1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tony Sparano gets Game Ball from the Team

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Nov 7, 2011.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Video here -

http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/...m-Speech/4393cd7c-b8d6-4002-a9c8-d4f333009ccc

Few things:

First, I was and still am a SFLer until we are mathematically eliminated from the SFL race. Admittedly, I was disappointed with what yesterday's win meant for our SFL chances.

I still don't like Tony Sparano's rehashed locker room speeches filled with "KAY's".

I still think Tony Sparano needs to be fired at the end of the season.

BUT

It's hard not to be happy for these players after a win like that. And my feelings about Coach Sparano aside, I'm glad he got the game ball from the players. He's been through a lot with these guys over 4 years, and I'm sure it meant a lot to him. He deserved that moment with the players.

2. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    Will be his last.

PHINZ4LIFE likes this.
  3. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Until this Sunday after the Redskins game. Unless they fire him for winning...

CD13 likes this.
  4. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    so what are the chances him and Ireland get canned now ? I loved how Miami scored more then 14 points for a change .

5. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    7-9 is still a possibilty

6. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Honestly, Id much rather see Ireland get canned than Sparano if only one could go.

FinNasty and MonstBlitz like this.
  7. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'd much rather keep Ireland if that were the case. He needs to understand FA better but at least he can do something. Far less likeable person though...

8. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    agreed

9. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I perfectly agree. I'm not a huge fan of Sparano and some of his game management decisions downright disturb me but I don't think there's many coaches out there who would have done a significantly better job with the talent Jeff Ireland and Bill Parcells gave him.

10. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Yup. If we could only get rid of 1, I'd can the weasel GM.

11. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    [video=youtube;9-8Rn_W0TJU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-8Rn_W0TJU&feature=related[/video]

MikeHoncho and MonstBlitz like this.
  12. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Our new strategy: score the TD before we get to the redzone. I missed the 1st TD that was only from a few yards out, but the next three seemed to work so much better because we weren't choking in the redzone as usual. I keep wondering if lack of execution or playcalling is more to blame for our redzone woes. Goes to show, give the QB some time, use some creative playcalling when you're at 30-40 yard line, be aggressive and it will pay off.

13. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Good for Sparano...not a perfect coach, but not close to being as bad as a coach as an overemotional fan base makes him out to be.

vt_dolfan and unluckyluciano like this.
  14. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think Sparano is a good guy and I will admit that his team has continued to play hard for him. While I will admit this, I also understand that the Dolphins are 15-25 over the last two and a half seasons with him as the head coach of the Dolphins. So while I am glad to see the players still have a high regard for him as a person. I still feel that he is not a top quality HC in the NFL and he needs to be replaced immediately after the season is over. I am sure he will have no problem finding a position as an assistant in the NFL when he decides to reenter coaching, after taking some time off after getting paid off for the two remaining years he has left on his contract.

I wish him the best and hope he finds happiness in his next coaching job, as long as it is not as the HC of the Dolphins.

15. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I wonder...

If ironically, its the Suck For Luck campaign by Phins fans, that somehow became a rallying point for this team.

This team wins two in a row...and the get confident, they can go on a run. We've been in every game this season....

16. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Suck for Luck has been around for several weeks now. Perhaps it just takes this group 6 weeks to absorb anything and perform based on it.

We're not going on any runs. We might beat Washington. We will win 3-4 games and probably get the 5th pick.

But I suppose I should be comforted that the players got to smile a few times

17. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    If that were true, it would be really sad that it took fans cheering against their team to make a football team play well. How about playing good football to start the season out and never putting those fans in a position to be cheering for SFL?

Disnardo likes this.
  18. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    The uproar and media attention has been recent from what I recall.

19. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I just listened, and counted because I'm bored at work. Here's the final tally at a quick count:
    17 "Kays" or "ok"
    10 "alright"

Damn, that was hard to listen to.

I agree 110%. He needs to go, we need an improvement, there's no doubt. But you can't argue the fact that he has not lost this team, and to me, its obvious those guys still have his back, and want to play for him. So anyone out there that thinks this organization keeping Sparano is a move to Suck for Luck and throw away the season, its way off base. He's still there because, despite the loosing, he hasn't lost the locker room

The other thing I thought was really amusing in this video, Jake Long's reaction to the team not having to meet/practice until Wednesday. He looked like he was getting to see a naked girl for the first time ever :lol:

SRM and MonstBlitz like this.
  20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    while I agree with that mentality, this situation was a bit different, this team, its QB, and their coach were receiving imo, an unfair amount of public criticism before the season started, it was obvious to me that the booing at the practices made its way into their consciousness by the way Sparano responded at one of his banquet functions..

The way I look at it is, if before they took a snap, they felt that their fans were not there to support them as a team, then I'am not sure a team can care enough to do all the little things required to make a real run at the whole thing.

21. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Dj,

You've been trying to say that it's the fans fault for the poor performance ever since the season started, and I just don't buy it at all. These are professional athletes. They get paid to perform at a high level. These aren't kids playing Tee Ball who need the support and praise from mommy and daddy to play well. If they gave up because some fans said some mean things then what is that saying about these players and this team?

The poor performance is due to poor personnel decisions (mainly at QB) first and foremost, then coaching. It's that simple. Players didn't give up because of some chants. I think you need to get that belief out of your head.

jetssuck likes this.
  22. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    There were more "kay kay kays" in that lockerroom than at a Klan rally.

jetssuck, MonstBlitz and MikeHoncho like this.
  23. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Gotta like the big middle finger Tony extended to the fans...

24. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Did anyone catch what was bleeped out? I couldnt make it out...

25. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I've never seen such gloating by a 1-7 football team, like they accomplished some thing incredible yesterday.

It's embaressing frankly. If they were 7-1, ok, play the "nobody believed in us" card. But at 1-7? Come on.

jetssuck likes this.
  26. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I don't think Tony is a bad guy to have on your staff, but I'm certain he's not good enough to be a head coach in this division.

27. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    <shoulder shrug> It will be his last as NFL head coach... of that I am certain.

28. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    They won a game with Matt Moore as the QB. Thats pretty impressive in my book. Frankly, I'd be more embarrassed if they just packed it in. JMO.

29. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Maybe im being harsh but sooner he is gone the better. We need freshening up.

30. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Good to see

31. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I think if he had the opportunity to learn under someone with a more modern idea of the game, he would do better.

His current staff isn't totally his fault. Its hard to get guys when they know your owner wants to replace you.

There aren't many coaches that would done better with the same qbs he was dealt.

He has his faults for sure and we know them. But unlike everyone else after shula, I hold little ill will for him.

I was in the same room as him and met him. When I read that players like him and respect him, it doesn't surprise me at all. Man to man, he was pretty impressive to me. Not a trace of weasel in him

But I agree. Rarely is he going to outcoach someone. Not good enough.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

32. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    He's certainly not good enough to win without a good QB, but you can do a lot worse than Sparano as HC IMO.

maynard likes this.
  33. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    [​IMG]

djphinfan likes this.
  34. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    What was different was not only the win. It was that the team took the Chiefs to the woodshed and spanked them.

Sparano can't execute the plays for the players. Before yesterday, they were tripping, falling, dropping, turnstiling, blowing everything. Yesterday everyone did what they were supposed to do, and did it together. Don't ask me why yesterday and why not before; I don't have any more of a clue than Sparano has all season. Maybe Santeria. I don't buy the Chiefs being tired after an emotional game. Not with that spanking. What we saw out there was real. Marshall looked like, well, Brandon Marshall. Reggie seemed hell-bent on proving he's an NFL back. Even Columbo --Columbo!-- was blocking, and Moore had time.

May have been a fluke, but I think they gave Sparano the game ball because he kept telling them that they really had the talent, could do it, and all they had to do was get it together. He kept believing in them. This was his reward. They never quit on him. This kind of stuff can affect a team emotionally. I can't wait to see what happens next week. Major suspense for the first time this season.

And not to worry. We'll still be able to draft a good QB. Think about it. If we went 0-16 we would have Luck and nothing else. Yesterday showed that we do have something else that can be built on besides the QB we are going to draft.

Muck likes this.
  35. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    The fans had nothing to do with the bad start. The players could give to hoots what you and I think or say.

Reasons?

1: Coaching
    2: Players not being in shape and ready (and we saw it on defense!)

and I will even blame Ross, he made Sparano a lame duck with his crap last year going after coaches with Sparano still his coach!

Muck likes this.
  36. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I see what your saying, but this team should be 4-4, maybe 3-5 right now. We are not a 1-7 team, and yes, I know, you are what your record says you are. I'm still embarrassed, hell, I'm in the heart of Jet country.

37. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Take courage, brother. Wait until you see the gloating that is going to happen if we beat the Jets. GangGreen's server will be overwhelmed by all the troll traffic.

38. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    I really like Sporano, but I know he might not be the best HC, but I think he is a players coach and he's good at emphasizing the details. What about bringing him back as our offensive line coach or some type of assistant ? Would that be possible after his contract finishes or would that just be too awkward?

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    lol

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think it has something to do with what we've seen out of this team, to quantify how much, I'am not sure Blitz, maybe I'am wrong,but I believe that its got to be hard as a professional to do all the details correctly, the training, the effort, the nutrition, the sleep, chemistry, when there is a strong perception that your fanbase is against you, and I don't think money factors in to that psyshcological aspect of this game...