Tied for 2nd?

45 replies

FIFinsAreLifeNew Member
Nov 30, 2008, 07:05 PM

"Roman529 wrote:

Steelers up by 16 yeeeahhhhhhhhhh!!! Cmon Denver Donkeys!!!! :yes:

Heck yeah, and now denver made a big 4th down stop! If they can get one more score off a long drive we're in good shape.

Roman529Roman529New Member
Nov 30, 2008, 07:05 PM

Yeahhhhhh Jets fail on 4th down....Broncos ball. Sweeet.

FIFinsAreLifeNew Member
Nov 30, 2008, 07:10 PM

thats it, thats the game, TD broncos!!

FIFinsAreLifeNew Member
Nov 30, 2008, 07:12 PM

cassel throws another INT, also game over!

And another TD by Pitt!

femalefinfanfemalefinfanLuxury Box
Nov 30, 2008, 07:14 PM

Things line up pretty nicley this week, huh?

HysterikiLLHysterikiLLNew Member
Nov 30, 2008, 07:14 PM

"GridIronKing34 wrote:

At 7-5, it amazes me that people think that if we go 10-6 there is no way we'd get into the playoffs, even at 11-5.. some people think there's no way we'd go to the playoffs...

Let's face it, it's rare when a 10-6 team doesn't get into the playoffs, let alone a 11-5... Teams will lose games they shouldn't, let's just hope that Miami doesn't fall under that category...

Well Indy and Baltimore both won today and they are as much our opponents right now as the Pats and Jets because they currently hold the two wild card spots. It is still possible for us to win the division, but the reality is that the way the Jets are playing, and with Baltimore and Indy both having found their form, it's not looking very good for us.

America is not the world.

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Nov 30, 2008, 07:18 PM

Well, all I know is that we're gonna be one game out of first in the AFC East. If we can win it, it doesn't matter one bit what Indy and Baltimore do.

femalefinfanfemalefinfanLuxury Box
Nov 30, 2008, 07:18 PM

"GridIronKing34 wrote:

At 7-5, it amazes me that people think that if we go 10-6 there is no way we'd get into the playoffs, even at 11-5.. some people think there's no way we'd go to the playoffs...

Let's face it, it's rare when a 10-6 team doesn't get into the playoffs, let alone a 11-5... Teams will lose games they shouldn't, let's just hope that Miami doesn't fall under that category...

A few years ago the fins went 10-6 and didn't make the playoffs.

GridIronKing34GridIronKing34Forum Veteran
Nov 30, 2008, 07:28 PM

"femalefinfan wrote:

A few years ago the fins went 10-6 and didn't make the playoffs.

You're right, but since 1990 we are one of three teams to miss the playoffs at 10-6. The other two were the Eagles and the 49ers in 1991.

There is only one team in the history of the NFL, I believe, that has missed the playoffs at 11-5... That would be the 1985 Denver Broncos.

I'm not saying it won't happen, I am saying that it's rare and likely won't.

I think if we can win our games, we will get in... It seems like people look too much into the playoffs right now and worry about the mathematical scheme too much...

HysterikiLLHysterikiLLNew Member
Nov 30, 2008, 07:29 PM

"resnor wrote:

Well, all I know is that we're gonna be one game out of first in the AFC East. If we can win it, it doesn't matter one bit what Indy and Baltimore do.

Technically, the Jets will have the tie-breaker as-is, so there's no point in us being tied with the Jets for the division at seasons end. We will probably have to be a game up on them outright. Over the Pats, we do have in our favor the fact that we still have two games to play in the division to their one. If the Jets crumble, and we win out, and the Pats win out, we'll have the tie-breaker over the Pats.

But as I see it, the Jets are still out in front in the division, by virtue of their tie-breaker advantage and one game lead. We can really only go out and play our best and hope to win every game. The rest is out of our hands.

I just have a murky feeling more and more that last weeks game will come back to haunt us. It was such an important game and we didn't deliver.

America is not the world.

wpgfishfanwpgfishfanNew Member
Nov 30, 2008, 07:34 PM

"FinsAreLife wrote:

Thanks, i would think that it would be very close in common games record between us

it will be exactly the same

we play 14 games the same

we lost to houston and baltimore
they lost to indy and pitt

so conference record will come into play

Well after 15 years Bettman lets hockey come back to Winnipeg. Thanks for wasting 15 years

anlgpanlgpNew Member
Nov 30, 2008, 07:34 PM

"femalefinfan wrote:

Things line up pretty nicley this week, huh?

With the exception of us losing Smiley for the year, yes.

"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl

HysterikiLLHysterikiLLNew Member
Nov 30, 2008, 07:37 PM

"GridIronKing34 wrote:

You're right, but since 1990 we are one of three teams to miss the playoffs at 10-6. The other two were the Eagles and the 49ers in 1991.

There is only one team in the history of the NFL, I believe, that has missed the playoffs at 11-5... That would be the 1985 Denver Broncos.

I'm not saying it won't happen, I am saying that it's rare and likely won't.

I think if we can win our games, we will get in... It seems like people look too much into the playoffs right now and worry about the mathematical scheme too much...

Actually, looking at things as they are, it is quite possible that at least one 10-6 team will miss the playoffs this season in the AFC. There are currently six teams (New York, New England, Miami, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Pittsburgh) in reach of ten win seasons, excluding Tennessee who have already made the cut. With a walk-in coming from the AFC West, that's seven teams fighting for five playoff spots. Assuming Tennesse is a given, lets say Pittsburh are a given as well - there are three teams outside of the division that would only need to go 2-2 over the last four games to get ten wins, and they would essentially be fighting for two wild card spots (and that's excluding the possibility of us and New England both finishing with ten wins also).

America is not the world.

wpgfishfanwpgfishfanNew Member
Nov 30, 2008, 07:42 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but if we win out we win the AFC east

we all finish 11-5

we would have the tie-breaker over the Pats based on conference record

8-4 for us
7-5 for new england

we have common opponets over jets

11-3 for us
10-4 for the jets

Well after 15 years Bettman lets hockey come back to Winnipeg. Thanks for wasting 15 years

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Nov 30, 2008, 07:43 PM

"HysterikiLL wrote:

Technically, the Jets will have the tie-breaker as-is, so there's no point in us being tied with the Jets for the division at seasons end. We will probably have to be a game up on them outright. Over the Pats, we do have in our favor the fact that we still have two games to play in the division to their one. If the Jets crumble, and we win out, and the Pats win out, we'll have the tie-breaker over the Pats.

But as I see it, the Jets are still out in front in the division, by virtue of their tie-breaker advantage and one game lead. We can really only go out and play our best and hope to win every game. The rest is out of our hands.

I just have a murky feeling more and more that last weeks game will come back to haunt us. It was such an important game and we didn't deliver.

Right. When I said "win it," I didn't mean that final game against the Jets, I meant, win the division.

However, even if we DON'T make the playoffs, the fact that we are 12 games through the season, and talking about winning the division, or missing the playoffs with a 10-6 record is AWESOME. After last season, I thought we'd be overachieving if we went 8-8 this year...

HysterikiLLHysterikiLLNew Member
Nov 30, 2008, 07:55 PM

"wpgfishfan wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but if we win out we win the AFC east

we all finish 11-5

we would have the tie-breaker over the Pats based on conference record

8-4 for us
7-5 for new england

we have common opponets over jets

11-3 for us
10-4 for the jets

You're right. I wasn't taking into account that not only would our winning out mean +2 for the division record, but also -1 for the Jets in division record, which means we'd have the tie-breaker on common opponents.

"resnor wrote:

Right. When I said "win it," I didn't mean that final game against the Jets, I meant, win the division.

However, even if we DON'T make the playoffs, the fact that we are 12 games through the season, and talking about winning the division, or missing the playoffs with a 10-6 record is AWESOME. After last season, I thought we'd be overachieving if we went 8-8 this year...

Amen to that bro. It's amazing how quick we can forget things when we win games, but after the last 10 years, it's great to finally feel like we have our footing again. I'm so excited about the future.

:hi5:

America is not the world.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Nov 30, 2008, 07:55 PM

"anlgp wrote:

With the exception of us losing Smiley for the year, yes.

Maybe heresy anlgp, but it's not like our Oline has been doing a good job for about two months now anyway, we could (and that is "could") be better off having a different player at Guard.

SamphinSamphinNew Member
Nov 30, 2008, 09:06 PM

"GridIronKing34 wrote:

At 7-5, it amazes me that people think that if we go 10-6 there is no way we'd get into the playoffs, even at 11-5.. some people think there's no way we'd go to the playoffs...

Let's face it, it's rare when a 10-6 team doesn't get into the playoffs, let alone a 11-5... Teams will lose games they shouldn't, let's just hope that Miami doesn't fall under that category...

Who said that if we get 11 wins that there is NO WAY we get into the playoffs? I don't think anyone has said that. ME thinks you are taking what I, and others have said out of context.

As it stands right now, Miami does not control its own fate in the Wildcard race. The Colts and Ravens both have a game on us and Baltimore, essentially has two on us after beating us this year.

Indy's schedule is fairly easy going forward (Cin, Det, @Jax, Ten). 3 of their final 4 games are at home and a week 17 matchup against a Tennessee team that will have nothing to play for, probably means their starters are resting.

Baltimore, on the other hand, has a BRUTAL schedule (Wash, Pit, @Dal, Jax). 3 of 4 at home and most of those against the other conference, but a tough road ahead.

Essentially, in order to surpass them and get in, we will need them to lose two games while we win out. If we lose a game, we need them to lose three. So you can see, that the teams in front of us, essentially need to lose a game or two in order for us to get past them and into the playoffs. Even if we DO go 11-5.

And that doesn't even take into account New England (@Sea, @Oak, Ari, @Buffalo) and their somewhat easy schedule. I am not sure where we stand with them if they win out and we do too. We would have identical w-l records as well as identical divisional records. They would have one more loss in the conference (5 opposed to our 4), but not sure if that, or another tiebreaker comes into effect at that point.

The point is, a lot of work has to happen in order for us to get a wildcard spot, even if we did win out. It is almost easier for the divisional crown at this point.

SamphinSamphinNew Member
Nov 30, 2008, 09:09 PM

"GridIronKing34 wrote:

You're right, but since 1990 we are one of three teams to miss the playoffs at 10-6. The other two were the Eagles and the 49ers in 1991.
There is only one team in the history of the NFL, I believe, that has missed the playoffs at 11-5... That would be the 1985 Denver Broncos.

I'm not saying it won't happen, I am saying that it's rare and likely won't.

I think if we can win our games, we will get in... It seems like people look too much into the playoffs right now and worry about the mathematical scheme too much...

Not true, Cleveland went 10-6 last year and failed to make the playoffs and the Kansas City Chiefs did it in 2005 as well. That was the offseason that the Chiefs owner made a big stink about adding another team to the playoff structure. It will be even more common, for lack of a better term, with the way the divisions are set up now than in the past. With only two wildcard spots up for grabs, it is bound to be less of a rarity, and I think it may happen this season.

edit: Case in point, the 2001 seaosn was the last one in which there were three divisional champs and three wildcards. The Jets got in with a 10-6 record as a Wildcard team. Had the divisions been the way they are right now, The Jets would NOT have gotten in, and Tennessee would have at 7-9 which would have been good enough to win the AFC South (again assuming everything else is the same)

GridIronKing34GridIronKing34Forum Veteran
Nov 30, 2008, 11:04 PM

"Samphin wrote:

Not true, Cleveland went 10-6 last year and failed to make the playoffs and the Kansas City Chiefs did it in 2005 as well. That was the offseason that the Chiefs owner made a big stink about adding another team to the playoff structure. It will be even more common, for lack of a better term, with the way the divisions are set up now than in the past. With only two wildcard spots up for grabs, it is bound to be less of a rarity, and I think it may happen this season.

edit: Case in point, the 2001 seaosn was the last one in which there were three divisional champs and three wildcards. The Jets got in with a 10-6 record as a Wildcard team. Had the divisions been the way they are right now, The Jets would NOT have gotten in, and Tennessee would have at 7-9 which would have been good enough to win the AFC South (again assuming everything else is the same)

I got my information from an ESPN article, likely dated to 2005... If I remember correctly, it spoke about how the Chiefs may not get in the playoffs, but it mentioned how Carl Peterson suggested a 14 team playoff, which makes no sense because you'd think they'd include Kansas City on that list of 10-6 teams, but meh... Doesn't really matter...

I've seen posts saying that 10-6 probably won't be enough... I've even seen posts saying that 11-5 might not be enough. You can't tell me that there are not a lot of knee jerk reactions around here... I still believe that if Miami just wins their games, they won't have to worry about anything.

SamphinSamphinNew Member
Dec 1, 2008, 01:24 AM

"GridIronKing34 wrote:

I got my information from an ESPN article, likely dated to 2005... If I remember correctly, it spoke about how the Chiefs may not get in the playoffs, but it mentioned how Carl Peterson suggested a 14 team playoff, which makes no sense because you'd think they'd include Kansas City on that list of 10-6 teams, but meh... Doesn't really matter...

I've seen posts saying that 10-6 probably won't be enough... I've even seen posts saying that 11-5 might not be enough. You can't tell me that there are not a lot of knee jerk reactions around here... I still believe that if Miami just wins their games, they won't have to worry about anything.

Its true, if Miami wins out, they win the division, but that is ONLY true as of the late games where both New York AND New England lost. Had either of them one, we would be in an even worse spot tha we are now. As it stands now, winning out could give us the title based off of tie breakers (assuming that both New York and New England win their remaining games except the seaosn finale against us).

But if we lose (which is still very possible) and go 10-6, it is quite possible that we will be on the outside looking in. As I said, Baltimore needs to lose two games more than us and Indy has at least a game on us right now as well (without looking at tie break scenarios, it could be essentially two games).

That is why last week's game was so big for us and New England. Whoever won that game had control of their destiny going forward. If it weren't for huge efforts from Denver and Pittsburgh, we would be at the mercy of other people helping us out.

And we will be again if we go 10-6.