1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tony Sparano Press Conference - OTAs - Wed.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, May 19, 2010.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

http://www.miamidolphins.com/aquavision/video/coach-sparano-post-ota-practice-press-briefing

Marshall said Sparano would address injuries. I hope he mentions something.

- Sparano is funny. He thought a LONG time before admitting the Dolphins didn;t know about the injury before the trade. lol. He would NOT divulge anything about the type of injury.

- Says Marshall was out running the day the procedure was done. Yet he says he may hold Brandon out til training camp. Seems like an odd inconsistency. Maybe he just can't handle intense work right now.

- When Marshall arrived he introduced himself to every player the first day, went to Sparano's wife's community service, Vernon Carey's event, Ricky Williams' event, etc etc. We all knew it, but now we know Sparano really appreciates the effort.

- On relationship between Henne and Marshall: They spent extra time together throwing and catching. Also, Penny, Thiggy and White have all thrown to Marshall according to Sparano.

- On Wake: He has retained the coaching from last year, so there is pass coverage awareness, zones, crossers, vertical route coverage progress when it comes into his zone. He has NOT regressed over the offseason, plus now he is learning new defensive language. He had several good rushes the first two OTA days. (sounds promising!!! ESPECIALLY that his coverage is improving!!!)

- Working Ronnie back slowly but surely.

- undecided if Dansby or Channing will call signals. Decided to wait til Nolan decides. Sparano DID say Dansby will be one of the two ILBs. Dind;t say Channing would. I think that's an open comopetition spot.

- Notes that the ball 'finds' Dansby. Tackle for loss today. Forced a fumble. Broke on a ball in the passing game. Sounds like a big play guy. Opposite of Crowder.

- On the Free Safety spot: We are looking at CHRIS CLEMONS and RESHAD JONES at Free Safety. Those are the two guys they are looking at for now. Culver played Strong Safety in OTAs with Y. Bell. Jason Allen sounds like an afterthought.

- Clemons communication level has been good, but still needs more time to prove to his teammates that he leads the secondary well. Will his teammates trust what he says, asks Sparano. Secondary gave up a couple big plays today, so that is part of if the teammates start to trust.

- "I was fired up out here yesterday watching those linebackers" (or something like that).. then "There's gonna be some hard decisions."

- Noted Halfback (6) and WR's in addition to LB as areas with 'hard decisions' on whom to cut

- Doing a very slow install this time, but will be MUCH more next time.

- Grove competing with Berger at Center (I think that's just to make sure Berger is ready when Grove inevitably gets injured)

- Says there has been consistent offseason improvement in Turner's receiving skills, he's been out throwing and catching with QB's.

- Sparano wantcs to see a LOT of Pat White and Tyler Thigpen. He doesn;t need to see Penny. Translation: He knows he'll keep Henne and Penny, but has to decide on Thigpen versus White so needs a LOT of information and observation on which to base that decision. He is just building Penny's arm stamina and rehabbing it. 40-55 throws per day and will increase gradually for Penny.

- Most Confusing Doublespeak - When asked about Pennington's role versus Thigpen and White Sparano rambled incoherently. I honestly don't think Tony knows WHAT he should do about having all three of those guys.

- Joking about Richie Incognito... : "I think we're gonna call him Richie Sparano." and he laughs. Wow, think he likes him a bit? Remember, this is a former O-line coach. he love shim some Incognito. Sparano alluded to having had a good meeting with Richie when he joined about his temper. Wouldn;t say it outright though. He says it's a blank slate for Incognito and players who arrive in Miami.

- "Will Allen's not goin' anywhere... We're excited to get him back... Given the opportunities, which he'll have plenty of..." So, Will Allen is DEFINITELY a coach favorite, but he does say it's a 3-way competition at Cornerback.

- Torbor had surgery, is close to 100%.

- Tony hesitates when asked if he expects to see Marshall by training camp. "We'll see." Not good, man.

- On Pat White's progression through the offseason: changed his mechanics and delivery, his footwork improved, he throws with more anticipation and timing now too, put in a lot of time.

- No change on Smiley front.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Richie Sparano?

Zoiks!

So Richie is a bad tempered Olineman who can swear like an old school sailor and loves playing offensive line?

3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I think Ritchie "Sparano" will be the new answer to "Which teammate would you want with you in a bar fight?"

finyank13 likes this.
  4. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I wanna know who put that ball on the ground......which player tell me!!!! Dansby stripped who?? somebody find out!!!

Bpk likes this.