1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

top 50 pro football players this year

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by adamprez2003, Dec 10, 2009.

1. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Interesting list. No Dolphins but then we're always disrespected. Fine by me. Almost prefer it that way :lol:

1. Peyton Manning, QB, Colts: The best QB of the Super Bowl era having his best season.

2. Chris Johnson, RB, Titans: His speed and versatility are game-changing.

3. Jared Allen, DE, Vikings: Sack master fundamentally alters how offenses play Minnesota.

4. Drew Brees, QB, Saints: Ringleader and commander of one of the greatest offenses ever.

5. Patrick Willis, LB, 49ers: Incredibly dominant player deserves more spotlight.

6. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Cardinals. The complete package at wideout, without the trappings of most.

7. Ryan Clady, T, Broncos. As awesome right away as Anthony Munoz was once upon a time.

8. Andre Johnson, WR, Texans. A very close 1A to Fitzgerald.

9. Brett Favre, QB, Vikings. Cut back on the INTs to have his best year in a decade.

10. James Harrison, LB, Steelers. Reigning DPOY still in the mix.

11. Tom Brady, QB, Patriots. Still playing extremely well but not at his sharpest.

12. Dwight Freeney, DE, Colts. Still an elite pass rusher, has anchored against the run better this year.

13. Darnell Dockett, DT, Cardinals. Disruptive interior force sets the tone for an underrated D.

14. Will Smith, DE, Saints. Major part of the defensive revival in New Orleans, 8 sacks in last 5 games.

15. Adrian Peterson, RB, Vikings. Always a threat but not as complete as once thought.

16. Charles Woodson, CB, Packers. Setting the tone for one of the league’s top defenses.

17. Albert Haynesworth, DT, Redskins. Not his fault the team isn’t very good.

18. Philip Rivers, QB, Chargers. Fearless and confident, with the talent to back it up.

19. Lance Briggs, LB, Bears. His stellar play is lost in a lost season in Chicago.

20. Maurice Jones-Drew, RB, Jaguars. Does more by himself than any other top RB.

The Rest of the List

21. Antonio Gates, TE, Chargers
    22. Elvis Dumervil, LB, Broncos
    23. Darren Sharper, S, Saints
    24. Demarcus Ware, OLB, Cowboys
    25. Randy Moss, WR, Patriots
    26. Troy Polamalu, S, Steelers
    27. Thomas Jones, RB, Jets
    28. Jay Ratliff, DT, Cowboys
    29. Darelle Revis, CB, Jets
    30. Shaun Rogers, NT, Browns
    31. Trent Cole, DE, Eagles
    32. Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Raiders
    33. Aaron Rodgers, QB, Packers
    34. Reggie Wayne, WR, Colts
    35. Kevin Williams, DT, Vikings
    36. London Fletcher, LB, Redskins
    37. Steven Jackson, RB, Rams
    38. Haloti Ngata, DT, Ravens
    39. Jon Beason, LB, Panthers
    40. Calvin Johnson, WR, Lions
    41. Donovan McNabb, QB, Eagles
    42. Wes Welker, WR, Patriots
    43. Tony Gonzalez, TE, Falcons
    44. Brian Cushing, LB, Texans
    45. Nick Mangold, C, Jets
    46. Aaron Schobel, DE, Bills
    47. Anquan Boldin, WR, Cardinals
    48. Davin Joseph, G, Buccaneers
    49. Antoine Winfield, CB, Vikings
    50. Ed Reed, S, Ravens

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/14913/20091209/top_50_players_in_the_nfl_today/

2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think J. Long probably deserved to be on the list.

Hey adamprez2003, do you remember the long argument we had a couple of years ago where you refused to believe that Brees was or would ever be top QB?

adamprez2003 likes this.
  3. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    yeah. He's done it consistently enough for too long that I have to give it to him as much as it pains me to :lol: I hate midgets playing QB and because of his success every college QB prospect that stands 6'2" or under has a huge followuing that always points to him when arguing that size doesnt matter.

To tell you the truth, the thing that impresses me most about him is how relatively healthy he's been able to stay. I was sure he wouldve been on IR by now at least once or twice

You were solidly in his camp. Good job Rafael :up: I tip my cap

rafael likes this.
  4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Thank you sir. :up:

Not to get the thread completely off track but have you come around on Henne yet? I remember you hated him before that draft.

5. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i didnt hate him. i had Flacco and Ryan ahead of him by one level. What I hated about Henne most was that if our FO was thinking about going for him in the 2nd, they wouldnt get him (I thought he was a first rounder) and two by going for him it would cost us Ryan. I liked his attitude, his tougness, his arm. I didnt think he was consistent enough in his accuracy and I thought he had absolutely horrible pocket presence. As soon as we got him into camp however, I could see that his pocket presence wass much better than it appeared to me in Michigan. So while still a bit sketchy, it was now acceptable rather than the Drew Bledsoe staue like presence I thought he was going to bring. His acuracy is fine short and medium but his long accuracy is still as poor as it was in Michigan. So in essence the weaknesses I saw that made me hesitate about him are still there but due to the fact that they are to a lesser degree, his overall grade goes up dramatically because his strengths now dominate. Ive been singing the praises of Henne since the rookie preseason when I saw that his flaws werent as pronounced as I originally feared

Here was my review of him after we drafted him

2) QB Chad Henne 6’2 7/8” 230 4.96 - Someday we will probably know what the original strategy regarding QB was in this year’s draft. Right now I don’t think we do. Obviously we showed interest in Henne. But what if Flacco was still available? Brohm was probably not in consideration but might have been a fallback position if Henne and Flacco were both gone by the time 32 rolled around. The feeling is that Henne would’ve been the choice at 32 until Merling became available. Then as luck would have it, Henne was still around by the time our second pick in the second round was up. Clearly the football gods were smiling upon Parcells and company day one.

Henne is slightly on the short side but is solidly built. He is thick bodied. He is extremely smart and possesses a strong arm that can make every throw. He throws a tight spiral and can get the deep pass out on a rope. He has nice touch and can anticipate routes nicely. He has a quick release. He has shown good leadership qualities and has excellent intangibles as evidenced by being a four year starter for QB machine Michigan. He is tough physically and mentally having played through a separated shoulder.

Henne unfortunately doesn’t feel pressure and will probably always take unnecessary sacks. He seems to need a perfect pocket in front of him so that he can step into his throws. Pocket mobility is poor to average and he is not good at improvising on the move when the pocket collapses. His accuracy is inconsistent and he has a tendency to sail the ball on occasion which will lead to unnecessary interceptions in the pros. He takes too long to decide on who to throw too and has a tendency to lock on his receivers. His footwork is poor.

A lot of Henne’s flaws can be improved under the tutelage of Dolphins QB Coach David Lee but its probably too much to ask him to start his rookie season. He averaged approximately 200 yds passing pergame with a 60% completion average. 22 TDs and 8 ints over the course of a 13 game season was basically what he produced at Michigan every year approximately.

A classic pocket passer in the mold of Drew Bledsoe, Henne landed in a perfect system for him. A run dominated, play action passing attack that will emphasize a huge offensive line will give him a chance to be successful in Miami. I doubt there are more than ten teams on which Henne could be successful but Miami is definitely one of them. The key to his success will be his accuracy. If he can improve his accuracy after a year or two of David Lee’s tutelage he should be able to thrive in this system.

Bottom line he is never going to be great but with hard work on his part he could become a poor man’s Bledsoe or Simms

Grade B- ( fits the system but how much better is he than McCown and Beck?)

Prospects bypassed WR Dexter Jackson, CB Terrell Thomas, TE Martellus Bennett

Compares to Kerry Collins, Matt Hasselbeck, John Navarre, Brian Griese

http://forums.thephins.com/showthread.php?t=7428&highlight=flipper

as you can see the biggest fear was mobility, pocket presence and accuracy. Still concerns but to a lesser degree now in my mind which elevates him as a prospect substantially

gunn34 and rafael like this.
  6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Thanks. My recollection was of you saying you would throw up if we drafted him or something similar. That's different than saying you thought him a first rounder, of course my recollection could be inaccurate. I had him rated a little behind Ryan, but not much. I wondered if your strong reaction against Henne was based on Henne's skills or your man crush on Ryan.

7. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    more about matt ryan really. ryan was a sure thing, henne had some things to work on. after 8 years of searching for a QB, I didnt want to risk it.