1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 10 NFL Left Tackles - Long at #2...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colorado Dolfan, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/21646/power-rankings-top-10-left-tackles

What do you all think? Long #2 by the slimmest of margins under Joe Thomas. I'd pick Long every time, but that's probably just the homer in me... :wink2:

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Thomas is the only one I'd consider as possibly better than Long, so I'm ok with it.

3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Before this season, Joe Thomas belonged ahead of Long, but Jake Long injured had a better year than Thomas, and the lack of consistency is a hit.

Ryan Clady at #3 is the egregious thing. He got a lot of press for a no-sack season, but gave up loads of pressures that year in an offense that was quite helpful to him.

4. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I don't care much about media talking heads. I trust the PFF/Player Top 100. Joe Thomas and Clady benefit from media hype. Thomas is number 2 sure, but Long is the man.

[​IMG]

I'm not saying those names above Thomas are better than him. I just think that article proves how the media can make guys into better players than they really are. Donald Penn is the name I really mean. McNeill has name recognition as well. Then again, I'm taking a Power ranking by mediaites just a bit too seriously.

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Long will be ranked ahead of Thomas by the players in the Top100 countdown on NFL network.

Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong having Thomas at LT, but Big Jake should have the better career.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    A minor observation that list, only Whitworth, Free, Peters and Sims were not #1 or #2 draft picks, at a glance most were #1 picks and maybe 5 or 6 were top 5 picks.

7. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    There will always be differences of opinion .Either choice is good .I think Thomas has the benefit of more experience but Jake will catch up to that very soon.:yes:

8. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I'm biased. I watch Jake Long every game, and I only watch Joe Thomas when we play the Browns. But, who cares? Jake Long is unbelievable. He's well on his way to a HOF career.

9. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Most linemen picked in the top 10 actually turn out to be pretty damned good. Especially th eones that went #1 overall. I think the prevailing wisdom is that in order to even be considered that high as an offensive linemen, you HAVE to be great. So scouts are almost doubley convinced to take you.

10. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Long is a unique talent. Even more so for a left tackle in today's era.

11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, there is the line of thinking that says "you do not have to use a top draft pick on an offensive lineman" that is not quite how things work in the NFL any longer, Jimmy Johnson's run of "make do" Olines ended in Miami with Houck's failure with Alabi and Toledo and the collapse of 07.

12. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    Jake Long wrecks *****es. HE SHUT DOWN JULIUS ****ING PEPPERS WITH ONE ARM.

djphinfan likes this.
  13. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Pretty sure Jake Long gave up a pair of sacks in that game...

Anyway, Jake Long is a special talent and I don't think anyone should take issue with his coming in #2 slightly behind Joe Thomas. It's academic anyway. Just as long as it's not Ryan Clady. :)

14. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009