1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tony Pike, QB, Cincinati

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Silverphin, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    What are your thoughts on this player?

2. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You might have to put me in the minority here, but I think he's somewhat overrated. He certainly has the size - with potential to get even bigger, arm, and mobility to sort of be a poor man's Ben Roethlisberger IMO. However, Zach Collaros has performed well, and at times looked just as good as Pike, so is it the system or are they both that good?

Just from watching a lot of UC games over the past two season, Pike looks outstanding some weeks, like against the Illini last week, and looks lost out there some weeks like so far in the first half today against Pitt. To me, just some of the decisions Pike makes are very questionable (trying to squeeze throws into places there aren't windows, forcing throws on sideline routes, or even deep balls, etc.).

That said, I think a lot of things with Pike are pretty coachable and I could see him being successful in the NFL, but he'll definitely have a learning curve, perhaps more so than most expect IMO.

Silverphin likes this.
  3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I was very intrigued early in the year but as the year has wore on, I've been comparing him to a career backup like Sage Rosenfels as I think that's where his potential will take him. What we're seeing here is that he's not a cold weather or snow quarterback.

Silverphin likes this.
  4. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I don't like him. Making poor decisions and too slow of a delivery. Doesn't put enough zip when he needs to and tries to finesse too many throws IMO.

I hope they pull him in the 4th.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Silverphin likes this.
  5. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Last season I thought he had the potential to develop into a first rounder and I thought he started the season well, but he faded pre-injury and has looked awful today.

Silverphin likes this.