1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 25 Films For 2012

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Da 'Fins, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Not that it matters but below is my attempt to rank movies I saw in 2012 (Most I've seen in one year in a long, long time - no wonder I'm broke; though my wife and I do see a lot of movies). It is always difficult for me to rank movies for three reasons.
    • First, movies I think are the best are sometimes different from movies I like the most (one of my favorite films is A Good Year, 2006, though it was not by any means the "Best Film" of that year. I still love the movie and have watched it probably 10+ times).
    • Second, I have a hard time ranking films that differ significantly in genre.
    • And, third, it is difficult to overcome cultural "influence" (based on what films are nominated for awards). I try to ignore critics before I go see a movie to take away bias - but it is always difficult.

(not seen but wanted to or planned to and so haven't rated yet - I'm sure some would jump in pretty high: - Life of Pi; The Master; The Impossible; Parental Guidance; The Vow; Lawless; The Sessions; Rust and Bone). Also, I can't recall a year in which there were this many quality movies at the top of the list (better movies at the very top, but the top 6-8 are all very competitive).

With that perhaps uninteresting intro - here's perhaps an even more uninteresting list of films and my rankings (my favorites differ to some degree with the rankings - though they are impacted by that) - subject to change at any moment:

1a. Silver Linings Playbook

1b. Zero Dark Thirty

(these top two are a virtual tie for me. Very difficult to differentiate because they are so different). I'm sure as the years go by I will grow to like one more than the other.

3. Argo (almost 1c - also difficult as it resonated with me since I was "tuned in" during that time to all the news of that event)

4. Lincoln

5. Les Miserables

6. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (very moving film)

7. Django

8. Bernie (I don't think Hollywood "gets" how great Jack Black was in this film; nor how true to Bible-belt life it was).

9. Moonrise Kingdom

10. Dark Knight Rises

11. Skyfall

12. Flight

13. Amour (Hollywood loved it likely because of the subject matter. I liked it a lot as well - but for very different reasons, I'm sure).

14. Jack Reacher (better than expected)

15. Beasts of the Southern Wild

16. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (You had me at England, India & the coterie of actors).

17. This is 40

18. Safe House

19. The Hobbit (too much of a repeat of Lord of the Rings feel to it - love the stories; loved parts; but disappointed a bit).

20. Brave

21. Looper

22. Prometheus

23. The Grey (good drama and acting. Too depressing).

24. Salmon Fishing In The Yemen

25. Contraband

Vengeful Odin, Starry31 and Alex44 like this.
  2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Wow man....I didn't even see 25 movies this year. Probably not even 10 that I can remember (if we are just counting new ones). I'll probably check out a few from your list.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    My top 25

1.) Dark Knight Rises.

That is all.

Da 'Fins, Ray Finkle and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  4. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    ha Yeah, I've only seen 5 on that list but appreciate you putting the list together Da 'Fins. A movie I just watched that I really enjoyed was Wreck-It Ralph. I've been involved with videogames since I got my NES at age 5, but I don't think you have to be a big gamer to like the movie. Though I do think that being able to pick out a lot of the gaming references is a plus. I'm a Sarah Silverman fan and think she does a great job, nice little story and overall good movie.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Life of Pi isn't on there?

azfinfanmang likes this.
  6. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Solid solid movie!!!

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You just read the list only, didn't you?

You damn kids and your MTV attention span.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I really need to see 1a and 1b. I loved argo. Good list!

Da 'Fins likes this.
  9. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Been meaning to see that as well. Forgot about it and left it off my "to see" list. A few friends of mine loved it. Will put that on the list as well.

Starry31 likes this.
  10. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Because I didn't see it (if you look above the top list, you'll see it's in my "to see" list).