1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Titans, Haynesworth far apart on deal

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by syborg, Feb 5, 2009.

1. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    You sound as if he was just sleepwalking before then. He wasn't. Guys mature over time.

2. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Albert Haynsworth as a 34 Nose wouldn't work, IMO. In that instance, guys like Casey Hampton, Jamal Williams, Vince Wilfork, Haloti Ngata and Kris Jenkins are guys I'd take over Haynsworth. He's at his best in the 43, I don't think he could make a smooth transition to the 34 at all and unless Miami plans on bringing Joey Porter back down to 5 sacks a season, they are going to stay in the 34.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He has better numbers in his last two years than he had the five previous years combined. This past season he had 8.5 sacks. Do you know how much he had the previous five years? 9.5. My point is that the last two years he's had an expiring contract and has stepped his game up. The previous five years he was an underachieving first round draft pick who had taken plays off and didn't have the fire that he suddenly has. He was a headcase for the coaches because he couldn't control himself. He's had issues on the field and off the field (had a DUI I believe) and not to mention he's never played NT. If it was me, I'd have a hard time investing big money into this guy but to each his own.

4. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Yes, I'm fully aware of Haynesworth's history. My issue with what you said is that you're assuming his play the past couple of years is due strictly to his contract expiring. Your proof is that he didn't have a lot of sacks previous to the past couple of years. But on the other hand, in 2005 he had more tackles than he did this (or any other) season. It's not a foreign concept that pass rush skills develop over time, especially at interior line positions. It's also not a foreign concept that some people take longer to mature. I certainly wouldn't discount that the fallout over the Gurode incident finally turned the light on in his head. Unless you're in the Titans inner circle, it sounds to me like you're being dismissive based on some pre-conceived notion.

As I've noted repeatedly in this thread, it's not news that anyone signing Haynesworth may be taking a risk. I would expect that if this front office truly had interest in the guy they would due their due diligence in regards to both his behavior and his performance.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm not discounting that he's possibly matured over time. I hope he has. What I have a hard time with is possibly investing big money into a guy who has not done much prior to the last couple years, as I said before. Maybe the light had turned on. Its definitely possible. I just find it a bit ironic that he has started maturing when his contract was set to expire. Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am to be honest with you.