1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryan Tannehill

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by bbqpitlover, Oct 16, 2019.

Ryan Tannehill is...

1. A terrible QB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A below average QB

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. An average QB

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. An above average QB

39 vote(s)
    55.7%
  5. An elite QB

16 vote(s)
    22.9%
  6. The GOAT.

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Cashvillesent

Cashvillesent A female Tannehill fan

Dec 8, 2019
    Derrick Henry is the first player in NFL history with 180+ rushing yards in three straight games

(via @CBSSports)

Irishman, KeyFin, Mcduffie81 and 2 others like this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That's not a good reply.

3. Carmen Cygni

Carmen Cygni Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Congrats @Cashvillesent. Pees gameplanned it perfectly against the Ravens. As some others pointed out, (and contrary to my previous gripes about his lack of aggressiveness) that is exactly how you want to play that type of offense; inside-out, forcing everything deep and to the sidelines, stay disciplined, keep the running QB in the pocket, and don't fall for the eye candy. Excellent defensive effort. Not to mention, you got a helluva QB as well.

4. Cashvillesent

Dec 8, 2019
    Im kind of suprised that our defense is playing as good as it is honestly.

When you look at this Titans defense on paper it doesnt strike you as an talented bunch but rather than average players doing their jobs. This is all Peas and most importantly Mike Vrabel bringing this NE attuide in Tennessee.

Irishman and resnor like this.
  5. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    @CBSSportsHQ

Cap hits for Ryan Tannehill this season:

Titans: $1.85 million
    Dolphins: $18.5 million

resnor, Hiruma78, Two Tacos and 4 others like this.
  6. Cashvillesent

Dec 8, 2019
    Lamar had like 40 plus pass attempts

Lmao.

Lamar is a RB trying to be a QB

Irishman likes this.
  7. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Not to spoil the mood, but there’s just one person here being dumb, and it isn’t me.

The original poster said who raised this question said find a 22 y/o QB who had a better season than Jackson this year. The fact that Marino didn’t get to start until game 6 is irrelevant...Jackson had a better season, full stop.

When did RUSHING yards take prominence over passing yards when evaluating a quarterback? Never. But you’re trying to pretend that those 1200 yards didn’t happen, because they refute your argument. Lamar Jackson also threw for over 3,000 yards, and had 36 touchdown passes.

As for “playing quarterback was hard” in ‘83 — playing quarterback is always hard. Pre-1978 rule change quarterbacks thought Marino had it easy compared to them. The fact is, this year, the way the game is played right now, Lamar Jackson was the best QB during the season, which is why he’s the MVP. Dan Marino in 1983 was a very good quarterback, on his way to greatness. He was not the MVP. Lamar Jackson age 22 had a better year than Dan Marino did at the same age.

Deal with it.

8. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    More like 60... 59 to be exact.

Irishman, resnor and Cashvillesent like this.
  9. Cashvillesent

Dec 8, 2019
    Thats like 4 times as much as Tannehill

10. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  11. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I know... I should of been more creative with it. Gave it some flair. Really sell it. But in the end, it's facts. Outside of fantasy, Lamar's rushing yardage means ****. QB's have to be able to throw. And passing has to be 1A, not 1B.

Irishman, cuchulainn, resnor and 2 others like this.
  12. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Ryan Tannehill is 4 quarters away from starting at a Super Bowl in Hard Rock Stadium here in Miami... let that sink in..

Irishman, resnor, miami365 and 10 others like this.
  13. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    @PhoneDaPosites

Tannehill passed for 88 total yards & got 45 of them on one play

Irishman and fin13 like this.
  14. Cashvillesent

Dec 8, 2019
    DerrickHenry's Highlights vs Ravens (2020)

[​IMG]

15. Cashvillesent

Dec 8, 2019
    The guy was hyped as the most unique and unstoppable player we’ve ever seen by the media. Defenses couldn’t guard him! How do you even gameplan for him?!?
    Also give me a break about the stats. He was awful today. He racked up yards when the Titans would play lose coverage to drain clock because they knew Ravens couldn’t stop their run game. 3 TOs for Jackson and getting stuffed twice on 4th down. His receivers dropped some but he also made horrible throws all night.

Nothing against Lamar but the media was a real circus with him the entire year. Same thing as Watson a few years ago when he was hyped as some generational QB legend and put ahead of guys like Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, and etc only to flop in the first round.

Irishman likes this.
  16. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I think Lamar is fairly average at QB, but an astonishing runner. Watson has his bright spots, and he's above average for sure. It's hard to put him too high up there because he has those 2 big time receivers...but he is good. He's a gamer at least.

And you're right...the media has been all over Lamar all year long. They'll be back-peddling a bit on this one.

Irishman likes this.
  17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I am sorry. I do not agree.

One playoff game does not take away his accomplishment this season. Ravens are not the first seed without those rushing yards.

Any given Sunday exists because NFL teams can always upset other teams.

resnor, Fin D and Carmen Cygni like this.
  18. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    MVPs tend to get hyped. Dan Marino got hyped in 1984, correctly. He was also characterized as unstoppable. Eventually, though, he got stopped.

I watched the game. I thought I saw a great player having a rough game. And yeah, I know he got lots of yards in quasi-garbage time. But the Titans running game was no longer churning at that point (I wish they’d let Tannehill pass a little), and i for one didn’t relax until the Ravens turned it over with just under five minutes left.

Be interesting to see how Jackson does next year. I’m still a believer.

Tin Indian likes this.
  19. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    That would be super-sweet for RT and Wake to basically have home field advantage in the Super Bowl! We're 4 quarters from seeing that happen people...

Oh, and for the record...go Houston! Would be awesome to see them "settle" who the division champ is in the AFC Championship game!

20. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Umm, I'm pretty sure I'm staying on this bandwagon until Tannehill retires!

Mcduffie81, Irishman, resnor and 3 others like this.
  21. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    No worries though- he told Gase he's a visionary. What could possibly go wrong?

resnor, Tin Indian and adamprez2003 like this.
  22. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    I love this ****

23. PhinFan1968

Me too...I haven't been this happy from football in a VERY long time. It'd be that much sweeter if it were our Dolphins, but I'll take it.

Tannehill's been my favorite player for a while...so happy seeing him get monkeys off his back. And the Dolphins helped by dropping them punk *** Patriots to the wildcard round...sweet revenge indeed.

Never thought I'd see the day a Tannehill team would go into Baltimore and DOMINATE those chumps...so awesome to watch!

Would love nothing more than a Dolphins Super Bowl win...but since they don't have a chance, a Titans one would do just fine!

Mcduffie81, Irishman, KeyFin and 7 others like this.
  24. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I think its entirely valid to question if Jackson is even good to begin with.

The scheme they run has been incredibly effective in making it si that he doesnt have to make NFL level throws. His passing windows look more like college than the pro game.

I've been asking all season what happens when the windows are smaller and I saw all I needed to personally. Hes incredibly average if you force him into making NFL level passes.

Maybe he can improve that but I wouldnt want him on my team long term.

Anyway I'm one of the few people who actually predicted the Titans would walk into Baltimore and win so I'm proud of that.

The Guy and resnor like this.
  25. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    I have always taken “game manager” to mean risk averse football, avoiding interceptions, fumbles and sacks by not going for high risk/high reward plays. I have never heard of low volume QB play referred to as “game manager”.

I am open to be corrected if anyone has a better definition. My understanding has always been that game manager refers to a particular style of play (risk avoidance) rather than as a measure of volume.

The Guy likes this.
  26. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    I can personally see it being used that way. I dont think it's entirely accurate but I get what hes saying.

To me a game manager just means someone who can make the correct play based on the situation in a game, manages the clock well and gives his team a chance to win by minimizing mistakes. I dont think it has to mean a player is devoid of talent or has low volume.

I'd consider Brady a game manager, but I'd also consider him a top QB.

The Guy, resnor and The_Dark_Knight like this.
  27. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    But as I pointed out earlier, and it may have gotten lost in the multiple posts that were being posted, comparing them at 22 isn't necessarily a fair comparison. At 22, Marino was a rookie. At 22, Jackson was in his second year in the league, so the FAIR comparison is to compare Marino's second season with Jackson's second season.

Both were league MVP's but the NFL lost the Quarterback Record Book that season...Marino stole it. Marino didn't just break, he SHATTERED every significant record that year...records no one thought would be broken.

Not taking anything away from Jackson's accomplishments this season, but his year 2 accomplishments pale in comparison to Marino's year 2 accomplishments.

28. PhinFan1968

Absolutely.

29. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    We've had out back and forths, but this is the most accurate thing I think I've seen you post..and this is what an elite quarterback does.

Has Tannehill put up staggering numbers in the playoffs? Not at all; nothing compared to his regular season performance, but he's played ***SMART*** football in the playoffs.

The Titans have face, in order...the number 1 ranked defense last week against New England and the number 3 ranked defense in Baltimore last night. The Titans played those defenses the way you must...wear them down and the BEST way to wear down a defense is to keep them on the field, with sustained drives and run the ball down their throats. ***SMART*** football!

On the other side of the ball, Tennessee's 13th ranked defense has played MUCH better than they're overall ranking indicates. If one didn't know any better, based on their defensive performances last night and last week against New England, you'd think Tennessee had the league's top ranked defense.

30. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    He's TOO classy of a young man to do so but if he were to make it to the Super Bowl, can't you just see him running out onto the field and scream at everyone..."HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW MIAMI?" :sidelol:

Tin Indian, Puka-head, Pauly and 2 others like this.
  31. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    Honestly we do disagree on some things but we arent as far apart as you might think. Especially on what a QB needs to do. We might disagree on individual players sometimes but everyone does. We both just have strong personalities so a minor disagreement seems bigger.

The_Dark_Knight likes this.
  32. Triggercut

Triggercut Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011
    true

33. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    That games a perfect example of how scoreboard dictates play calling.

and one QBs pocket passer warts showing up despite empty passing numbers.

34. The Guy

The Guy Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    What I was getting at there is the notion that emphasizing the run game and limiting the quantity of the passing game is in itself possibly a risk management strategy and can therefore fit into the category of game management.

35. PhinFan1968

36. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    There’s no reason to pass tbe ball when the scoreboard doesn’t dictate it and you’ve forced the other qb into plan b and all his pocket passer warts are coming out. Poor reads, late outside tbe #s it all showed up and when he tried to outflank the titans d they had a situational lb #54 spying him and forcing him by and large side ways not north south. The one time he gashed them #54 the spy got very aggressive and rushed and came up with air and the middle of the field was wide open for Jackson’s legs.

Pauly, Irishman and PhinFan1968 like this.
  37. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Can’t live in pistol when you are chasing tbe scoreboard. And just about every time he took a regular pass set the qb pocket read and passer execution was sub par.

38. Hooligan

Hooligan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Costa Rica
    I just read an article that after the Raven thrashed us in week one they hid a football somewhere in the overhead of the visitor's locker room and vowed, as a team, to retrieve that football when they returned to play in the Superbowl. Hahahaha,, I guess that football is still there with maybe another one put there by the patriots the next weekend. What arrogance. Go Titans.

39. FinFaninBuffalo

FinFaninBuffalo Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    You okay dude? LOL

PhinFan1968 and resnor like this.
  40. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Just shows to go ya what a top ranked D, a solid O Line and a commitment to the run game will do for you. Miami's FO has been incompetent for the last 30+ years. SMH...