1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to "Fan Up"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The Hurricanes had 38,000 fans in a 74,000 capacity stadium this week, a week after a game that gave the program tremendous hope and energy. Pathetic.

It's time for those of us on the fence to step it up and start supporting the franchise, our rookie QB and the new attitude that Philbin and CO are bringing. We are an exciting, if not flawed team that is on the upswing.

I'll be going to the remaining home games and will wear my gear proud. This team is on the precipice of turning the franchise around. Time to get off our asses and stand with it as it is being grown. I came in to the season as down on the franchise as I've ever been, but I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel. This season will be painful. Losses like the last two may define this entire season. But one day we will look back at 2012 as the start of a new, successful era in Miami history. I don't want to be on the sidelines for that.

the 23rd, djphinfan and Alex13 like this.
  2. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    If tanny keeps playing like that, it'll put some fans in the seats.

DolfanTom likes this.
  3. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    It's more than him though. These guys are laying it all out on the field. They are buying in to Philbin. Once we either acquire or draft talent to improve our areas of weakness, I'm fairly confident we'll be a playoff contendor as early as next year.

DolfanTom likes this.
  4. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I live a good 3.5-4 hours drive away and with two kids both active in sports that play on the weekends in the fall, I can't just take a whole Sunday off 8 weeks out of 17. I used to go to a bunch of games until swim team and competitive league soccer came along...

Fin D likes this.
  5. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    :) Not calling anyone out, I'm talking about people like myself (that live 20 minutes, not 3 hours away) that didn't renew and went in to week one of this season seriously considering skipping out on games.. In fact I probably watched only half of the Texans game.

djphinfan likes this.
  6. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL

I'm agreeing with you -- but what i'm saying is how todays NFL works. fans attracted to the popularity contest with razzle dazzle and things. Consistant high end or elite QB play will fill up those stands quicker than anything else. (wins are nice too though.)

7. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    I would love to, but I'm one of those true Dolphin-Nation fans who lives in Saratoga Springs, NY. I'll get down there next year for sure, though - dolllars are kinda tight this year for such a luxury. I will be supporting them - most likely - in Foxboro later this year. Can't do my usual Buffalo trek as I'm outta town for work. Maybe the 10/28 Jets game, though!

On to the Hurricanes, was watching that game Saturday, and WOW - Wow to the lack of fans, and Wow, what a ballgame. Seems to me, even when the Canes were great at the OB, that place seemed 1/3 empty when playing teams not from Florida. Question to SoFla fans: Has there ever been any effort for the Canes to build their own stadium closer to campus? Maybe something cozy and loud in the 55,000-seat range? I would think the University has the cash, or could raise it if it made an effort? Is there room on campus, like the one at Ohio State? I would think they'd pack the place on most occasions, and would make for a nice homey atmosphere. And if they didn't sell out, it wouldn't look as absurd as it did on Saturday.

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know if this message is going to resonate with the crowd when the team is 1-3, however small the margins of loss have generally been. Just sayin. And before you lecture me yes I did make the 8 or 9 hour total trek to and from the stadium for the Oakland game so I am doing "my part" in my eyes. I'm just saying.

Bumrush likes this.
  9. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    As for you SoFla fans, if you have the money (I can't stress this enough, as I can understand it if you are jobless, or can't spare the extra dollars), and are not working on Sunday, how can you not go and support this team now? We have a stud young QB who is just scratching the surface with what he can do. And the team (flawed as it is) plays balls out to the very end. They give you an A effort is what I'm saying.

I understand the Fireland stuff, and not wanting to line Ross' pockets until he proves he knows what he's doing - I get that, I really do - BUT, the product on the field this year, despite the 1-3 record has been fairly exciting, and yesterday gave us a look into the Tannehill future. That alone is worth the price of admission. And the seats are fairly cheap by NFL standards.

So if you have the financial means, and the free time - GO!!! By all means Go and support this team! My Lord Jesus, if I lived down there, my family of four would have season-tix, and a mini-van devoted to tailgating. Damn, if only.

djphinfan and Bumrush like this.
  10. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    If you live that far away, making it to even one game is admirable!

11. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Again, I'm mostly talking about people like myself that live close to the stadium and swore off the season and going to the games.. Almost everyone I know is in that boat, which is reflected in attendance, both for the Phins and the Canes..

djphinfan likes this.
  12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Just to give some color to this, between tickets and parking, tailgating, expenses at the game, etc...you're not getting away with under $100 nowadays. For those of us traveling and adding gas expense, that's closer to $150 each person. Bringing your family to these things will cost you as much as a new (albeit somewhat crappy) computer...just to put it in perspective.

I don't like how the NFL is squeezing the common fan essentially out of the picture by making the entire experience cost so much. They lament attendance trends but they're doing it to themselves. When I see empty seats in the stadium, I fully understand why.

Gunner, Fin D and DolfanTom like this.
  13. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Yep, I understand. It's not a cheap proposition by any means. Outside of our flights and hotel two years ago (one flight free, both rooms free thanks to rewards), my Dolphins-Browns experience cost $72/ticket ($144), I bought a parking pass for $25 off of eBay, and we spent a good $70 on food/beer. So you're talking about $240. Add in our two kids, and it's going to be at least another $160, for $400. Yeah, that's a lot, I can't lie. There are ways to cut the cost, of course, especially for season-tix, but I get it, I do.

If people don't have the funds, and many many people don't right now, I get it (been there, done that). That's why it's cool that Ross at least finds a way to get these games on local TV, so you can still enjoy the games down there until the situation changes.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    hope that more people are thinking like you.

Players that play hard in our uniform, deserve respect.

I hope the fans who stayed away on purpose, have proven their point enough.hope it was worth it.

We have a new coach who Deserves an equal platform, and a New Rookie Qb who deserves some patience.

OB2..Make it happen.

15. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    The reality is the Hurricanes don't need a 74,000-seat stadium 25 miles away from campus. They need something much smaller and much closer. OT: I'd be shocked if there were actually 38K AIS. Looked more like 20.

Same goes for the Dolphins. A 60-65K stadium capacity -- with non-orange seats -- would be much better suited. I also think in today's era of high definition telecasts vs high ticket/parking/concession prices in a brutal economy, having the fans exposed to the brutal heat does have an effect.

But to the meat of the post, good for you. Really nice to see this. The first step is being competitive. The next is having that franchise QB. It looks like the Dolphins are have both. If they win at Cincy (especially if Ryan plays well), we could have a nice crowd for the Fisher Bowl. Could be the first of many.

16. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Best way to look for tickets is on stubhub. Can find the cheapest seats on there.

17. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    All of this is true. From everything I've heard it was 20 degrees hotter than hell at the stadium on Saturday. That doesn't help. Then you have the fact that Miami is a small private school that doesn't have the alumni numbers that other schools have. And then there's just the fact that both Miami teams have sucked for the longest time. So until Miami stops sucking, it's pretty ridiculous to ask fans to spend hundreds of dollars to go sit in brutal heat to watch a bad product.

18. caneaddict

caneaddict Season Ticket Holder

Dec 4, 2007
    I was out at the Canes game on Saturday and there's no way it was more than 20,000. But honestly, I don't blame fans. I'm an adult - sat midfield lower level, noon game. I don't care what product you put on that field, i won't be back for a noon or 1:00 game unless it's club seats covered by shade. I love the Phins/Canes and have plenty of disposable income yet I'd rather cheer my butt off in front of my 80" LCD with friends. Night game is a whole different story.

19. caneaddict

caneaddict Season Ticket Holder

Dec 4, 2007
    20 degrees hotter than hell is being kind. It was a tight game that should have been exciting yet the inside of the stadium with TV monitors was often more full than the actual outside seats, most people just couldn't take the heat. People were basically taking showers in the bathroom sinks soaking themselves to cool off. In our section 114 the concessions ran out of bottled water by the 3rd quarter.

20. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I live in DC. I still have season tickets, but just give them away. Even if I lived in SOFLA I probably wouldn't attend. Much more enjoyable watching 13 afternoon games all day in the comfort of my home.

21. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    tanny is danny with legs & without the attitude