1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time held onto the ball

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Brasfin, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I was rewatching the Chargers game just now and did a quick (very unscientific) study of how long it took for Tannehill to throw the ball.. got to about the end of the first half and here are the numbers I came up with:

It took him on average 2.44 seconds per play to throw the ball
    if you take out the outliers (scrambles to buy time, etc), it takes him about 2.13 seconds

I'm not familiar with these numbers and whether they are at, below, or above average among all QB's, but they seem pretty low to me...
    If he keeps getting the ball out like this I think we can effectively neutralize (or at least contain) the Lions defensive line.

Anyone out there who knows more about this that can chime in?

Tone_E and SICK like this.
  2. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    That is absolutely below average in the NFL but where it needs to be to run Lazor's offense as designed IMO. Anything under 2.5 seconds is considered quick.

Thanks for the work.

Brasfin likes this.
  3. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Finished the rest of the game.. he ended up averaging 2.79 seconds overall, but if you take out the outliers, it is still a very low 2.22 seconds.

After they were up by a lot and realized the Chargers DL wasn't pressuring Tannehill as much, they dialed up some longer developing plays. Tannehill also felt more comfortable in the pocket, thus taking some chances by extending more plays, which led to the higher overall average.
    Against the Lions, he probably won't have the luxury of taking much longer than 2.5 seconds to throw the ball, but the numbers suggest that it shouldn't be much of a problem. I don't know the Lions much, but their secondary isn't as good as their DL...