1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tony Sparano: No clear leader yet among quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Jul 29, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphi.../0729sparano.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=46

2. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Pretty good read, although nothing really new. I would expect McCown to pick up the new offense quicker, he has had alot of practice learning new systems. Kinda disheartening that no one has become the clear cut favorite. I know its early, but does that mean they are all equally good or equally bad? Either way, I feel confident that the staff will fine the one they want and make him as prepared as possible come gameday against the Jets.

3. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
  4. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Once upon a time Bledsoe was ahead of a qb named brady. oh yeah also another qb named mr. jessica simpson too!

;) just kidding

5. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    exactly.

saying "Josh McCown is in the best position to win the starting QB battle" is something we knew the day he was signed. he is in the best position by virtue of the fact he's a veteran. no more, no less.

it's apparently still a wide-open battle, which is both good and bad.

6. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    My thoughts:

1. I'm not surprised that there is not a clear leader, because it's only the 4th day of camp. Things probably won't be settled until somewhere around the second or third preseason game, if then. It's a little early to be making that kind of call.

2. Regardless of how he looks right now, I still think Josh McCown will be our starting QB on opening day. He's the veteran guy that was brought in to hold things over while Henne and Beck duke it out to be the "QB of the Future." McCown isn't going to wow anyone with his playmaking, but as long as he can keep defenses honest with a play-action every now and then, we should be able to pound away with our tandem of running backs.

3. Regardless of who actually starts the season, what's much more important to us as Dolphin fans is who finishes. My money's on John Beck, just because I like rooting for the underdog, and Beck has been buried in the local and national media alike. I like Henne too, but I think at the end of the day Beck edges him out.

alen1 likes this.
  7. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Id hate to see McCown win the job. Id much rather it be Beck or Henne. McCown hasnt shown anything in his career so far. I don't have anything against him, he just hasnt shown much. We have two young guys. We need to see if they are worth their draft positions... If not we need to find the answer elsewhere. I just dont think McCown is that answer. That being said... If he's in there... it may not be the best choice in my eyes, but i'll still be cheering for him and the phins. Im not sure why, but Id just much rather have one of our homegrown draft picks in there and excelling at the position.

Silverphin likes this.
  8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That is pretty much where i am at. Anyone but McCown. Even though it probably would be best for him to play the first 3 games while the line gels

9. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i think you just summarized how just about everyone on this board feels, brandon. ;)

10. Crunkcore

Crunkcore The Crunk One

Jun 17, 2008
    As long as we pick the best player that can win games for us at QB, I'll have no problem with his choice.