Top 10 best singers of all time (Or something like that).
43 replies
"Fin D wrote:
when she sings it sounds like two to three people are actually singing to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=_QNEf9oGw8o;list=RDEMetV-oNHwrJcAvZ1wJOuGOg
That’s stylistic engineering. Dave Grohl always doubles his vocal tracks.
The music is so bad! But she’s got a strong voice.
"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.
"Mcduffie81 wrote:
That’s stylistic engineering. Dave Grohl always doubles his vocal tracks.
The music is so bad! But she’s got a strong voice.
Its not. She actually sounds like that.
"Fin D wrote:
Its not. She actually sounds like that.
Those are vocal effects. If you don’t think so I’d like to see why you disagree.
"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.
"Mcduffie81 wrote:
Those are vocal effects. If you don’t think so I’d like to see why you disagree.
An ex girlfriend who was a singer herself, saw her sing live a few times at a few smaller venues. And that’s what it was like according to her.
"Fin D wrote:
An ex girlfriend who was a singer herself, saw her sing live a few times at a few smaller venues. And that’s what it was like according to her.
Here’s a version without that vocal effect.
"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.
Its always interesting how different people can look at the same question, and come up with answers that are so vastly different from one another. There are a few that were listed that I would have specifically called out as some of the worst popular singers of my lifetime, had the question been reversed, lol.
But some of the people who I think have the best voices (and that's how I interpret the question) are, in addition to others who have already been mentioned:
Karen Carpenter
James Taylor
Carly Simon
Kenny Loggins
Luther Vandros
Lionel Richie
Sarah McLachlan
I don't listen to Mariah Carey, at all, but from a technical standpoint, she would go on the list. This girl below wouldn't go on my Top 10 list, but her main inspiration and the artist she is covering in this song, Sade, would. That being said, Amber Mark is incredibly young and her natural dark, smoky, but warm timbre is completely unfair (she's a looker as well). Props to the particular run at 1:49-1:53, which was a Sade trademark. Sade personally signed off on Amber's cover.
This guy would go on my Top 10 as well- incredibly adept at a wide range of styles. I'm a fan of his more gospel-y stuff, but he sounds pretty at home when singing songs like "They Call the Wind Mariah", etc. Versatile guy.
Edit: I see @183 has mentioned Sam Cooke already.
Edit 2: I'm a douche, I see tons of people have mentioned Sam Cooke. I agree with all of you!
Other ones previously mentioned that I agree with:
Ella Fitzgerald (the queen of jazz singers, on that note I'd also nominate Mel Torme)
Brian Wilson (one of the best falsettos and melody-writers ever, melodies so painfully beautiful)
Ron Isley (style style style)
Aretha Franklin (effortless, she stills the air and moves it at the same time when she sings)
On a lesser level, Louis Prima (he gets the nod for just being incredibly unique and gregarious).
Just going to leave this here. Guy sounded incredible live back in his heyday.
C'mon guys. Also surprised no one mentioned Brad Delp from Boston, as well.
Boston is one of my favorite bands. I have three of their albums and it rocks. But though unique, I don't think his voice is "good".
There’s no right or wrong with these answers. When I started this thread it was really a thread for your own personal favorites, not “who’s the best” despite the tongue in cheek thread title.
Some people love technically in voices. I personally don’t care all that much about the notes or range a singer can hit in MOST cases.
I tend to value natural vocal tone or unique voices. Of course everyone is trying to be different and some singers take it over the top trying to be unique and that’s an instant turn off.
"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.
<3
"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.
"Pauly wrote:
Diana Damrau: The setup for the “Der Holle Rache”, or The Queen of the Night Aria, is that the queen’s daughter has returned after running away from home and being captured by the Queen’s rival. The Queen feeling betrayed sends her daughter back to kill her rival. This can be played many ways, a queen ordering a subject, a stern mother enforcing duty, as persuasion (you’ll do it if you love me), as a guilt trip. Diana Damrau plays it as pure rage.
See, this is one of those things I don’t dare act like I know what I’m listening to when I hear this. No doubt it’s beautiful. But that genre is so foreign to me that I can’t really appreciate it the same way you do. That’s like next level stuff.
"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.
"Mcduffie81 wrote:
See, this is one of those things I don’t dare act like I know what I’m listening to when I hear this. No doubt it’s beautiful. But that genre is so foreign to me that I can’t really appreciate it the same way you do. That’s like next level stuff.
Well the best way I can explain this song is it’s like listening to Ella Fitzgerald singing scat. The singer is using her voice as a musical instrument, and the orchestration is leaving holes for the singer’s voice to fill. It’s more like listening to a trumpet solo than listening to a regular song.
"Pauly wrote:
Well the best way I can explain this song is it’s like listening to Ella Fitzgerald singing scat. The singer is using her voice as a musical instrument, and the orchestration is leaving holes for the singer’s voice to fill. It’s more like listening to a trumpet solo than listening to a regular song.
That helps. It’s certainly an attained taste the way I see it. I love music but I don’t take music as serious as I experience Opera. It’s a bit too technical and moody for me personally. I don’t mean to sound shallow, close minded or dense....but I’ve probably been called worse.
"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.
"Mcduffie81 wrote:
That helps. It’s certainly an attained taste the way I see it. I love music but I don’t take music as serious as I experience Opera. It’s a bit too technical and moody for me personally. I don’t mean to sound shallow, close minded or dense....but I’ve probably been called worse.
I’ll let you in on a little secret - going to the opera is like going to a Michael Bay movie. The plot is ridiculous, the acting and sets are over the top but the explosions/music are next level great. To get started don’t try to pick up the nuances of the music, just enjoy the show. It helps a lot if you have a friend who knows the plot to fill you in as the actions unfold. Probably the worst way to start is to listen to “the top 10 opera songs of all time”.
Sam Cooke - The GOAT, hands down
Marvin Gaye
Smokey Robinson
Ray Charles
Ella Fitzgerald
Billie Holliday
Van Morrison - His vocals with Them....damn.
John Lennon I'm a Paul guy, but John had a cooler voice
Carl Wilson - He sang lead on God Only Knows. Nuff said.
Phil Lynott - Best rock n roll singer ever
Buddy Holly - Invented everything for the next 50+ years
Whitney Houston
Prince
Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin