1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Todd Bowles' Impact as the Secondary Coordinator

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Dec 10, 2008.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Todd Bowles came over from Dallas with a reputation for turning even average secondaries in Cleveland and NY into better ballhawks, and the same has happened in Miami.

Our giveaway/take away ratio this season is +10,

In 2007, our giveaway/takeaway ratio was -7

A great example of Bowle's effect is Will Allen, in 2007 he had a perfect season, no Int's, no fumbles recovered, in 2008, he has 3 Int's, one for a TD, and a Forced Fumble on a corner back blitz.

In 2007, for the season we had 12 Int's as a team, in 2008, we have 12 with 3 games to go, and in 2007 we had 17 Fumble Recoveries, in 2008 we have 15.

2007 Miami Dolphins Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com
    2008 Miami Dolphins Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

BTW, as an aside, Ted Ginn is having a down year returning kicks, in 2007 he had 2200 yds, in 2008 he down around 1350, but if Devone Bess's punt return yardage is added, we are actually ahead of the totals from last season with 3 games to go, we have more kick return yardage (2263) this year then we did all of last season.

cnc66 likes this.
  2. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    While I don't think we necessarily have a legitimate ballhawk in the secondary, I think their numbers would look better if we could generate a pass rush once in awhile.

You do that, and there are going to be some errant, ill-advised passes in the air.

Right now they aren't getting a lot of chances at 'cheap' INT's like a lot of other teams do. Even if you get close, you're making the QB adjust or step up. Right now they're sitting back in the rocking chair far too often.

Agua and mi2cents like this.
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We are doing slightly better then last season, but I do think Bowles has turned Will Allen around dramatically, this is the same CB who would have maybe 1 Interception a season.

Goodman consistently has 2 or so a year, and Randal Hill not playing last season makes a comparison difficult, he has two Int's, JA basically has 2 Int's with the tipped ball Int to Hill against the Pats, so overall, we are better at ballhawking, heck even Akin Ayodele has two Int's.

So top to bottom I'd say we are a much improved.

A number I overlooked, Passes Defensed, has shown improvement as well, in 2007 for the season we had 57 passes defensed, in 2008, we already have 61 passes defensed and we have caused four more forced fumbles with three games to go.