1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Why we could end up taking Gholston Over Jake Long

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by slickj101, Apr 15, 2008.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Deadline for signing a contract = Dramaticly Less Chance of Holdouts. If the BPA is going to hold out for a ton of $$$ that they probably aren't worth (not a great draft class) then it's not worth it IMO. If Jake wants a ton of money and won't move then thats fine. I'll take Chris or Big Vern any day.

If this speculation about Jake Long not wanting to be here for the money or whatever reason is true, I would put my money on signing Gholston for 3 reasons:

1. He's a workout machine. BP loves hanging out and pushing players in the gym, since Big Vern lives there, I could see that being an excellent marriage.

2. He's been projected considerably lower then Chris Long and he doesn't have as much hype IMO. Therefore, he would probably be going a lot lower and getting a lot less money if we don't take him. It would make sense for him to quickly except an offer from us because it will most likely be much more lucrative then what he would be getting for going 5-8 etc. I also don't think anyone would mind being the #1 pick overall.

3. We can still pick from a lot of other OL men in the 2nd round.

All and all I'm really warming up to the idea of taking Gholston if we can get him or a good price. Obviously, BP and the gang has to be sold on him and not just taking him bc he's the cheapest. Vern has a huge bust or bang factor attached to him. But man, it would be one hell of a ride if he lands here.

Superself and alen1 like this.
  2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Yeah, now if he was even close to the calibur of player that either Long, Long or Dorsey were, then sure, why not..

unluckyluciano likes this.
  3. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    He has the potential to be better than both but he is right Gholston is a Boom or Bust player. I much rather have Chris Long but hey no complaints here.

Marino1983 likes this.
  4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    And it seems Jake Long does not want to play for the Fins, man I hope we jump all over Chris Long.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007

None expect from a Buckeye fan.......

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    It looks like every source out there has us talking to Gholston and not Chris Long. I'm not sure why we don't have much interest in him. My only guess to why is what I said in the beginning of this thread. I def would like to have Chris too.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Same thing I have been wondering. Ever since the report came out of the phins talking to Jake about a contract, Chris talks seemed to die down. He is still a helluva talent lol. I am just pray whoever it be, it is the right decision man.

8. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    They probably didn't like Chris Long as a OLB.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Didn't he play some of it at Virginia?

EDIT: Nevermind, that question was pointless.

10. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    :lol: too funny Alen :tongue2:

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Its really wierd how this has taken a twist. When the season ended and the draft speculation started, many thought that Chris Long would be the pick. We thought that the Dolphins would consider all options but we felt that Chris was the favorite because he seemed to be the best player and BP had close ties with Groh.

As months went on, the feelings stayed pretty much the same, for the most part. Then Jake came into discussion because of all the meetings set up with him and the impressive finish he had against Derrick Harvey, another top talent, of the Gators. As days went on, he became the favorite and started negotiations. Chris Long seemed to fall out of the picture for some unknown reason and now all of a sudden, Gholston is back in it lol.

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol I wrote it and read it like three times and then went WTH.

13. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007

Well atleast you caught it. :up::pointlol:

14. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    First thing to remember about Parsnips:

As soon as we think we have things figured out, it is probably a good time to start watching who sneaks in/out the back door.:up:

15. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Chris Long is a Patriot, maybe a Jet

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol I guess.

17. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    PFW had reported a couple of weeks ago that Chris Long was probably going to fall out of the top five so its been out there regarding Chris

alen1 likes this.
  18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Oh wow I never knew that. Do you by any chance know why?

19. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    You know from the defensive choices we have I think Gholston fits our scheme the best. Much better than Chris Long or Dorsey. If we end up with defense this guy would be the best choice (although I still like Merling)

20. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Sorry, I still say that is NONSENSE

You take a player that isnt even in the same league as others because he fits the scheme? We dont even know what that "Scheme" is yet..:no:

You take the PBA then make your scheme play into his strengths, not the other way around.

21. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Any facts to back up that opinion?

22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I believe that was one of the first things Sparano said when he was hired, correct?

23. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    . I think it simply was who teams would take with us and Oakland being the most likely choices but if we both passed (miami with jake/ oakland with gholston or mcfadden) then the next teams that would want him are the Pats and Jets. Apparently the Rams really want Jake first and foremost. If he goes to us then alot of people say the pick is dorsey or gholston. Most people have atlanta taking Ryan and then the raiders coyuld go any direction. if they pass its probably the pats for chris

alen1 likes this.
  24. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    what do you mean "we" dont know. its a 3-4 and it will be a parcells pressure type of 3-4 as opposed to the contain 3-4 belichik likes

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Interesting. Thanks for the info.

26. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Which part LOL. That he isnt (Right now) in the same league as Dorsey or Chris Long?

Ask any GURU inside or out of here. I have watched plenty of tape of the three. I EASILY stand by my assesment.

What I keep seeing and hearing in the Gholston camp is he "Could" end up being the best talent of the three because of Potential...Well, I would love to sell you some land here in the Desert that "Potentially" could be worth alot of money sometime...:up:

27. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I was asking if you personally had any original thoughts as to why he "isnt in the same league" and also how you grade 4 or 5 players that play different positions? I can read Kiper and every other "guru"s boards and assessments all day long. They start to lose their validity when they change on the hour.

And the "he has the highest potential argument" didnt come from the "Gholston Camp", It got blown up because of everyone's reaction to his performance at the combine.

28. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Poor Jake gets no respect. Even after he is asked on TV how he felt about playing for the Dolphins and said "It would be an honor" the word on the street (whatever that means) is that he hates us. Man I will be so glad to see the 26th show up so I don't have to read any more of this ..............:tantrum:

29. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Okay, what I have seen is a kid that is a very good physical specimen (The weight lifting tends to actually be a detriment BTW) but doesnt understand how to play the position that well. I have REPEATEDLY watched him take himself out of plays by overpursuing, taking bad angles or just taking no angles at all.

It has been mentioned that he started playing later in life than some, Jr in High School I think, but he should have a better understanding than what he has shown.

He does make plays, but mostly just through pure athleticism. That alone is NOT going to make you an All-pro calibur player.

I bet bottom dollar that Chris Long and Absolutely that Glenn Dorsey are ALl-Pro..Dorsey quite likely perennial.

If its my money being spent, I take the All-pro any day:up:

30. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I agree with most of that. But if you could pick anybody to improve and further educate a raw LB with a ton of athleticism, natural talent, and a tremendous work ethic.... wouldnt Bill Parcells be a name pretty high on your list?

BTW, I'm not arguing for why I'd take Gholston, I'm stating my reasoning for why we might draft him at 1.

I do believe Chris Long will be a more immediate impact player then Gholston. But have we already seen him hit his peak and is it higher then everyone elses?

Dorsey is a solid player also. But, I think we all know that this D is destined for a 3-4 and Dorsey does not fit that system. And even if we are still deciding, do you really think Dorsey is so talented that we should take him and run a 4-3? I don't.

Basically I could see Parcells seeing a raw talent in Gholston that is prime for him to polish. If he doesn't think Chris Long has as high of a ceiling as Gholston and that taking Gholston and molding him to a probowl level wouldnt be that difficult, I can see him taking Vern at 1.

azfinfanmang and alen1 like this.
  31. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I don't disagree with you on Gholsten. I still think either Long would be a better pick, but let's clarify one thing...this is not weak draft class. Now, it' weak in the sense that there isn't a clear cut #1 that just blows every one away and the top 5 are basically interchangeable. If that's why you say it's a weak class fine, but overall this is a very deep class with the exceptions of TEs and S....

Back to Gholsten...I wouldn't be shocked if he's our choice since the signs are beginning to look in his favor anyways, but Jake Long or Chris Long would be better value for us. I hope that Tunaland doesn't try to 'cheap' out of the better player at #1 overall....

32. Marino1983

Marino1983 Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    If this latest report is true J Long will be forever identified as a top 5 crybaby.

Marino1983

33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Reminds me of another one that won the SB a couple months ago...... still can't stand Eli lol.

34. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Bingo. It makes our job of evaluating and mapping out our future that much more difficult given our current situation.

Either Long is certainly better immediate value for us, but that definitely doesnt make either of them close to being a lock.

I also dont think Tuna has any intentions of "cheaping out". He is smart enough to know that this is a HUGE decision that will define his time in Miami. He's going to take who he thinks will produce the most for this team and help build our future.

35. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

I agree with that VERY MUCH. Remember two things..

1. Just cause we are hearing this and that, with Parsnips at the Helm, all of this could be a smokescreen

2. This is HIS legacy. He understands the only thing that will matter in the end is the Teams Record when all is said and done.