1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tony Sparano lets up

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Jun 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Tony Sparano lets up
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1097395.html

Onehondo likes this.
  2. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    Lets hope our players can stay out of anymore trouble. Miami definitely provides temptations for anyone, especially professional athletes. Last thing we need is another player getting arrested.

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    would like to see Saprano push the envelope on this one:
    idle time...
    and
    we need to coach-up as much as possible to confront this season

the most important & appropriate question will not be are we better on paper this year
    but will the team play with the same intensity & purpose with the improved roster fom last year?

gafinfan likes this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Talk is cheap Vontae, lets see what ya got, if this kid puts his mind and soul into his craft, he has the ability to be scary good. I hope he really means what hes been sayin all offseason.

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  5. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I have to say I'm not a big fan of the let-up and go softer approach. I mean, it *is* only OTAs, but I don't see how more practice, and, more competition is a *bad* thing. I know it's a grind, but, hey kids; If you don't like OTAs go punch a clock at UPS, or a factory (if you can find one in the US anymore) or the ever increasing service industry.

Face it; Excellence speaks loudly in a down econemy especially. If crap is put on a plate, don't expect those entertainment dollars to stay at the same table.

That said; Sparano is the HC, and it's his rear end on the line, so......I hope it works as planned.

the 23rd likes this.
  6. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I hope the Dolphins rookies and veterans will be more disciplined and more focused as the season comes around the corner.

gafinfan likes this.
  7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Hes really creating a father like presense as our coach, his players work hard for him, he rewards them, when the time comes where Tony asks the player to run thru the wall, they will.

steveincolorado and Bpk like this.
  8. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I cannot fathom how Tony could be accused of taking a soft approach. Look at his attitude and style of leadership over the past year. It speaks to the exact opposite of soft. This is simply an instance of a general knowing his troops, rewarding them and not working them senselessly if they have gotten it down already. Also, he wants to keep motivation high. Better to give them one day off and have them motivated as hell for the next two MONTHS while unsupervised.

You don't lead from behind, just pushing someone with the whip. Leading means being out front of your men, inspiring them to WANT to follow you.

Tony's good at that.

This day off will lead to them willingly busting their butts even harder between now and training camp, imo, so as to not let their teammates and coach down.

9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    This isn't the same as UPS or a factory. It isn't the same at all.

Plus giving a reward for people working hard is a good thing.

10. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Yeah? What is it then? It's a job, right? They are getting paid, right? I mean......They *ARE* providing services, by contract, for a fee made payable by the fans of the organization they play for, right?

Where is it that I'm wrong?

I agree about the "Reward" idea, but, you know...Win me a Superbowl, and, you get a break in OTAs....Until then? Bring your lunchbox gents.

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It is a game. It is a game they happen to get paid for. It is also something that is both physical and mentally demanding. Working athletes too hard doesn't necessarily give good results. Plus showing that hard work pays off is also a good thing.

12. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    meh, Coach said they saw everything they needed to see in pajama's.. from here, they need to see them in pads. This has nothing to do with being soft, and everything about being smart. Why risk injuries just to redo things things they already have answers for..

Themole, steveincolorado and Bpk like this.
  13. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    They don't want to drain the players before traing camp. Thats when things get tough. Like someone else said, it has nothing to do with getting soft, it has everything to do with having accomplished everything they needed at this stage and keeping players fresh for traing camp and preseason.

14. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

When employees work super hard, get their work done, and are rewarded, it motivates them to work hard again the NEXT time.

when they work hard, get their work done, and are senselessly given more tasks to do, they quickly figure out there's little point getting crap right quickly. IN that case they'd probably realise they might as well take an easier pace since the copaches'll make you re-do stuff you already learned anyways.

For example, if your kid had to learn a times table, and he did in three days, would you force him to spend three more days reciting it when he already had it down? Keep practising what he already knew? Over and over? Same thing. Despite knowing it. Over and over. Reciting the times table. Again. Over and over. Again. Even though you already know it. Recite it again anyways. Over and over... again... again... (see how tedious this gets??) Talk about making a kid HATE learning.

I like Tony's approach.

djphinfan likes this.
  15. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I have no problem with the time off.
    For this team, winning the division at the very least deserves a period for the players to simply reflect on their achievement, and clearly as much for Sparano, who along with his staff, worked throughout last offseason.

Its for the families, and personal relationships of players and staff alike, that support, and play active roles in keeping mindsets healthy, focused, and driven throughout the balance of the year, implying a definitive end, and substantiative beginning, for another joyous season of football.