1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today marks the 1 year anniversay of Ireland being fired

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, Jan 7, 2015.

1. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Carpenter played well based on statistics where? In Miami? No. There's a reason he's not a Dolphin, and it's underwhelming performance for too much money. The fail on Ireland isn't letting Carpenter go, it's on getting an oft-injured underwhelming replacement.

2. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    Dude 34 for 38 and a 58 long, plus a clutch 51 yarder against GB where he was perfect marks a good year for Carpentar in Buffalo. He played well this year in Buffalo, what are you talking about?

3. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    You reading my posts or just thinking abstractly about the concept of Carpenter?

4. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    I get why he's not a Dolphin, underwhelming over paid all that. But denying he had a good year in Buffalo, when I've got the stats to back it up, well that's just untrue.

5. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    Your posts don't make sense. All I said was Carpenter had a good year and based on this evidence, we probably shouldn't have let him go. What is your point? Like I get Ireland had good cause to let him go, but in hindsight I'm just saying based on the evidence it probably wasn't wise. Obviously hindsight 20/20. But Carpenter had a good year, you can't really argue that.

6. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Carpenter lost us his fair share of games but Sturgis isn't much better. You could make sn argument he's slightly worse. All in all we need a new K.

7. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Again, the problem is that Ireland was taking players for a scheme the coaches didn't want to run, it's not that they are bad players. Jordan especially, but Wheeler, Ellerbe, Misi, and to a certain extent Wallace too.

Taylor can play imo, he just needs to stay healthy. Davis I'm not sure about.

8. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    But Buffalo may not be based on Carpenter's year. Just pissed we didn't keep what looks to be the better kicker of the two. Emo computer guy doesn't seem to understand i'm just comparing Carpenter to Sturgis, and Carpenter was better. And you personally may not like Carpenter based on his history in Miami but CURRENTLY, in Buffalo, I don't think they're too concerned. He really did have a solid year.

9. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Carpenter wasn't performing well enough to justify his contract. Any K making 2+ million needs to be damn near automatic.

10. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Lol 2socks you're a funny guy...don't turn into Ireland's ToogoodforDez

11. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Who - what

UMMMMMMMM.....what I do???

12. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Your posts are too well thought out and lack the proper level of depression and cynicism.

2socks likes this.
  13. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014
    Ummm...

Happy anniversary?

14. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Philbin and Coyle wanted faster more athletic linebackers for Coyle's defense. We basically settled for Ellerbe and Wheeler because there was no-one else on the market worth a damn. To boot we overpaid because we needed to make some moves because jobs were on the line. Or so we thought.

Ellerbe went from a weak inside linebacker in a 3-4 to the MIKE in a 4-3. Wheeler played mostly weak-side for the Raiders, but he dropped into coverage way more with the Dolphins. Both have been exposed as below average and over paid as a result.

Misi, if he can stay healthy, and Jenkins are solid and we should be good in the middle for at least a yr - maybe two. We definitely need to add speed and athleticism to the rest of our linebackers spots so we are better in our base D. Just more work and Money in my opinion we do not have.

Some are claiming we are fine. I think we got a lot more work monetary then people think. I hope we are not effected, but I also am not blind either. Hell we even need a kicker.

Piston Honda likes this.
  15. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Agreed. LB should be priority 1. We could alleviate some of it by going to a 3-4 but that would open a hole at NT and **** if we didn't just let a really good one walk in FA.

16. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I would love to hear more about the defensive switch from 4-3 to 3-4, I have a pretty good idea of what it would take. Not sure if the personel or Coyle could run it effectively though. I would have to do more research on players, personel, schemes etc to make an educated decision, or talk intelligently.

It really is crazy when you sit back and look at things from an objective standpoint. I hate being negative. I love this team and want to win so bad. Jesus - the Gosh dang New England Patriots are on their way to their 4th consecutive AFC Championship. 4th.....wtf

It just is depressing

Now to add insult to injury - my 10 yr old just told me he likes the SeaBirds........LOL

and "that their uniforms are cool and they won the superbowl and are really good and maybe going to win it again this year" "I think I might change from the dolphins Dad".

Dammit

17. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Could be worse, he could choose be a Pats/Jets/Bills/Cowboys fan.

2socks likes this.
  18. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I am sensoring his exposure:sad:

cuchulainn and FinSane like this.
  19. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Anybody watch Vontae Davis have one hell of a game today?

But those "coupla" picks tho…

[​IMG]

20. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Not to defend Ireland but there's no guarantee he would've played like that had we kept him. He was lost here and had no support system. Chuck Pagano is a player's coach who can work with someone like Vontae. Too bad it didn't work here. That's still on Ireland though because Vontae had serious question marks about his character coming into the draft and we never tried to help him.

21. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    How quickly Dolphin fans forget. Vontae Davis already WAS playing like that as a Miami Dolphin. He played very well here. And despite an off 2011, there was really no hard evidence to suggest he would stop being a very good cornerback in this league. But Dolphin fans should once again, be all too painfully aware that player retention was not one of Ireland's strong suits. And he was even worse at doing anything at all with the picks he acquired for players.

djphinfan and Itsdahumidity like this.
  22. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    5 picks in the first three rounds and he still failed miserably. That will always be on his resume.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  23. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    He was good but not at the level he us now. For every game changing play he made, he would also get routinely burned. I remember quite a few games he would be gassed and cramped out. Ala the Indy game to start the 2011 season(I believe)

24. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Yes, his 2011 wasn't great. But the whole defense was bad in 2011. A lot of that has to be on the coaching and the stagnant offense. Remember those game clinching interceptions against the Patriots?

25. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Remember all those moments with Ted Ginn Jr. against the New York Jets, haha?

FinSane likes this.
  26. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Lol did Ireland really ever win ONE trade? Trading away Marshall was an L, same with Vontae, traded up for Daniel Thomas, Shawn Murphy, Will Davis and Dion Jordan, trading down from pick #12 to 28 and missing out on the boatload of talent the 2010 draft had to offer in the 1st round and having to settle for ordinary *** Odrick...

MonstBlitz and FinSane like this.
  27. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Oh please.Hickey has done more in one year than Ireland did during his whole tenure.His greatest quality is that he convince Ross he was worth keeping around not a very hard thing to do apparently because the trend continues with Philbin.We always seem to leave a rotten apple to spoil the barrel.

At least with Hickey we have the hope of another succesful year drafting and signing of FAs.

Itsdahumidity, MonstBlitz and FinSane like this.
  28. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Vontae Davis definitely was not a consistent player for the Dolphins. Not even close.

When it comes down to it, Ireland is making decisions on his own players largely based upon what the coaches are doing with them. If the coaching staff didn't have the wherewithall to maximize Davis as a player, the GM needs to consider that.

29. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    What did Hickey do that was so great? Hickeys draft was top heavy and full of potential. He has two players that look good, but I doubt either are going to be elite or all-pro players. The rest of the draft are people who might be good. Though I do have high hopes for Fede.

His free agent signings were mediocre at best.

30. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    How so? The performance of the offensive line, and the offense in general was VASTLY improved with Brandon Albert. How can you call that mediocre? Do you still have that much man love for Jeff Ireland that you're going to piss all over the accomplishments of the current GM?

31. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    Of course, Albert got hurt, which was the concern with him all along. Picking an established Pro Bowler and then throwing more money at him than any other team spends on any other FA is not a great accomplishment. The question was whether Albert would play enough to warrant the paycheck. The injury was a fluke-type thing that seemed unrelated to any prior injuries, but if one is playing the result the Albert signing may not have been a good move at all.