Tipping at restaurants?!?!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Crappy Tipper, Oct 22, 2008.

1. TokyoFishFan

TokyoFishFan New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Tokyo!
    :shifty:It's all about being serviced.:shifty::shifty::shifty:

SICK likes this.
  2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    you sir....deserve a medal....

3. TokyoFishFan

TokyoFishFan New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Tokyo!
    Thanks. AF already gave me a few. Nothing like those the guys in the desert get though. I am/was just a support guy in the background.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

SICK likes this.
  4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Tokyo what meal is your avatar?

5. TokyoFishFan

TokyoFishFan New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Tokyo!
    Gyoza! The photo was taken at a local restaurant in Tachikawa that makes great gyoza.

And yes, I ate them all.

EDIT:

And didn't leave a tip ( cause ya just don't do that here)

anlgp and SICK like this.
  6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    what IS gyoza?

7. anlgp

Gyoza

This sounds good.

8. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Ever seen the movie 'Oldboy'? You wont eat dumplings ever again...

Samphin likes this.
  9. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Or play with hammers...

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  10. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I didn't know my dad was a member here as well :lol: I've seen the penny thing from him a dozen times.

never hit two hammers together it can hurt you. Lesson #105

11. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I'll usually tip 15%, I have never left below 10% for bad service but have walked out after being seated and not seeing a waiter for 15 min.

off topic, one area where I hate tipping is when I get my hair cut. I'll usually leave $2 but it makes me angry every time. They work for 15 minutes and then I owe $20???

12. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I tip my barber like crazy. I think it equates to a 66% tip from me. I simply can't not tip the lady who holds a sharp object at my head...

13. anlgp

I'll come hold a sharp object to your head for money :D

14. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    i leave 20% usually... they gotta really **** up for me to leave less...

giving a tip is an expense of going out to eat... dont go out to eat if you only want to give someone 5 bucks on a $60 order... its just being cheap...

sure there is no law or set rule, its just a societal understanding... but hey, it is a free country so you can do whatever you want... you can go out to eat and tip 5%, you can make rude and obnoxious comments in public, you can raise your children to be hooligans and jerks, you can teach your dog to attack people, you can do a lot of things in this country where rules or laws aren't in place... sometimes though morality and decency come into play... thats how i see it

if you really cant afford it, then dont go out to eat...

Boik14 likes this.
  15. anlgp

Or move to japan :D

16. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Not basing your tip on the price of the meal screws over the wait staff. The 15% standard tip is included in the price of your meal. It's considered part of the staff's compensation. If it wasn't then the restaurant would be required to at least meet minimum wage and the cost of your meal would go up. In fact, some restaurants add it to your bill regardless of party size. The IRS assume that the waiter makes 10% of their total sales and taxes them on that standard. It's 10% and not 15% b/c they recognize that they must pay out to bus boys and hostesses, etc. So I agree with your wife on this one.

17. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008

I'll just address this to both of the above.

1 -f**k affording it, that's not the issue at all.
    2 - The staff isn't on my payroll, they do a service that I have some level of gratitude towards and nothing more.

18. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

tight *** poor boy, stay home if you can't afford to tip:tongue2: :lol:
    we both know you can't afford it anyway:wink2:

Crappy Tipper likes this.
  19. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    Well you know that extra 3 dollars that people are mad at me for not wanting to give a waiter once every 3 months when I actually do go out to dinner will in fact make or break me. That 12 dollars per year is a painful loss and probably means that I can't feed the cats in the month of December, lucky they are pudgy.

calphin likes this.
  20. calphin

I can't recall the last time we went out to dinner, other than stopping at Burger King or Subway on the way home from hunting. and thats not going out to dinner. heck, I go through the drive thru, order my food, pull into the parking lot, sit on the tail gate and eat.

now thats living:up:

21. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008

I think the last real meal out was when I went to S. California in July, before that would have been May.

An impatient 15 month old makes dining out more effort than it's worth.

22. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The staff is on the payroll of anybody who eats at the restaurant. That is the standard in this country. It was recognized by the law when they exempted wait staff from minimum wage requirements. In an economics class I was in some 20 years ago one of my classmates did a presentation comparing wait staff wages in countries where tipping wasn't the norm against countries where it was. In countries where tipping isn't standard the wait staff receives higher wages (relative to their country's standard wages) and the cost of dining out is higher. You may not like the system but the fact is that in this country the tip is considered part of their wage and everybody who dines out is expected to pay it.

23. calphin

Does that mean I'm the manager? if so, cool...

next time I do go to dinner things are gonna change now that I run the place:up:

24. calphin

25. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I expect good service, if I don't get good service I could give a damn what the norm is or what the server expects because they will die holding their breath waiting on 15% if they are mediocre at best. They are in a service industry it's a system where they are paid based on the level of service they give. I think if more people didn't act like sheep and pay 15% for any service no matter how good or bad then the level of customer service in general wouldn't be in the toilet right now at most retail establishments.

Just a question though did you read the entire thread? Did you see the half dozen or so times that I mentioned great service will always get a tip that while I don't calculate it as such, will always be over 15%?

26. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    Just to clarify, I live in California so:

So that means they are getting at least 8.00 per hour plus tips and in the bay area minimum wage is something like 9.00 - 9.25

Source

27. calphin

Here in calif thats not the case
    Weighing wage hike impact | PressDemocrat.com | The Press Democrat | Santa Rosa, CA

28. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    calphin likes this.
  29. calphin

Ain't you the lucky one:up:

30. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I am enjoying my most successful thread ever, but I'm afraid my image will be tarnished.

31. calphin

Why is that? people who hold crap personal on a message board should not be on em. it's opinion, nothing more.

besides, most of these people will still love ya, even if you crap in their corn flakes:up:

32. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    If nothing else when I have a bad day at work I always know I can retreat to the safety of the internet to annoy strangers.

Now if I had really wanted an argument I could have said that I dislike tipping waiters more than I dislike watching chad johnson showboat. :lol:

FiN.in.RI and calphin like this.
  33. calphin

:lol:

34. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Yeah... I'll probably be pissed if someone craps in my corn flakes...

SICK and calphin like this.
  35. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    Don't worry I'll keep you in my "don't crap" list.

SICK likes this.
  36. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Yes, I read the entire thread. You asked two questions. The second one was should you feel guilty about paying less if the server provided poor service. I never touched on that question. I never addressed how you should feel. Personally, I will tip less if the service is unacceptable to me, but what is unacceptable will vary among individuals.

The only question I addressed is "why should I pay the server on scale according to what I want to eat if he/she does no more work?" I answered the question by explaining that the server must pay federal taxes based on the amount of the meal. If you order a more expensive meal and tip on the value of the lower priced meal then you are shorting your server from the tip you normally pay.

37. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    right. your actually shortchanging your waiter if you leave the same amount

tipping is a social contract that you enter into when you go out to eat. society and the federal government assumes you will tip according to a certain standard based on service and the amount your bill is

some may not like the system, but any other system would require you to pay the same amount to equal what you should be tipping in some way that will either increase the price of food or add on a service charge. either way, the labor of waiters has to be paid and both ways involve the costumers paying for it

because you are given the "option" of whether or not and how much to tip does not absolve you or your responsibility

38. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    tips are earned.....if the waiter wants a good one....its their responsiblity to give good service....or i have the right to tip poorly.....what will a "social contract" be ripped up and i be arrested?

no.

39. calphin

4 pages on tipping:lol:

40. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    My 2 cents.................
    I wasnt much on the tipping thing until my 2 daughters got jobs as waitresses for spending money. Although it isnt a hard job, as some say, you do have to put up with alot of idiots and jerks and the like. Some of these people work late nites after school for next to nothing without tips. IF the service is better than good, I make sure to TELL them, then show them my appreciation with the amount of tip I leave. It helps when you can make em smile. At least they arent on the streets doing nothing and getting into trouble and I dont want to be part of the reason they quit and DO NOTHING. Although I seem to be almost always broke, I am better off than alot of other people...........and ........I cant take it with me.

calphin and SICK like this.