1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to settle the "fair-weather" fans debate

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PMZQ, Sep 15, 2008.

1. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    The Dolphins have lost 20 of their last 21 games, are going through a rebuilding of monumental proportions from the ground up. If you have sat through this so far, and are still motivated to post on any of the Dolphins message boards, you are a TRUE DOLFAN.

No one has the right to call out anyone elses loyalty to the Dolphins at this point. If you are sick today, and complain on the board, no matter what it is, its not because you don't care, its because you do really care too much maybe.

So for all of those that complain about threads to "fire this coach" or "cut this player", or "Penny this or Henne that", remember one thing before getting snide and hurtful in your comments. WE ARE ALL DOLFANS IF WE ARE STILL HERE.

:tantrum:

2. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Listen, I'll have one one piece of Dolphin gear on 75% of the time Im in casual clothes. I wear my jersyes with PRIDE in the bars, taking in comments meant and not meant for me personally insulting the Phins on a regular basis.

It only makes me smile, because I've realized more and more during the last few seasons how good it feels to remain loyal to a team, NO MATTER WHAT.

So, if I hypothetically say fire Sparano, I should not be called a fair-weather fan. This is the wrong board for that, and I don't think you will see much of it anyway.

3. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    This feels like an AA meeting. "I'm Opie and I'm a Finfan."

"Hi Opie."

gunn34, HULKFish, baboo72 and 8 others like this.
  4. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    :sidelol: actually this place is like that for DolFans :sidelol:

5. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Great post. Whoever gave it one star should be ashamed of themself.

6. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    As Mods, we see who gives them 1 stars, and its the same people all the time. AND WE KNOW WHO THEY ARE!!!!:shifty:

7. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Oh I expect that....there are a number of factors that go into that and it doesn't bother me. NJ who was it that did that or is that a "state secret" ? :lol:

8. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

State Secret! :up:

9. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Its great to be so loved :wink2:

10. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    I'm mainly a reader (yes too lazy to log in and also a big time GoalLineBlitz player so I am always running my mouth on those forums - for those of you who play you know me as Pariah) so I haven't posted in months, but me and my friends who have continually watched every game through thick and thin, always talk about "real fans."

And I agree with the OP, some of us "real fans" want people fired every week, some of us stay quiet, and some of us (like me) are sadly optomistic and hopefull even when there isn't a reason to be.

But as stated, just simply being involved - repping your team, taking the jabs at the bar, or walking into a convenience store wearing a throwback Marino - week in and week out, That is what makes you a "real fan."

Just though I would share my .02. Now I will crawl back in my hole and be lazy, not log in and just read everyone's wonderfully insightful posts :p

HULKFish and opfinistic like this.
  11. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Anyone who has stuck by the Dolphins through the 3 ring circus thats happened here in recent years has earned the right to gripe. I try not to be too negative because negativity breeds negativity and there is always hope, but I understand why people feel that way.
    I love the Dolphins and I love this board and everyone on it. It gives us all a venue to interact about the Phins and to release frustraitions and Lord knows we have had plenty of reasons for anger and frustraitions over the years.
    It certainly is better than replacing remote controls and TVs and occasionally wives. :shifty: :lol:

baboo72, PMZQ, djphinfan and 2 others like this.
  12. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico New Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Perfectly stated!

Can we save the true fans vs fake fans arguments for the other site? It gets old quick, which is yet another reason this site rules.

Onehondo, PMZQ and like2god like this.
  13. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Anyone who watched all 4 quarters of the Cardinals game is a true fan. I had to self-medicate, but I watched all 4 quarters in a bar where the owner hates me, cause I talked too much smack about the Denver Broncos!

PMZQ and Rick 1966 like this.
  14. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm the same way...constantly wearing my Dolphins gear with pride. Funny though, I've never gotten more comments wearing my Dolphins gear than I have the last 2 years. But I'm an extremely proud fan and that will never change.

15. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    not only did I watch the whole game, I actually stood up when Henne came in for that drive.

16. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    There's never been a time when I gave up, or turned on the team. I've loved them for so long, their just a part of me.
    I wear my T's, Jerseys, sweats, socks and my Dolphin reboks proudly.
    I live around a a bunch of "so-called" Falcon fans. I don't think many of them are loyal at all.
    I've seen players come and go. Some moves I liked, some I hated, :cry: but I still never gave up.
    So, I say, Go Dolphins always:up:!!!!!!

like2god and PMZQ like this.
  17. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Sweet Debby no one would ever question you and your loyalty kiddo. You are definately like me a DolFan for life ! :wink2:

dolphindebby likes this.
  18. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    lol I named my son zachary thomas cullen.......

I'm not leaving this team any time soon :lol:

19. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    :knucks:

20. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    He does play for the 'boys, that's your "out" if you want it. Then you just need to name your daughter Terrell. :shifty:

:wink2:

21. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'll never stop loving this team no matter how bad they are. Infact, I'll be at this Sunday's game AT New England. I have lower end zone seats so I'll be surrounded by Patsie fans.

Im debating whether or not to bring a sign that says 18-1* or 'Bring in Brady' with a pic of him getting his knee torn to shreds... I may post a poll later with other options and let the fans on THEPHINS decide.

PMZQ likes this.
  22. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    how about this

they will murder you with "pennington weak arm" disses all day......so come prepared......

a sign with chad on it with "limp-noodle" above him....

then a big pic of brady with "limp-ing" above him.......

also start some "we want pollard chants"

HULKFish and HardKoreXXX like this.
  23. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think the problem is that since there are "aqua-colored glasses" fans and then there are some try to be a little more realistic...I am disgusted by the product I see on the field right now. That said, I continue to follow and support the team. That doesn't mean that I won't or don't criticize...I certainly do...that can be construed by some as fair weather, but I don't see it that way at all.

On a side note, how tough was that Jests-Pats game....I don't know who I hate more and couldn't decide if I wanted Brat Favre and crew to beat them or not ???

PMZQ likes this.
  24. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    My other choice for a sign since the game will be on CBS:

Can
    Brady
    Ski?

And a pic of him on ski's with one leg messed up or something.

25. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    oh i was pulling for the pats all the way, not afraid to admit that. for as much as i hate them, i abhor the jets. for many reasons beyond our old rivalry, 2 of my good friends are jets fans who proclaimed the division was theirs, the bar i go to is full of jets fans, and plus, we know the pats are a good team, they've been good and still are good, can't deny that. I just like to see all the analysts eating crow when King Favre isn't leading the jets to the super bowl. you notice there has been very little favre discussion now? because they all feel like fools. The jets barely beat the fins and lose to a bradyless pats, they aren't SB contenders they're on pace for 3rd in the division.. again.

more on topic, yes, everyone that posts and reads here still cares. none of us are fairweather fans, as we are all still watching and caring. the announcers for the St. Louis/Giants game yesterday (Joe buck I believe) made a comment that sickened me. In the 4th quarter when the Rams started making a comeback and were driving hard, the stadium naturally became noticeably louder. The announcer goes "man talk about fairweather fans, they're quiet the whole game and then get loud only now"-- umm.. they're not fairweather fans if they're still paying to fill the stadium to see a horrendous Rams team!! ANY team's fans would get louder on a drive like that. Foolish, foolish comment if you ask me.

26. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    This thread reminds me of how I want punch everyone in the face who acts like I should hide the fact that the Dolphins are my favorite team. It's always a bunch of idiot bandwagoners too. Like they have something to do with the team's success. Of course they don't, because they're idiots. I never hear stuff like that from a Lions or Bengals fan or some of the local Falcons fans here. I at least have some respect for those guys.

PMZQ likes this.
  27. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I agree. There is no reason why anyone on this board should be questioning another posters "fanhood" when they are making comments about this team. Ok, maybe theres the odd time when people are way over the top negative... but even then, all they really need to do is relax, let the frustration wear off.

Our team, our on the field product is pretty bad right now. It was last year too. Were all fans. Some of us can sit back, enjoy this team for what it is, and know that we are getting better, and we are going to get better with the right people in place like we have now, and that its just going to take time. They love the team, and understand it, and cant wait for the wins to start rolling in again.

Others have a different view, some of us here see whats going on, and its frustrating to no end. They deal with it by venting. Which is usually done by making posts with negative attitudes towards players and teams because they are such fans of this team, that they cant take the loosing, and sloppy play. They love the team, it frustrates them to watch the dismal performances, but you know what? They also can't wait till the wins start rolling in again...

In our heads we all have a common goal for this team. to WIN. Just because we all handle it differently doesnt mean any one of us is more, or less of a fan than any other. Were all in this together. We shall all celebrate this team together when its time also!

28. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I hear you on that. In school or online, we talk football and its a bunch of guys who don't know one thing about football. I tell them that I'm a Dolphins fan and they go "LolZ! DoLpHiNz SuX!". I ask them and they say Patriots. I'm like since 2001 eh?

29. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I named mine Daniel Lawrence, after Dan Marino and Larry Csonka. :pointlol:

PMZQ and dolphindebby like this.
  30. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I have been a Dolphin's fan since 1971 (when I was five years old) and first started watching football. I have never been a fan of any other team. I have lived in Colorado the last 30 years and have never supported the Donkey or any other team like I have with Miami. We went from a team that consistently won every year to an organization that hit rock bottom last year. I know things won't turn around over night, but you hope to at least see some progress. Only time will tell if Parcells will be able to fix things, but in the mean time we are probably going to take our lumps like we did yesterday against Arizona. I am not jumping off the ship, and will always support the Phins, I just would like to see the team improve a little and move in the right direction.

31. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I love you guys man

32. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I believe its about being respectful of your team while you critisize, theres a few folks that critisize without any respect and that is just wrong and does have consequences towards our players and fanbase.

33. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Timely post.
    I would suggest "good" post, but somehow I just can't bring myself to associate anything good with any post that states losing 20 of our last 21 games.

I would agree that the herd has long been trimmed of its weak, and wavering hopeful, and that the pride thats felt, supporting this team through its rebirth is only being realized by the truly devout, and those who's allegiance runs independant of what the team itself has generated from week to week, or even season to season.

But I also think that here, particularly through these difficult times, the belief has to be upheld, supported, and if need be defended. I view this forum as a sanctuary of hope, and while it should never be ignorant of the truth, nor any effort to distinguish the truth, many are here in pursuit of nothing more. As such, those who may be temporarily disgruntled, or emotional, simply expressing frustrations, should thus remain both respectful, and cognizent in the understanding that doing so, will often run contrary to what many of those members are here for.

34. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i realize i'm several pages late, but PMZQ..... post of the year dude. :up:

i'm very sour on the fins right now, but i'm not a fair-weather fan. if i was, i wouldn't be paying $400+ for the sunday ticket, wouldn't be paying $80+ annually to thephins.com in fees & donations, and wouldn't have purchased my fatheads, jerseys, logo remote, car flags, magnets, etc.... we're ALL fans if we're on here.

if the team performs poorly, we're allowed to voice our displeasure. nothing wrong with that.

PMZQ.... :knucks: :hi5:

PMZQ likes this.
  35. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    hardcore, just buy the bernard pollard fan club tee shirt and sport it to the pats game. might get you shot though

36. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    lmao the 18-1* is a little old, go with something about brady thats fresh and still real offensive to patsies fans

37. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    How about:

"At lease Charlie Weiss didn't scream like a girl"

38. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Aqua the day we win the Super Bowl I will cry, and will do so unabashedly. I don't care if someone says it isn't "manly", screw them, I care for the Dolphins like family and I will cry proudly.

Anyone else with me ? :up:

39. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Funny and painful at the same time.:lol:

40. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I hear you loud and clear brother, and that was my point, if you have stuck with them this far, you give yourself a little pat on the back, because you are a tried and true DolFan to be here in the darkest days of the franchise.

It was difficult, but as much as I hate the Pasties, I still hate those stinkin', rotten, nasty Jests more :wink2: