tannehil’s career. Puts up big numbers and then disappears when we need him. He’s not the answer and never will be. Good guy, has some good skills but I don’t want him as my favorite teams QB anymore.

8. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    btw today's pathetic performance by Tannehill gives him a final 92.7 rating for the year, which is a tiny bit below league average in 2018. As of right now that league average is 93.2. It'll change a small amount after all the games are finished this week of course.

So again.. an average QB statistically.

9. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    I don't know why but that paragraph made me laugh just now when I read it. I am one weird mofo! :-)

KeyFin likes this.
  10. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    That high? Sheesh! QBR really doesn't tell the whole story, does it?

11. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Hard to say in this case. Tannehill had some really good games this year too, and some bad ones. Maybe it's more or less accurate to say Tannehill this year was overall average? But that's just an opinion and everyone has one.

Surfs Up 99 and KeyFin like this.
  12. mooseguts

mooseguts Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2018
    The case against Tannehill?

He has gone 3-9 the final 3 games of the season the last 4 years. I remember when people were calling Manning a choker before he won his 1st SB because of his playoff performance. If Manning was a choker than Tannehill is a cadaver.

MAFishFan, mlb1399 and KeyFin like this.