1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tony Gonzalez angry at 'ridiculous' hit on Dustin Keller

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by xphinfanx, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Because it would give us mere mortals another reason to bask in the glory of your omnipotence oh cleanly one.

2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

That's old school. You like old school.

Puka-head likes this.
  3. MrClean

He didn't lead with his "hat" like they do now. In those days, helmets were for protection, not to be used as a weapon. I'm thinking the extra padding and design of helmets these days, compared to a circa 1970s helmet, encourages players to lead with them. If we went back to the same design as those helmets, with a little less advanced padding and design, players perhaps would be less willing to lead with them when they, try to obliterate a ball carrier.

Puka-head and MikeHoncho like this.
  4. MrClean

I do not have any glory of omnipotence. Not in my mind. Thanks for thinking so anyway.

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Why you mad tho

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

6. MrClean

I'm not. Why would you care?

Puka-head likes this.
  7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    My bad wrong quote

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

8. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    That makes no sense. Why would I want a Dolphins QB to get hit like that or a defensive player to go through the scrutiny that Turkey Joe Jones went through at that time. Hell I was watching that game as a kid.
    Did you notices the the yellow laundry that came in. They call that a penalty. As it should be.

9. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    You're just being a wimp about it. No way Turkey Jones gets Bradshaw down w/o recklessly dropping him on his head and risking injury. Turkey's entitled to his sack, brobeans.

10. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    You're welcome. Thanks for being able to take a joke.

11. WhiteIbanez

Aug 10, 2012
    Well no ****. That is why I labeled it as defining a dirty hit. It was a cheap shot and we see flags.

12. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    So you're saying the sack could've been achieved without playing recklessly and increasing the injury risk?

MrClean likes this.
  13. MrClean

Sort of like the sorry excuse for a tackle that Swearinger used on Keller? All this time White really agrees with us. He just didn't know it. :chuckle:

ToddPhin likes this.
  14. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    :chuckle:

You like how we boxed him in there? :)

MrClean likes this.
  15. WhiteIbanez

Aug 10, 2012
    You guys enjoy tag teaming men huh? :wink2:

16. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yup, so you're safe.

17. MrClean

:sidelol: :sidelol: Best. Retort. Ever. !!! :yes:

ToddPhin likes this.
  18. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Still waiting for the league to fine Swearinger for this "cheap shot hit".

I did read a article the other day saying that the league might look into these types of hits next offseason, but for now, those hits are clean.

19. WhiteIbanez

Aug 10, 2012

Tell that to the bald guy and his buddy. :lol:
    I put up a fine example of a flagrant hit that dictates flags on the field. From the old days of course.
    I didn't see a flag on the Swearinger hit. I would love to be proved wrong but that is clearly impossible.

20. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    So I take it that means you would've been fine with the Turkey Jones sack had the ref happened to not throw a flag.

MrClean likes this.
  21. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    From pee wee football, they coach you to keep your head up and tackle at the waist. It was a chicken **** hit. Ankle divers are scared to get run over. ****in bum.

Tone_E, MrClean and Puka-head like this.
  22. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    That's the way I was taught to tackle. Hit em in the gut fold him in half pick him up and put him down. What the hell happened to wrapping up in the NFL?

23. MrClean

We're both bald. Grass cannot grow on a busy street.

ToddPhin likes this.
  24. MrClean

Did you see that one pass to DPatt's man on a blitz when he was covering, I presume, the hot read? DP closed like a flash on the WR and he could have dropped his head and dove for the knee area. Instead he hit the WR around waist high while wrapping with both arms. Stopped the guy just short of a 1st down. Actually the guy never got a bit of YAC on the play. I thought to myself, now that is how to tackle in that kind of situation. Not do what Swearinger did.

ToddPhin likes this.
  25. MrClean

Legal and clean are not always the same thing, such as is the case on the play in question.

26. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Doesn't matter these days if a flag is thrown or not, the league will still fine you the next week. The league hasn't fined Swearninger, so is must be a clean and legal hit...

27. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    He's also a rookie in preaseason. He might just receive an under the table warning. We'll see by whether or not his style of play cleans up any.

28. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I get that the league ruled it was a legal hit, but IMO it was reckless and is the kind of hit that NFL players unofficially avoided over the years. It was always considered a dirty play even though that sort of hit has never been illegal. I do expect that it will be an illegal hit next season after the rules committee meets this next offseason.

ToddPhin and MrClean like this.
  29. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Just because it's legal doesn't make it right.

Hey who knows maybe Keller will hold a grudge for 40 years and meet Swearinger and have it out like these 2 old CFL'ers fighting over a 50 year old cheap shot:

[video=youtube;cyoEcbk3EP0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyoEcbk3EP0[/video]

30. MrClean

Just because it was legal, does not make it clean. Please stop using those words as if they are synonyms.

Tone_E, ToddPhin and FanMarino like this.
  31. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Was LAME hit. Clean regarding rules making it 'legal'. Any legal hit is deemed 'clean'. Thats the problem. Its all conjectual when the rules make it ok. Fine lines mean squat when its fine to make a tackle that is in the rules no matter what the outcome. Total Catch 22 syndrome.

32. MrClean

Antonym of clean is dirty. Swearinger's hit was dirty. He is dirty no good scum and karma is coming for his ***.

ToddPhin likes this.
  33. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    legal doesn't necessarily mean "clean". Legal can mean a law/rule has yet been created to prohibit an action. The NFL had no need to install rules against targeting the knees in the past b/c there really wasn't a need to do so as it was an implied part of the game. Defenders tackled low in the past but were more precise and careful about it. They tackled low in a more clean manner, not this crap we see today where they're dropping their eyes and hurling themselves haphazardly low w/o a care in the world where they make contact. So unfortunately these reckless, disrespectful players like Swearinger will force rule changes that will ruin for everyone else who DOES play cleanly with a modicum of integrity & respect.

It's like how there initially was no law against sodomizing goats. Figured stuff like that was implied to be unacceptable behavior. Now you can't so much as invite a goat over for dinner without sounding off the PITA alarm.

DOLPHAN1 and MrClean like this.
  34. darefugee

darefugee Active Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Tampa, Florida
    I ride to work and home with a guy who was a DL for a couple years for the Fins and later for the Bucs. He assures me that Keller's friends around the league will have their eye on Swearinger. Regardless of whether it was a legal hit, I do think Swearinger will be educated about what's tolerated and what's not.

MrClean and Tone_E like this.