1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thrilla in Manilla

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by maynard, Apr 12, 2009.

1. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    is an hour long program thats been running on HBO. sort of a documentary with clips of the fight and interviews.

it is an absolute must see! :up:

some conclusions i drew from watching it were:

Ali, imo, was an a-hole. he went way beyond showmanship and fight promotion. he was a jerk with a nice smile

ali won, but it really was a draw. between frazier's corner calling the fight while it was confirmed that ali wanted his gloves cut at the same moment means its a draw to me. one speculated that if frazier had stood up for round 15, ali wouldnt have

based on that, if ali was the greatest, frazier was at least his equal, though the case of george foreman gives ali the edge

frazier is mental.

the two men nearly killed each other. if i were to sum it up, ali killed frazier's mind; frazier killed ali's body

we will never see anything like again. you simply could not craft a better story than these two against each other. just incredible

2. charlestonphan

charlestonphan Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    havent seen it yet, but want to. someone i know who saw it says that it is sad and moving to see Frazier and the shape he is now in.

maynard likes this.
  3. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    they both hate each other imo, a special kind of hate, which is rare in boxing believe it or not. That is why they liked to take each other apart.
    I would say ali won as he lasted longer. Frazier beating him to the punch, no pun intended, in quitting, still means frazier lost imo.
    Frazier is underrated as a boxer as he fought a couple of other good boxers and beat the best there was, but either way you are talking about some wars in the ring he had with ali.
    And they both were a holes :pointlol:

maynard likes this.
  4. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    oh yeah. frazier is a nut. i mean...they guy is happy ali is in the condition he is in now. and really, frazier isnt that far away

foreman is one of the few who still has his brain left. larry holmes can barely get his words out

i think ali gets a pass because the media was in love with him, but the guy was just a total jerk, imo. i think today's media would be much harsher on him though. calling somebody a gorilla and uncle tom and that "real" black people supporting only him would not fly today. the guy got free reign because he was able to crack some jokes with a flashy smile

its crazy to think that frazier had basically been fighting with one eye for most of his career

unluckyluciano likes this.
  5. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    yeah most people don't know but frazier has the great habit of making fun of ali and his parkinsons, as well as taking credit for it as his handy work.
    Boxers like foreman, de la hoya and to an extent sugar ray leonard are the smart guys as they use their fame to find something else to do, thus they can fight whenever they so choose and not have to fight when its starting to effect their bodies.
    The really great thing about ali and frazier was their contrasting boxing styles. Couple that with their man hate for one another and that makes for some great fights. :up:

maynard likes this.