1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Took a Break

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The_Dark_Knight, Jan 25, 2024.

1. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    LOL you keep cracking me up! Thanks so much. Come back when the Dolphins lose the players I just mentioned because of cap space.

The Dolphins could have 200 million in cap space if they would only cut all their players LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    Tua was the only QB of those QB's that did not have at least a 2-1 TD ratio against playoff teams.

JJ_79 and resnor like this.
  3. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    It may be silly, BUT that is how the Dolphins are operating.

4. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    That crime is still being committed in Miami.

resnor likes this.
  5. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Agreed

6. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Not a bit disingenuous. He had a very efficient 1st yr in TN, as I wrote. He averaged something like 210-220 ypg passing in a very controlled, run oriented offense. His second year was also good, but after he was asked to shoulder the load of a full season he reverted back to the same RT he was in Miami.

7. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    You could also argue that the Sun is cold. RT played well for only throwing the ball just over 200 times. As soon as he started to play full seasons he went back to his below average to average self.

8. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    it's like you're ignoring 2020, where he threw the ball almost 500 times, and he had a 106 rating while throwing for almost 4k yards and 33tds to 7ints.

He had as many rushing tds as ints that year.

9. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    It’s almost like you didn’t read my posts talking about his very good 2nd year in TN.

10. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I'm just saying, you said that when he went to a full season he did worse. That isn't necessarily true.

My only point is that he also had several good seasons, no different from Tua.

11. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    But that’s just not true. He played efficiently while doing very little in his first year in TN. His second year was very good, then he proceeded to trend back down to what he looked like in Miami. In Miami he had 3 average and 3 below average seasons. In TN, he had one great half season, 1 very good season, 2 below average, and 1 average season. So in 4 full seasons in TN he had 3 average to below average seasons. All with the same head coach, a fantastic running game and oline. And his 2 best seasons he played with the number 10 and number 4 ranked defenses.

12. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Sure. Do you think that the team and coaching Tannehill had his first 4 years was comparable to what Tua had this year?

All the excuses you use for Tua apply to Tannehill, including new offensive schemes every season.

13. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    How you calling 2020 a "good season"??

He was elite

14. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    If you’re going to quote me at least don’t leave words out.

I wrote that his second season there was “very good”.

I personally wouldn’t call it “elite”, however.

I’d think that an “elite” season would entail leading the league in at least one stat, no?

RT led the league in, *checks notes*… nothing. The Titans passing offense was ranked 23rd that year. The Dolphins passing offense was ranked 20th that season, BTW. Lmao

RT was 15th in yards passing and 23rd in average passing yards per game. He was 5th in PR, which is great, but he was 18th in passing attempts. Once again we see a run heavy offense, with a great defense backing them up, and RT not really standing out.

resnor likes this.
  15. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    He lead in rating for like 3/4 of the season didn't he?

My point was more you guys didn't give him the same grace you give Tua.

16. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    If you go back and look at some of my posts I always said RT was a better QB than what he showed here and needed a better team to play better. I was wrong. He did play better for roughly two seasons, but then trended back to what he really was, a very average QB. And his teams were still very good. He didn’t have a Tyreek, but he had an overall better team. He still played average. Tua played better with Parker and Gisecki, the same level oline, and a poor defense than RT did.

resnor likes this.
  17. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Henry had 2,000 yards in 2020 and was an absolute force to be reckoned with that season.

Tannehill didn't even throw for 4,000 yards.

18. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    He threw for 3800 dude

19. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    You forget what Tannehill did with Hartline and Bess.

Let's be clear, I'm not trying to argue whether ones is better than the other. Just that Tannehill had absolute dog ****, he had a new OC like every season. He learned like a new offense almost every year.

Tannehill had about as ****ty a situation as Tua had under Flores. I think that many people (maybe not you) were too hard on Tannehill, and many of those people are too easy on Tua, imo.

I myself went to bat over Tannehill for years. Now I'm on the opposite side with Tua. I just don't think there's any good answer. Blowing it all up sucks, but I think extending Tua just pushes the rebuild off about 3 years, but I don't think we win a Super Bowl in those 3 years.

If we do, extending Tua will be worth it. If we don't, it's wasting years.

20. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Doing a Panthers is the worst thing to do, especially if you completely miss on the quarterback like they did. They are set back for years.

21. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yeah I get that, and don't disagree.

22. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I remember and also wanted to get RT more weapons, an oline, and defense to see what he could do. He had all of that in TN, played well for 1 1/2 years, and then went back to his norm. Average. I want to see what Tua can do with a better oline, less injured teammates, and a better defense. Like RT had in TN. Tua has played better under similar circumstances that RT had here so it seems like it would be prudent to not just get rid of him before that attempt is made.

23. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    When we traded Tannehill to Tennessee, that season should have been a slap in the face wake up call to the Dolphins organization as a whole.

Like Resnor, I was a Tannehill supporter and defender. The man was being asked to make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t. This team offensively SUCKED!!!! And everyone in a simpleton manner pointed their proverbial fingers at Tannehill and said it was HIS fault…that HE sucked.

Tannehill goes to Tennessee, an organization that believed in the old fashioned concept of building a football TEAM. A physical offensive line, a stout running game, big strong WRs…all they needed was the right quarterback to bring it all together…and Tannehill did just that.

Meanwhile in Miami, the offensive line was just an after thought (and still is), the running game at the time still non-existent, a receiver corps that was mediocre at best with no true threat. But everyone pointed their fingers at Tannehill.

If folks go back and look at the pre-draft threads in 2019, I wasn’t hot on the idea of drafting Tagovailoa. Not for all of the reasons so many list here playing Monday morning quarterback. No, my reasoning was to follow the basic concept of building a TEAM first then get the right quarterback to lead it. Kind of like what Marino was blessed with…inherited a team that had just gone to the Super Bowl. Alas, that’s not what happened. The Dolphins eagerly pulled the trigger on Tua. So be it.

This team though still has holes, first and foremost that offensive line. If we could just get that damned line equation solved where Tua didn’t have to throw within 2 seconds of the snap…that Mostert and Achane had runnings lanes to accommodate an Mack truck, everything else would fall into place…and these silly discussions would cease to exist.

M1NDCRlME likes this.