1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Stafford or Not to Stafford ...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by texanphinatic, Mar 8, 2009.

Tags:
  1. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
  2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

IMO, there is a good degree of risk in taking Stafford and based on history, it's at least 50/50 that he will bust. For every Peyton Manning at #1 overall, there is a Tim Couch too.

The Lions should take a page from Miami and build the lines first. Take either Aaron Curry the linebacker, or Jason Smith to be their OLT for the next decade. Both much safer picks if building for the long haul.

alen1 likes this.
  3. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I can see Jason Smith, but not Curry, there is almost no value in it. Not to mention there is risk at ANY position. I hate those arguments. As for Smith, Id rather Stafford and a LT at 1b like Oher, Meredith or Britton than Smith and no QB.
    To reduce the pick to an arbitrary number like 50/50 is simply not looking at the prospect. Stafford has the tools to succeed, more than a lot of the Qbs that have come before him and failed. And lets be realistic, the Lions can afford to sit him for a year while they build an OL and search for a RB, its like they are needing to rush into this and start him.

Frankly, if they feel he can be a franchise QB, they just cant pass on him.

4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

They said the same thing about David Carr, Tim Couch, Alex Smith, etc. I'm just going by past history with the 50/50 thing. I think the only underclassman QB taken 1st overall who has succeeded has been Drew Bledsoe.

I don't agree that there is no value in Curry as an OLB @ #1. He is probably the safest most bust proof player in the draft as for someone who has a high floor as well as a high ceiling. OLBs who can rush the passer, create pressure and turnovers, are very much a value pick up at the top of the draft.

The Lions simply cannot afford to miss on this #1 overall pick. The chances of them doing so with Stafford are much greater than with Smith or Curry. Next year is going to be a much better QB draft and if they focus on building the OL and front 7 on D this year, they will be better prepared to have a strong supporting cast for a rookie QB next year when Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy and several other top QBs will be in the draft.

alen1 likes this.
  5. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    You have to build the lines and Front 7 first. Especially the line because the QB feeds off the line. So IMO they should draft Jason Smith #1 overall.

6. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Stafford is careless with the ball more than he should be for a top notch signal caller in my opinion. I will be honest and say I haven't reviewed the quarterbacks yet in any great depth, so this is only a limited surface level analysis on my part - so take it with a grain of salt.

For my money Jason Smith goes first. If they want potential, they can grab Josh Freeman when they come up again at #20 (I think that is the right number off the top of my head) and it wouldn't be a that huge a reach considering his up side.

7. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Stafford has not got much better since he was a freshman and he had one of the best RB's in college football behind him. I don't see how you make the mistakes he did with that talent around him. However he does have a great arm and he will go in the first round, But he needs to sit and learn the offense (While getting his butt chewed out for throwing bvad passes in practice.)

I totally agree about Josh Freeman. I think that he would be there at 20 unless the Bucs take him at 19. He has all the tools and had not near the taslent that Stafford had. He has alot of intangibles as well. The Lions could even gamble and take him with the 1st pick in the 2nd rd cause he could be there than as well.

8. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I watched three of Stafford's games this last season, and in all three, one thing really stood out. He is extremely mediocre

No way would I go near him if I were the Lion's

JMHO

9. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    All I can think of when I hear these arguments is Matt Ryan. I love Jake Long, I think he was a great pickup, but if Henne comes in and cant get it done while Ryan is hitting probowl after probowl, we messed up. Not in a huge bust type of way, but still a screwup. As for LT, why should the Lions follow us and take one #1 when they again can do like atlanta who took Baker late in the first and take Beatty or Oher or Britton. There will be good tackles late in the first.
    But Ryan had alot of the same negatives. Lacking accuracy, careless with the ball, not overly impressive etc. Stafford has been working hard to improve accuracy on NFL style throws this offseason. He knows whats at stake, he wants to succeed, hes got the raw ability, hes said to possess good football intelligence, can digest a pro playbook well-hes got the intangibles. He just needs to keep working on the accuracy a bit, which he is doing.

A lot of people are saying Detroit "cant screw this up." Why not? Theyve been blowing every draft for the past 10 years it seems like. They are 0-16. They are *not* getting any worse. Go grab your QB and dont look back.

As for #1 overall QBs who have succeeded, along with Bledsoe you have to mention Carson Palmer and the Bros. Manning.

10. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    There will be at least three QB's coming out next year that are light-years ahead of Stafford.
    As far as him working on his accuracy, shouldn't he have been doing that all along?

11. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    You dont plan on drafting a specific player in next years draft before this years has taken place. What happens when one puts up a dud of a season, blows out a knee like Culpepper, or what if the Lions just do well enough to pick out of their range?

And who says he hasnt. But he had to work within the confines of the Georia system to win as many games as possible. Now that hes out, he can concentrate on what he feels like, he can hire private coaches, he can go to the premier workout camps etc etc.

Why dont WRs train harder for the 40 during college? Why dont lighter DEs try and play with more weight, why dont OL try to get stronger? Theres always something to work on. At least Stafford is identifying it and working on it.

12. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

Taking a QB first just for the sake of it is ludicrious.
    I still dont think the kid is gonna pan out. Of course, I am far from an expert, but the games I saw him play, he didnt even come close to looking like a Pro-Prospect.

Comparing a QB's accuracy to a WR running a 40 or a DE putting on more weight isnt even close to the same thing.

You mention he has "All the tools" yet I say far and away, one of his most important tools isnt there, and that is accuracy. It is much more important at the Pro-Level than at College as everything he does from here on out is going to be directed by timing and accuracy.

For the record, I also think Matt Ryan has enjoyed the best year he will have at the Pro-Level.... but for the record, you are also accurate, I didnt give Ryan a snow-balls chance in hell of achieving what he already has.

That said, I am very glad we took Long instead of Ryan. :knucks: