1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tied for 2nd?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by resnor, Nov 30, 2008.

Tags:
  1. HysterikiLL

HysterikiLL Member

Nov 26, 2007
    You're right. I wasn't taking into account that not only would our winning out mean +2 for the division record, but also -1 for the Jets in division record, which means we'd have the tie-breaker on common opponents.

Amen to that bro. It's amazing how quick we can forget things when we win games, but after the last 10 years, it's great to finally feel like we have our footing again. I'm so excited about the future.

:hi5:

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Maybe heresy anlgp, but it's not like our Oline has been doing a good job for about two months now anyway, we could (and that is "could") be better off having a different player at Guard.

3. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Who said that if we get 11 wins that there is NO WAY we get into the playoffs? I don't think anyone has said that. ME thinks you are taking what I, and others have said out of context.

As it stands right now, Miami does not control its own fate in the Wildcard race. The Colts and Ravens both have a game on us and Baltimore, essentially has two on us after beating us this year.

Indy's schedule is fairly easy going forward (Cin, Det, @Jax, Ten). 3 of their final 4 games are at home and a week 17 matchup against a Tennessee team that will have nothing to play for, probably means their starters are resting.

Baltimore, on the other hand, has a BRUTAL schedule (Wash, Pit, @Dal, Jax). 3 of 4 at home and most of those against the other conference, but a tough road ahead.

Essentially, in order to surpass them and get in, we will need them to lose two games while we win out. If we lose a game, we need them to lose three. So you can see, that the teams in front of us, essentially need to lose a game or two in order for us to get past them and into the playoffs. Even if we DO go 11-5.

And that doesn't even take into account New England (@Sea, @Oak, Ari, @Buffalo) and their somewhat easy schedule. I am not sure where we stand with them if they win out and we do too. We would have identical w-l records as well as identical divisional records. They would have one more loss in the conference (5 opposed to our 4), but not sure if that, or another tiebreaker comes into effect at that point.

The point is, a lot of work has to happen in order for us to get a wildcard spot, even if we did win out. It is almost easier for the divisional crown at this point.

4. Samphin

Not true, Cleveland went 10-6 last year and failed to make the playoffs and the Kansas City Chiefs did it in 2005 as well. That was the offseason that the Chiefs owner made a big stink about adding another team to the playoff structure. It will be even more common, for lack of a better term, with the way the divisions are set up now than in the past. With only two wildcard spots up for grabs, it is bound to be less of a rarity, and I think it may happen this season.

edit: Case in point, the 2001 seaosn was the last one in which there were three divisional champs and three wildcards. The Jets got in with a 10-6 record as a Wildcard team. Had the divisions been the way they are right now, The Jets would NOT have gotten in, and Tennessee would have at 7-9 which would have been good enough to win the AFC South (again assuming everything else is the same)

5. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I got my information from an ESPN article, likely dated to 2005... If I remember correctly, it spoke about how the Chiefs may not get in the playoffs, but it mentioned how Carl Peterson suggested a 14 team playoff, which makes no sense because you'd think they'd include Kansas City on that list of 10-6 teams, but meh... Doesn't really matter...

I've seen posts saying that 10-6 probably won't be enough... I've even seen posts saying that 11-5 might not be enough. You can't tell me that there are not a lot of knee jerk reactions around here... I still believe that if Miami just wins their games, they won't have to worry about anything.

6. Samphin

Its true, if Miami wins out, they win the division, but that is ONLY true as of the late games where both New York AND New England lost. Had either of them one, we would be in an even worse spot tha we are now. As it stands now, winning out could give us the title based off of tie breakers (assuming that both New York and New England win their remaining games except the seaosn finale against us).

But if we lose (which is still very possible) and go 10-6, it is quite possible that we will be on the outside looking in. As I said, Baltimore needs to lose two games more than us and Indy has at least a game on us right now as well (without looking at tie break scenarios, it could be essentially two games).

That is why last week's game was so big for us and New England. Whoever won that game had control of their destiny going forward. If it weren't for huge efforts from Denver and Pittsburgh, we would be at the mercy of other people helping us out.

And we will be again if we go 10-6.