1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on yesterday's game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DolphinGreg, Sep 19, 2016.

1. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Hey guys,

I just got done watching every offensive snap from yesterday. I might do this every Monday. I might not. I wanted to get a sense of how well our key guys actually played given how weird the game was, being a tale of two halves and all. I’ll summarize my findings for the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] half and then do the same for the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] half. Just in case anyway wants it I’ll list what the 64 total plays were at the end.

And if you aren’t interested in anything below, here are a few bullet points:

(1) Tannehill played well. Footwork was great. Vision was good. A couple mental mistakes.
    (2) Parker was okay, but he has a lot to prove. He needs to show he’s more than JAG.
    (3) Landry was a beast, aside from the fumble.
    (4) Cameron, like Parker, needs to step up and be more than just solid which is where he’s at right now.
    (5) Drake quietly played well, caught both balls, scored a TD running, and looked explosive carrying the ball.

1[SUP]st[/SUP] Half History:
    1 - Punt
    2 - Punt
    3 - Punt
    4 - Punt
    5 - Fumble
    6 - Int
    7 - FG

1[SUP]st[/SUP] Half Summary:
    28 Total Plays
    11 Completions
    7 Incompletions
    1 Interception
    2 QB Scrambles
    1 QB Sneak
    5 Runs (hand-offs)
    1 Bad Snap

1[SUP]st[/SUP] Half Run-Pass Ratio:
    5 Running, 22 Passing, 1 QB Sneak
    1[SUP]st[/SUP] down: 10 passes, 4 runs
    2[SUP]nd[/SUP] down: 8 passes, 1 run
    3[SUP]rd[/SUP] down: 4 passes, 1 QB sneak

1[SUP]st[/SUP] Half Pass Distribution:
    1/1 Stills caught his 1 real target (1[SUP]st[/SUP] play of game, washed out by NE penalty)
    4/4 Landry caught all 4 targets (2 short, 1 quick slant catch-and-run, 1 down the right side)
    2/4 Cameron caught 2 short passes, one right, one left. The first incompletion was on a crosser, slightly behind JC and broken up. The second was a deep shot into double coverage down the left sideline and slightly past JC.
    2/2 Ajayi was 2 for 2 on check downs
    1/1 Drake was 1 for 1 on quick pass in the flat
    1/1 Sims was 1 for 1 on an intermediate crosser
    0/4 Parker got 4 targets in Q2 but never converted
    0/1 Throw-Away (uncatchable over Stills’ head on crosser)

1[SUP]st[/SUP] Half 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]-downs:
    (1) Tannehill throws incomplete to Cameron on a 10yd crosser. Pass is slightly behind, gets broken up
    (2) Rushed QB sneak fails
    (3) Tannehill takes deep shot to Cameron down left sideline in double coverage (bad decision)
    (4) Premature snap wastes down
    (5) Great protection allows Tannehill to find Cameron late for short pickup (leads to FG)

Overall: 1 out of 5 (not good)

1[SUP]st[/SUP] Half Mistakes:
    (1) Landry fumbles while fighting for yardage on sideline (bad situational awareness)
    (2) Bad leverage leads to immediate pressure and INT (bad execution plus bad decision)
    (3) Premature snap wastes a down and leads to 4[SUP]th[/SUP] consecutive punt.

1[SUP]st[/SUP] Half Notes:

(1) In general I was pleased with all pass catchers including the TEs and RBs, who were 5 for 5 in catching quick passes into the flats. The star was Landry who was 4 for 4 including a couple big 20-yd plays.

(2) Stills got one look on the opening play and then saw 0 targets through the rest of the half. I figured he’d be getting more looks. Maybe he was the downfield option on the plays where Tannehill scrambled but I don’t know.

(3) Parker was involved in the intermediate range. After no looks in Q1, he got 4 targets in Q2 and didn’t catch anything. One seemed excusable (a bullet throw into traffic, possibly uncatchable) while the other 3 included an unspectacular comeback route that was easily defended, a jump ball that was broken up and a throw to the side of the end-zone on the final play before the FG that was wide but catchable. None of those were perfect situations but I’m not going to defend a guy who needs perfect ball placement time after time. Parker didn’t hurt the team but he did nothing to help the team in the first half. He looked more like an UDFA than a 1[SUP]st[/SUP] round pick.

(4) Tannehill threw the ball well in the first half but mentally he graded as average. First is the INT—clearly a hasty decision. Trying to be aggressive he pushed the ball out but his arm was hit and it fell short. That simply wasn’t smart. Second was the deep shot to Cameron on 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] down during drive number 3 which was well covered. It’s fine to be aggressive and take the shot at some point but not when you’re coming off multiple punts and your team is down 14 points and badly needs a conversion to move the chains. Tannehill needs to be smarter and find a way to convert. There may not have been a worse mistake in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] half for Tannehill. When his team needed some support and the offense needed to get itself on track, he casually opted for a risky throw that never seemed to have a chance. We’ve seen the offense stall before and I don’t like when the QB appears to be part of the problem.

The rest of the half was decent. A few throws were a tad late and some were just slightly off the mark but it’s just as important to note that those things will show most when the receiver is either Parker or Cameron. Both have a tendency to drop imperfect-but-catchable passes. Both Parker and Cameron showed this tendency in the first half against NE. To put it in perspective, 5 other guys caught passes without a single drop or incompletion amongst them. If Cameron and Parker are to feature in this offense they need to be special rather than solid.

(5) The fact that Gase called 22 passes to only 5 runs may have been influenced to some degree by the Patriots scoring but none-the-less it reflects a tendency towards throwing on 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] down that is in line with how Miami has operated in the past including how they’ve attacked NE. The Dolphins passed on 10 of 14 first down plays and 8 of 9 second down plays in the first half. The fact is, without a better running game it’s hard ask for more.

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Half History:
    1 - Fumble
    2 - TD
    3 - TD
    4 - TD
    5 - Downs

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Half Summary:
    36 Total Plays
    23 Completions
    4 Incompletions
    1 PI
    2 QB Scrambles
    5 Runs (hand-offs)
    1 Spike

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Half Run-Pass Ratio:
    5 Running, 30 Passing, 1 QB Spike
    1[SUP]st[/SUP] down: 15 passes, 3 runs (1 scramble counted as pass)
    2[SUP]nd[/SUP] down: 9 passes, 2 runs (1 scramble counted as pass)
    3[SUP]rd[/SUP] down: 5 passes, 0 runs
    4[SUP]th[/SUP] down: 1 pass, 0 runs

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Half Pass Distribution:
    8/9 Parker caught everything except the final ball at the end
    2/3 Stills caught everything except the overthrown ball at the end
    7/7 Landry caught everything
    3/3 Cameron caught everything
    2/2 Ajayi was 2 for 2 on check downs
    1/1 Drake was 1 for 1 on a short pass right
    0/1 Throw-Away (WR screen to Landry blown up)
    0/1 Ball batted at LOS

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Half 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]-down:
    (1) Beautifully designed roll-out gives Tannehill an easy toss to Parker, results in a big catch and run
    (2) Tannehill can’t find a receiver, under pressure he move right and hits Ajayi along the right sideline
    (3) Tannehill shows great touch on a soft 12yd wheel route toss to Landry (1-handed), play goes for 33yd
    (4) Tannehill hits Landry short left on a quick slant to convert
    (5) Tannehill takes a shot to Stills who’s covered downfield at the end, pass overthrown and incomplete

Overall: 4 out of 5 (pretty good)

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Half Mistakes:
    (1) Ajayi fumbles on the opening drive which up to that point looked great. This was a momentum killer that ended up being critically important as Miami needed a TD in the end. Having not wasted the first drive would’ve really helped. What a blunder.

Player Performance:
    Tannehill: 34/47 for 389yd, 2TD, 2INT, 4 scrambles
    Landry: 11/11, 137yd
    Parker: 8/13, 106yd
    Stills: 3//4, 39yds, TD
    TE: 6/8, 70yd, TD
    RB: 6/6

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Half Notes:

(1) Parker was 8 for 8 in the second half before that final play which some might argue was a bit overthrown. I’d actually contest that Parker slowed a bit on the route and was out of position but nevertheless, we saw some of the Parker we wanted to see. The positive angle is that Parker doesn’t drop easily-catchable passes. I’d like to believe you don’t have to spend a 1[SUP]st[/SUP] round pick on that but it’s at least a credit to him as a WR that if he’s open, he’ll catch it.

I’m not going to sugarcoat it though. Parker saved what would’ve been a disappointing day simply by avoiding big mistakes in the second half. The 106yds receiving means little to me because 7 of those 8 catches were on short routes or in open space. I saw only a single catch that meant much of anything to me which was the 28yd pass down the right sideline (P2 of drive 9). That was a great effort.

(2) Landry is the bomb. He was great in this game. Technically he caught 10 passes because 1 was negated by a Stills holding penalty. Nevertheless, he fought hard for his 137 yards. Outside of the fumble he was awesome—A perfect 4 for 4 in the first half and a perfect 7 for 7 in the second.

(3) I was really pleased with the supplementary receivers in this game (TEs & RBs). Ajayi and Drake combined to go 6 for 6 in this game while the TEs went 6 for 8 for 70 yards and a TD. What’s really cool is that the production is perfectly symmetric. They got the same targets in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] half they did in the first. That’s the good news. They do the easy stuff. The bad news? Cameron looks like Anthony Fasano 2.0. He’s not a big-time weapon if you ask me. He’s a solid TE that will catch the ball if he’s wide open or it’s put in his gut (i.e. the TD throw). I’ll finish on a positive with the TEs. The most impressive reception by a TE was Sims’ catch-and-run. It was a fastball thrown high and away yet Sims caught it and kept going for 21 yards.

(4) To wrap up with Tannehill, I thought he played well in the second half although it's very difficult to judge just how much effort the Pats were putting forth in Q3. They were up 28 points at that point and were letting off the gas from an effort standpoint. The pressure simply wasn't coming full bore and Tannehill had a lot more time in the pocket. That's not a coincidence in the Q3 when being out of gas is not in the equation. The offense was slightly more up-tempo in the 2nd half but I didn't see a different QB. The footwork and vision was still there (both positives). Tannehill moved in the pocket as well as he ever has and scrambled 2 more times in the 2nd half for a total of 4, which is what many of us have been asking for. In the end Tannehill played a more than solid game. He's becoming a QB that grades out pretty cleanly. I can only go back and find maybe 2-3 plays where I'd like to see something different.

mlb1399, resnor, Pandarilla and 4 others like this.
  2. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    Drive 1: Q1-10:53

P1 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D25, QB-UC, Bootleg right complete to Stills for 9-yd gain (holding-NE, accepted, 5yd)
    P2 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D30, QB-UC, Foster run off-RT, bounce outside, 3-yd
    P3 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) D33, QB-SG, pressure thru RG, throw-away over Stills coming across, QB hit
    P4 (3[SUP]rd[/SUP]) D33, QB-SG, bunch left, multiple crossers, pressured throw behind and incomplete to Cameron
    P5 (4[SUP]th[/SUP]) punt

Drive 2: Q1-6:22

P1 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D25, QB-UC, zone run left, Foster cutback for 5-yd
    P2 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) D30, QB-UC, pocket pressured, QB slides left, scrambles ahead for 4
    P3 (3[SUP]rd[/SUP]) D34, QB-UC, quick-snap QB-sneak for no gain
    P4 (4[SUP]th[/SUP]) D34, punt

Drive 3: Q2-13:07 (no QB headset)

P1 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D10, QB-UC, two-TE set, Foster run behind right side for 1yd
    P2 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) D11, QB-SG, 2x2 set, quick out to RB Drake left side for 4yd
    P3 (3[SUP]rd[/SUP]) D15, QB-SG, 1x2 set, well protected, long pass to Cameron down left sideline incomplete
    P4 (4[SUP]th[/SUP]) D15, punt

Drive 4: Q2-10:02 (QB headset working)

P1 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D14, QB-SG, 1x2 set, quick-slant to Landry slot right for 21yd
    P2 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D35, QB-SG, 1x2 set, good protection, deep shot to Parker left, tough catch incomplete
    P3 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) D35, QB-SG, 1x2 set, Ajayi run off LT bounce outside, 4yd
    P4 (3[SUP]rd[/SUP]), D39, QB-SG, bad snap, ball recovered by QB at D20
    P5 (4[SUP]th[/SUP]), D20, punt

Drive 5: Q2-6:02 (following McCain-induced Amendola fumble)

P1 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D42, QB-SG, 2x1 set, 10-yd pass incomplete to Parker (covered) middle
    P2 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) D42, QB-UC, 2x1 set, quick out to Landry left, fumble, recovered NE

Drive 6: Q2-2:48

P1 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D25, QB-SG, 3x0 set, hand-off to Ajayi run behind RG for 7yd
    P2 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) D32, QB-SG, 2-1 set, quick throw to Cameron left for 14yd
    P3 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D46, QB-SG, 1x2 set, pressure from center blitz, QB slides and dumps to Ajayi right for 8yd
    P4 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) P46, QB-SG, 2x2 set, pressure from RG, pass intercepted, (QB arm hit)

A closer examination of the pressure shows that TE JC who started on the shoulder of the RT actually ran left at the snap, directly behind RG Bushrod impeding his ability to drop back. This allowed rusher K. Long to get through Bushrod’s right should and push into the pocket. With immediate pressure, the QB made a bad decision in throwing the ball over the middle. Worse, his arm was hit and the ball ended well short. It was a series of unfortunate events culminating in a bad decision.

Drive 7: Q2-0:58

P1 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D14, QB-SG, (12-men penalty NE)
    P1 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]), D19, QB-SG, 1x2 set, short pass to Ajayi in right flat for 7yd
    P2 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]), D26, QB-SG, 2x1 set, incomplete to Parker right on comeback at sticks
    P3 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]), D26, QB-SG, 2x1 set, pass complete to Landry left for 6yd
    P4 (3[SUP]rd[/SUP]), D32, QB-SG, 1x3 set, good protection, late read to Cameron right for 5yd, QB hit
    P5 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]), D37, QB-SG, 3x1 set, great protection, nobody open, QB scrambles right for 8yd
    P6 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]), D45, QB-SG, 1x3 set, pressured throw complete to Sims across middle for 20yd
    P7 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]), N35, QB-SG, 2x3 set, good protection, tight throw to Landry along right side for 25yd
    P8 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]), N9, QB-SG, 2x2 set, no one open, QB slides right, throw to Parker along sideline incomplete
    P9 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]), FG

Drive 8: Q3-15:00

P1 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D25, QB-SG, 0x3 set, WR screen to Landry right, missed tackle, 3yd (holding on Stills)
    P2 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D15, QB-SG, 0x3 set, 3yd crosser to Cameron goes for 11yd
    P3 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) D26, QB-SG, 3x1 set, quick slant to Landry left for 8yd
    P4 (3[SUP]rd[/SUP]) D34, QB-UC, 2TE set, designed rollout to Parker in flat for 18yd
    P5 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) N48, QB-SG, 1x3 set, Ajayi run up middle behind, 1yd
    P6 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) N47, QB-SG, 1x2 set, complete to Parker right on comeback for 13yd
    P7 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) N34, QB-SG, 2x1 set, stretch run right Ajayi fumble

Drive 9: Q3-8:44

P1 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D25, QB-SG, 3x1 set, comeback to Parker right for 5yd
    P2 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) D30, QB-SG, 2x1 set, deep toss to Parker right for 28yd
    P3 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) N42, QB-SG, 2x1 set, 2yd cross to Drake right
    P4 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) N40, QB-SG, 3x0 set, WR screen blown up and throw away
    P5 (3[SUP]rd[/SUP]) N40, QB-SG, 2x1 set, pressure QB slides right hits Ajayi along sideline for 11yd
    P6 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) N29, QB-SG, 2x1 set, quick out to Parker right for 5yd
    P7 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) N24, QB-SG, 2x1 set, TD Stills on out and up deep shot left sideline

Drive 10: Q3-2:04

P1 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D12, QB-UC, 2x1 set, run Drake off RT for 5yd
    P2 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) D17, QB-SG, 2x1 set, quick curl to Parker short right for 4yd
    P3 (3[SUP]rd[/SUP]) D21, QB-SG, 3x1 set, long toss to Landry left on wheel route for 33yd
    P4 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) N46, QB-SG, 1x2 set, designed roll to left, complete to Landry on short crosser for 14yd
    P5 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) N32, QB-SG, 2x2 set, deep to Parker left (PI-NE)
    P6 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) N12, QB-SG, 2x3 set, TD to Cameron up left seam

Drive 11: Q4-10:49

P1 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D26, QB-UC, 2TE set, Play action, check down to Cameron 7yd
    P2 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) D33, QB-UC, 1x1 set, run Ajayi up middle 1yd
    P3 (3[SUP]rd[/SUP]) D34, QB-SG, 1x2 set, quick slant to Landry right for 5yd
    P4 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D39, QB-SG, 1x2 set, bullet to Parker on across middle for 13yd
    P5 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) N48, QB-SG, 1x2 set, complete to Landry middle catch and run for 15yd
    P6 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) N33, QB-SG, 1x2 set, RB screen to Ajayi right 5yd
    P7 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) N28, QB-SG, 3x1 set, complete to Stills left on curl for 15yd
    P8 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) N13, QB-SG, 1x2 set, QB runs right, scrambles for 6yd
    P9 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) N7, QB-UC, 2x1 set, run Drake off RT for 6yd TD

Drive 12: Q4-1:04

P1 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D29, QB-SG, 2x1 set, complete to Parker on slant across middle for 20
    P2 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) D49, QB-SG, 1x2 set, incomplete ball batted at LOS
    P3 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) D49, QB-SG, 1x2 set, QB run up middle for 17yd
    P4 (1[SUP]st[/SUP]) N34, QB-UC, spike to stop clock
    P5 (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) N34, QB-SG, quick out to Landry right for 5yd
    P6 (3[SUP]rd[/SUP]) N29, QB-SG, 2x1 set, deep to Stills right incomplete, overthrow
    P7 (4[SUP]th[/SUP]) N29, QB-SG, 2x1 set, deep to Parker in end-zone incomplete

3. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Wow.. This is great info to look through man.. Thanks for all the hard work

4. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Nice job.

The only discrepancy i would note is that Landry ran backward a couple of times one where I think he had a 1st down but gave it away. Hopefully Alex will hook us up again so I can rewatch.

DolphinGreg likes this.
  5. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I recall this on at least one play. I noted this in Landry' rookie year: as whatever his face says: Ya gotta know when to fold 'em.

Love love love his intensity (even his fights post catch), but I just wish he'd show a tad more awareness when it comes to knowing where the sticks are on down and distance. Other than that, our team needs a little spark. And I dig his quote in the press where he said "We don't want to be an 'almost' team", or something to that effect.

I've loved him ever since he's gotten here. Can't say the same for some when he first came on board. :tongue2:

** And to Greg: Good stuff! I appreciate the breakdown! **

dolphin25 and DolphinGreg like this.
  6. smahtaz

Kenny Rogers. lol

Colmax likes this.
  7. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    That's him! Haha

8. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    I don't think Landry was guilty of giving up any yardage he didn't pick right back up. I understand the criticism but it's real close. There was a quick hitting comeback route to the outside which went for about 4 yards. Landry came back strangely on that one (a lot) but the officials gave him everything on that play because he basically got back to his spot.

I think he refuses to go down (and is vulnerable to being stripped) but when he gives up a yard or two to make a move he virtually always gets it back so I forgive him on that. Refusing to go down is kind of stupid though and I agree he's a penalty waiting to happen in nearly every game. There was one play where he screamed in the officials face, and I mean right in his face, after the play. If there was a rule against being an inconsiderate dick it would have been called. Reminded me of Chris Hogan of the Bills literally dropping the football at the refs feet Thursday instead of handing it to him. Yeah Hogan...you got a first down...act like you been there brah.

FYI, the entire game is actually on YouTube. It'll probably get taken down if it hasn't already.

dolphin25 likes this.
  9. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Parker was gassed by the end, but name the last receiver who had back to back 100 yd. games against the Pats...Landry? I can't think of any, maybe Chambers. Well Parker did just that, and he did it his first two tries. Solid my ***, Parker is our best receiver and he didn't fumble either.

Nobody really brings up the communication issues they had in the first half.

Or the fact they had 0 sacks. When was the last time that happened?

Piston Honda, smahtaz and resnor like this.
  10. smahtaz

No doubt about it, the Dolphins are a better team with Parker on the field. His foot/leg issues are hampering his conditioning though. Let hope they can get him on a manageable plan.

Pandarilla and dolphin25 like this.
  11. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    Here’s his game:

x – Chance to make special play – jump ball incomplete
    x – Confusing play (no blame awarded)
    x – Casually-run comeback route results in pass being broken up
    x – 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Chance to make a special play – sideline incomplete
    1 – 2yd flat (Easy #1, results in 18yac via creative play design)
    2 – 13yd dig, uncontested body catch, hangs on after DB makes solid hit, well done.
    3 – 5yd out. (Easy #2)
    4 – 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] chance to make a special play – jump ball for 28yd. Good read/trust by the QB and GREAT catch!
    5 – 5yd out. (Easy #3).
    6 – 4yd out. (Easy #4).
    7 – 13yd crosser (Open in space – converts a great throw by QB)
    8 – 15yd post, (Free release, open in space, 5 YAC before contact)
    x – 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Chance to make special play – incomplete

Let me be clear. My comments were conclusions reached based not on the live broadcast but on a careful re-watch and the information above. I don’t see much besides reception 4 that speaks to his being a hero of any kind in this game, particularly given his slow start.

To clarify what may seem like an unsympathetic, mean and generally pissy perspective, I would not say that making a reception on a comeback, curl or dig against soft coverage constitutes making a great play. For a starting receiver, I file that under ‘doing your job’ and that’s something that keeps you employed, nothing more.

Sunday, Parker was solid because in the second half he did his job and then some. However, that second half was full of receptions that were easy grabs with several being basically uncontested. He had 4-5 opportunities throughout the day to convert on plays I would label special—things like contested jump balls, tough catches in traffic, making a catch while dragging the feet along the sideline, etc. And on those he converted just 1.

Hence, I praised Parker for doing the easy things but still having much to prove—particularly given his reputation. I also don’t like how Parker’s production mostly came due to a volume of passes in what might legitimately be criticized as garbage time due to the score differential, but that’s another story. It was an almost-comeback and Parker was part of it so I give him his credit.

Here’s a bullet-point breakdown of what he did:
    1) 52 yards on 7 fairly easy, uncontested receptions
    2) 26 additional YAC on 2 plays in open field (by design, not effort)
    3) 28 yards on a spectacular jump ball (pure effort)
    4) 2-3 incompletions where special plays could have been made

The fact remains that a marginal receiver can do (1), (2) and (4). If Parker is only going to do (3) once a game, he’s not living up to his position within this organization and this offense. As I already stated, if Gase’s offense is going to be special in Miami it requires that Cameron and Parker be special players. Quite frankly, I doubt that Cameron can be an elite player. He’s had too many chances for me to think otherwise. He’s been average far too many times and had too few great moments.

However, I do think Parker can be a truly special player. This team believed in him enough to draft him in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] round and physically he has the raw size and speed to be a critical asset. But this game reeked of someone who wasn’t quite ready, who wasn’t that sharp and who isn’t quite living up to the demands of the challenge set out before him. He was solid and the potential of this offense to some degree rests with him being great (and he can be)so it's only fair that he gets examined as such.

Two Tacos and Pandarilla like this.
  12. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I think he looks the part out there. Teams will need to double him once he starts proving what he can do. That will open things up for all the other receivers which is what will make Parker special.