1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for some of these guys to take a look in the mirror during the bye week

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NyPhinfan, Oct 6, 2013.

1. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    Beyond the obvious culprits on the offensive line....my list starts with 3 people

Reshard Jones--take away that gift of gifts INT for a TD today and he has been downright dreadful. Both in his run defense and pass defense. I don't know if it's a scheme thing or what, but the drop off has been off a cliff

Lamar Miller--granted some of it comes from the poor play from the O-Line but he has been dreadful in so many areas. Most noticeably in converting 3rd downs and being decisive when running the ball. Needs to run smarter in down and distance and put your damn foot in the ground and cut it up field.

Mike Sherman--easiest thing to do is rip the OFF Coordinator but man he has me muttering to myself at times. We don't believe in a fullback and don't have any plays or answers on short yardage..none. We just throw the ball. We run wide on 3rd and shorts and throw slants that have to be perfect to get 2 yards. Time to adjust and get the Offense all on the same page

I know there are a lot of others

2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Clabo and Jerry shouldn't start against buffalo IMO. IDK what you do, but they're just awful. Watkins, Garner, Thomas, Yeatmon...come on down. somebody. How much worse can they be. Seriously.

3. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think the entire coaching staff needs a collective look in the mirror. Other than the Browns game, this team hasn't played well in all 3 phases in any game since. I'd say that in particular, Mike Sherman and Kevin Coyle need to do a much better job of putting guys into position to make plays. Usually when teams are bad, it's poor execution, but with this year's team it's guys executing poorly schemed plays. Jim Turner also needs a serious fire lit under him as well.

All of these issues start with Joe Philbin though. And I think this bye week needs to be akin to Nick Saban's "Come to Jesus" speech from 2005 when they lost to Cleveland to fall to 3-7. Miami didn't lose the rest of that season.

The O-Line also needs a major influx of talent...but I don't know what you're really going to add to it at this juncture.

4. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Chances are they are a lot worse, or they'd be getting playing time.

brandon27 likes this.
  5. finacrossthepond

finacrossthepond New Member

Oct 6, 2013
    I feel it all starts with the run & Miller, Thomas & the OL have so much improving to do. It's not rocket science, is it? Establish a run game which opens up the play action thus giving Tannehill more time to execute the pass as the D rush ain't coming as quickly. That said we've all pretty much known that our OL & running backs we're a REAL BIG ISSUE since training camp so what's gonna change in the next fortnight before Buffalo to suddenly turn it all around. Well I guess the answers will make themselves known on game day. Personally I'm not giving up on the season yet, why would you after five weeks we clearly are a better team but we need better execution in all phases or we ain't gonna party in the playoffs.

6. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    The offensive line is an issue. There's not doubt that the coaching staff is going to look there first for shuffling. Tyson Clabo & John Jerry may be shuffled out or around.

Reshad Jones has been tough. He just hasn't been as good. The TD was really the result of Dion Jordan making a phenomenal play. If Jones caused turnovers, then I'd take the bad with the good. However, he hasn't done it this year. But, he isn't the biggest liability.

These guys all need to upgraded or coaching needs to make adjustments in light of the shortcomings:
    Tyson Clabo, John Jerry, Jon Martin, Phillip Wheeler, Dannell Ellerbe, Mike Wallace, Daniel Thomas & Lamar Miller.

For me, they do a poor job of getting Lamar Miller going or running plays that can benefit him. That's on Sherman. I'm not so sure that Lamar Miller couldn't go to a team like, say Carolina, and be a stud. There are so many teams he could go to and just be a really solid player I believe.

7. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    That about sums it up. At least in the coaches eyes apparently that's the case.

I love all these threads today about cutting our starters on OL... but nobody... NOBODY is answering the question of who you replace them with? I dont mean the easy answer of "the backup... yeatman, watkins etc"... to me that's not the real answer. Watkins was a first round pick, cut by the Eagles for poor play, and attitude apparently. Garner isnt anything special, we've seen him alot already. Yeatman wasnt that spectacular in preseason against 2nd, and 3rd stringers. So... there really is nothing we can do. That's my greatest fear. It is what it is we chose not to address it in the offseason, and now we're paying the price.