1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOPGUN: Maverick

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Galant, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    [​IMG]

Image taken from a Tom Cruise tweet.

The nostalgic part of me wants this to succeed. The rest of me knows it won't...probably.

80's movies existed in a less critical environment where things being unrealistic wasn't as criticised as it is now, and where things could just be 'cool' or fun. Really not sure Top Gun can or will translate to today. Then there's the fact that Tom Cruise tends to be front and centre whereas he'll be a teacher in this film. Will it focus on him, or the pilots...? And do we need that story telling again...?

Or am I just getting cynical in my old age?

cuchulainn and danmarino like this.
  2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'm sure it will be a fun movie with zero substance. definitely not something I'd watch in a theatre

ToddPhin likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Is it a propaganda film funded by the military like the first one?

Destroyer likes this.
  4. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    I don't think the first Top Gun was funded by the military. Although, the military did charge Paramount in the use of it's equipment, supplies, and locations.

5. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland

I want to thank you for saying this because it made me google to see if I could find any truth to that. Which led me to this article which made me die of laughter. http://www.cracked.com/article_24593_6-movies-you-didnE28099t-know-were-propaganda.html

Back on topic. I'm interested but doubt I'll go to the movies to see it unless the trailer looks amazing when it's released. Days Of Thunder was always my favorite 80's/90's Cruise movie. I'm droppping the hammer!

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Yeah, there are various accounts of how much financial assistance the military gave the movie, but it was a lot. And more importantly, they had creative control over the thing, making it a two hour ad for the Navy. And if audiences don't know that going in, its really shady and underhanded.

7. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Cruise is interesting, in that he was acting in major movies for about 20 years before he had one that I really enjoyed - Minority Report. I'd seen a lot of the earlier ones, but none were a favorite, though the MI movies are all enjoyable.

8. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I don't think that's really true. The military didn't have creative control over Top Gun. They also didn't give any financial assistance to the film. They received money for, as I wrote earlier, the use of their equipment and things. When a writer or producer approaches the Pentagon and asks for access to military equipment, structures, etc they have to submit their script for vetting. That's reasonable, IMO.

I mean, sure, there are conspiracy theories out there that say differently, but those same conspiracies claim that the Pentagon has also controlled all movies from James Bond to Transformers to all of the DC and Marvel movies. And that's just the movies. They also say that the military controls TV shows like Oprah, Jay Leno, Cupcake Wars, PBS, and The History Channel, to name a few. This is just ridiculous.

The Navy did eventually use Top Gun as a recruitment tool, however. And I see nothing shady or underhanded about that.

cuchulainn likes this.
  9. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Just rewatch the original. No way a remake will be able to touch it.
    It'll lack the magic & substance of the original just the way 2.0 Point Break and Total Recall did.
    I'll be shocked if there isn't pressure to Hollywoodize the hell out of it and turn it into another forgettable cookie cutter.

Boik14, cuchulainn and danmarino like this.
  10. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014

Yeah, the 1st one was too good. I was only 12 years old when it came out, so maybe it's just nostalgia, and even though the writing, acting etc wasn't the greatest, Top Gun is a movie I will watch every time I see it on TV.

cuchulainn and ToddPhin like this.