1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Three Things....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by FinFan316, Oct 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    Tough loss Sunday. Three things I want to comment on:

1. No way was this loss Hennes fault.
    He may not be what we want him to be right now, but I think he is what he ought to be, and I dont think he is what hes gonna be. Hes a tough kid and he played tough. Even when his WRs let him down, RBs didnt pick up hot reads, Oline didnt block for crap, he played well. He kept us out of negative plays and didnt give the Steelers and easy time of it. We may want someone with more flair, but I think Henne is the real deal. And as most of you know, when it comes to the Fins, I am not easily impressed.

2. We should not blame the refs. The call was atrocious. That ref should be fined and disciplined. Total BS call. However, and that idiot post from that idiot Steelers fan notwithstanding, we had a chance to win this game. Even after that call, we had a chance to win the game. We had opportunities in the first quarter, we had a chance for a big stop before they got to red zone. We need to play better.

3. We may not be elite, but I do think we are as tough as any team in this league. I dont need to be told this league is about winning. And I am not taking consolation from kicking Pittsburgh's *** physically...but we did. If you look at their training room this morning, its going to be loaded with players who physically got their asses handed to them. And they are one of the toughest teams in the league. We physically showed up and manned up and beat their ***.

None of these mean alot taken alone. We are what we are, and we have to deal with it. We have played three good teams, and we are 0-3 against them. I know what I think and most of you do too as to why that is....but as fans, we dont get to make those decisions.

Mr Ross has a big decision to make...Do you steven ick with these guys and keep continuity with the young players even if it means X and O wise they are going to suffer, or do you risk more instability by bringing in a new coach, with new systems, with new philosophies and hope it overlays to some of the younger guys.

I dont know what he'll do. And in the end, it wont matter. I'll be here next week and next year, complaining like hell, and keeping a flicker of hope that before I die somehow a miracle can happen and these guys can win the big one.

2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Yup. He played a great game today. Made smart decisions, was careful with the football, and as you said, avoided negative plays. Exactly what we needed him to do against the best D in the league.

I'm going to disagree a bit here... while I agree that yes, we should have done better with the early opportunities we had, but what happened at the end of this game is inexcusable. There's a team of guys out there who are being paid to ensure fair play. They blew it today. That's just wrong.

After yesterday's performance, I feel even more confident in this team, that we can play anyone, and be extremely competitive. As long as we stop shooting ourselves in the foot, with dumb penalties, dumb playcalls, and poor execution, this team can be very dangerous, and beat anyone IMO.

I think Ross stays the course. The team has clearly improved. I think some changes should happen offensively, I think we need to go another direction there, especially after watching the growth of Henne for the rest of the season. I don't expect any major changes really.

Pandarilla, dolfan7171 and MikeHoncho like this.
  3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I posted this in another thread but it makes sense here as well:

Ok, logic test for the ones who say we shouldn't of even been in position to have the game called by a ref:

If no team should be in that position, that means every single close game is because of teams not playing their best. However, if every team did play their best that would mean you'd have a close game. Logic loop. Which means that line of thinking is flawed.

In the end, we made the necessary plays to win the game (forcing and recovering a fumble) and it was negated by the refs atrocious decisions. Saying anything else is devoid of logic.

4. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Perfectly written and I couldn't agree with you more!

Fin D likes this.
  5. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    We had more then two minutes to drive the ball about 35 yards to kick a winning FG. He failed. The loss may not be entirely Hennes fault, but he is to blame. Did you watch the pre game show that showed him being asked about Parcells? He was asked about Parcells leaving...the reporter said Parcells didn't believe he had it in him to be an elite QB in this league. That is one of the reasons he left like he did. The truth is the elite QB's (Marino, Elway, Big Ben, Favre, Rivers) always look down field first. If nothing is there, they extend the play by moving around then take their shot down field. Henne quickly throws it 2 yards when 6 is needed. I like Henne, but I see what Parcells is talking about. Henne is more like Feidler.

Those early FGs should have been TDs. We did have a chance to win even afterwards.

The Lions are tough too, but the bottom line is the W column. I do like what I see from this team compared to the past. I remember how soft we were when CamCam was the coach. I like the toughness of this team. We just have to make a few adjustments.

Alot of people are always wondering why the Pats have so many picks every year. It's because they place the team and winning first. Note they traded Moss prior to the deadline for a pick. That was smart. They won nothing with him, but got something for him. Team winning first. I would have loved to see the Phins trade Ronnie Brown for a pick too. We have won nothing with him, and could have gotten something for him. I like Ronnie alot, but making a decision like that keeps the Phins in the hunt fro a long time. The more picks we get, the better we get. Potential only goes for so long in my book. For players and coaches. Sometimes you have to let friends go to improve.

6. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    35yds? So you think a ~60 yrd FG would have been possible? The game I watched had the Dolphins at about the 25 yrd line with 2:19 left.

This illogical thinking around here is baffeling to me. The Dolphins scored enough points to win if the refs don't blow that call. What else do you want them to do? Blow out the best defense in the NFL by 50 points? Hell, we scored more points against the Steelers than anyone they've played this season. Why is that not good enough?

Let me put in another way. If the game ended and we won 22-20, but the league decided to give the Steelers 3 points for a 23-22 win, would you say these same things? Because that's what happened. The refs gave the Steelers 3 points. That is not up for argument. Also, we scored more points than the Steelers when they don't get help from the refs. Again, that's not up fro argument.

CaribPhin likes this.
  7. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    My bad. We needed 40 yards. We needed to get to their 35 yard line for a 52 yard attempt. Well within Carpenters range.

What's illogical is thinking we automatically win the game. It's not automatic. Pitt had 3 time outs left. Look at our play calling. What do you think we wold have done? We would have tried to be ultra consertive. We would have ran it three times. Pitt would have called a timeout each time. They would probably have gotten the ball back with anywhere from 1:30 - 2:00 minutes left. They could have then went 40 yards or less (depending on how we tackled them on the special teams) for a winning FG.

You don't know what the outcome would have been. I think we possibly could have won that game if not for the call, but that's not a given.

GMJohnson and FinFan316 like this.
  8. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Anyone who blames yesterday on Henne needs their head examined. He looks to be at the least a good QB, and maybe even a very good. Will he be Manning or Brady good ? Probably not, but surround him with a good stout and tough defense, and he should be able to produce at the least an AFC Championship appearance, and with luck, a SB appearance or even a win.

MarinePhinFan likes this.
  9. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I don't blame Henne. But I do understand why Parcells thinks that. Parcells is looking for a QB who would win that game in the end. He doesn't have faith that Henne is that QB.

Is it Henne or the play calling of Henning? Some here have said each of them.

10. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    I think you can win with Henne, but not with Henning. His play calling is just not right for this QB and team the way it is structured. They seem to be a rhythm offense, and Henning seems to like to call to many change-ups and it breaks the flow of what they get into.

gunn34 and FinFan316 like this.
  11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You are confusing logic and speculation. Logic dictates we were in the lead and should have had the ball. At the point time the refs screwed the pooch, we were in the lead. The refs took that lead away. Plain and simple.

MarinePhinFan likes this.
  12. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    He should. Henne has 4 game winning drives in his 19 starts. A very impressive trait with Henne is that he doesn't really get rattled.

13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    A forced fumble and recovery by our defense when it mattered was taken from us when it mattered.

Henne and the defense played well enough to win that game.

GMJohnson, Ozzy, jetssuck and 2 others like this.
  14. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    45 to 50 yards would have been better.

Also, I realize that a win would not have been automatic. However, what was automatic is we would have been leading with 2 minutes or less left in the game. I like that scenario better than us being behind and having to drive 45-50 yards with 2 minutes left.

15. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Is this bizarro world?

Pandarilla likes this.
  16. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    *against the best defense in the league.

Not to mention having to go and do that right after getting kicked squarely in the nuts by the Refs. I mean morale does play a part in this too.

17. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    regarding Henne .... exactly who is he learning from ... ah yes, CP -- an incredible down the field passer

i stated this at the end of last year .... whilst CP IS one of the smartest players in the league, he doesn't go deep all that often either - less play action (which he is very good at) .... we needed Henne to spend the off season with 1- his WRs to develop timing tendancies, etc (which he still does not have with Marshall) and 2- Marino to better understand trusting your arm and throwing downfield.

CP, if he isn't going to play this year .... has outlived his usefulness to Henne, because Henne is NOT at all like CP -- but is trying to play like him. It's just not a good match.

I'll let others look at film, but not sure just how often Henne is provided an opportunity to go deep .... we don't have a Wallace, and we don't have a Ward either .... we have Marshall and Bess and we know that the opponents defense scheme is to take Marshall away. Fasano is doing 'ok', but we need someone else to step up .... conceding that we are playing a lot of max protect.

gunn34 and MikeHoncho like this.
  18. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    This is wrong on two levels.

One, even if we recover that fumble (or more exact, if the refs would have not blown the call) they still have three timeouts. We get the ball at the 20 with over 2 minutes left. They would have gotten the ball back with a chance to kick..and they have a pretty good kicker.

Two, without recovering the fumble, we still had a chance to win the game. The playcalling sequence at the end was somewhere between curious and disasterous.

The refs added a degree of difficulty, but we have to get better. Thats the key takeaway, above all else.

GMJohnson and gunn34 like this.
  19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Nothing you wrote disproves my point. Sorry.

You're speculating. I don't know how to be more clear, though I suspect I could do the thinking for you and get your brain to agree with this basic logic, and you'd still tell us all how bad the dolphins suck.

20. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I don't see him saying the Dolphins suck. Just most people here seem to think that without that horrible call we automatically win. Automatically. There was still enough time (and time outs) for (potentially) both teams to get the ball. We would have to had gotten 2 or 3 first downs to ice it.

trust me...I think the whole fan base is pissed. No one is more pissed then another. I would like to have seen us in the right call to see what we would have done. Hopefully playing Ricky for the win.

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm going by his past posts. If you read my post he quoted, you'll find that I'm not saying we'd have won.

gunn34 likes this.
  22. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    The bold part of your statement is a matter of faith. Fact remains, we got screwed royally.

316 has faith that the Dolphins are a second-rate team not worthy of competing at the level of the "elite" teams, which, time and time again is debunked as false.

23. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    We always compete with the "elite" teams. We have just come up short lately. I think with a playmeker on offense, we win these games. We need a Chris Johnson or Percy Harvin type playmaker.

FinFan316 likes this.
  24. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Very well put.... I am tired of ppl saying we should not have left it to the refs

Fin D likes this.
  25. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    You may be tired of it, but its true. We still had opportunities to win this game.

Blaming the refs is easy. Taking responsibility to play better on offense to score TDs instead of FGs is hard.

And I am not just saying this...Ozzy and I had a banter back in forth when the FGs happened.

Even if that call goes our way, we still could have lost.

Its over now. Heres to 13-3! :hi5:

26. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    Lmeister...i am going to explain this to you once more. Elite is not competing. Elite is winning. Second rate is continuing to come close in games vs good teams...and losing.

I hope that clears it up for you.

27. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Every single thing in bold are what ifs. So if you can say they need to play better, or should have scored more early then it HAS to be ok to also point to the refs as a reason for losing, or at the very least, having a much better chance to win in the end.

The facts are the facts.
    The what ifs are the what ifs.

28. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    me too...we needed to beat them twice, and we couldn't, once wasn't good enough...However, I gotta good grip on my team moving forward, and I feel good about them.

29. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Gunn, you thinking Parcell's left because of Henne is funny..and wrong imo..

30. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    We should not blame the refs is a "what if"?

We need to play better is a "what if"?

C'mon man, you know better than this.

We still had a chance to win. Thats not a what if. Thats a fact. A FG wins that game for us.

31. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Your points that they needed TD's in the first two drives were what ifs. Yes! What if we scored 10 instead of 6? We would have won. What if.

What if they made that stop on the big play that brought them near the goal? That most definitely is a what if which is fine but what you're trying to make us forget is that the absolute biggest play happened on the Qb draw right after that. But we're supposed to just drop it because it meant nothing towards the Miami loss?

We should not blame the call is a what if. The call was admittingly incorrect at the goaline. What if they had let it play out and found Miami to be in possession?

Full of what ifs and I don't need to be better than anything. I'm just fine, and correct in saying my assessment of all situations of that game.

32. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    My biggest problem was the D not being able to stop the long ones.
    I understand one but three.
    People talk about Henne but the D particularly the Cbs are a concern