1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tough roster decisions for Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Carey is only a satisfactory RT now?

2. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Probably the best thing is to assign the franchise tag to Carey and hope he's willing to sign the deal. Some are of the opinion that's what they're going to do, anyway.

3. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    To address each player he mentions in the article with my own opinion

Vernon Carey - Hope to have him back. He is a lot better than some on this site want to admit. His streak of 60 straight starts and his ability to play, and play well, 4 of the 5 positions on the line makes him invaluable. The rumor is he will be franchised which I don't like to hear since the franchise number for tackles is a lot higher than he probably deserves, but it's not that easy to just find another RT. Offensive line is a position built on trust and familiarity. It would take a while for a new RT to get used to the scheme and the other guys on the line. So IMO I think we need to bring him back.

Channing Crowder - Channing is a tackling machine. He's strong and physical and a good locker room leader. The problem is he's not that observant. He can bring the ball carrier down but hasn't developed the skills to diagnose a play and snuff it out before it gets started. He has no INTs in 4 years and I'm not sure of the stats on FF, Sacks and Tackles for loss but I know he doesn't have many of any of those. I would like to bring him back but fear he is going to be asking for more than he's realistically worth and see us parting ways with him.

Jason Allen - Is the experiment over? So many excuses have been made for this kid and yes he has shown glimpses of what he could be but that's just it, glimpses. He has had 3 years and has not developed into any consistent form of safety or DB. I know he keeps having his position changed but you would think that through all the coaches and all the D coordinators if he had the talent he would have had this chance by now. I say good riddance.

Ernest Wilford - No need to even go into this one. He's got to go. His cap number is too high and his production is too low.

Vonnie Holliday - The writer brings up some very valid points regarding Vonnie. I would hate to see him go. As he points out he was a great locker room influence and a team captain. A guy who helps out the youngsters and who's stats weren't particularly bad. But his cap number is high and we have a lot of money invested in Merling who hasn't shown up quite yet and a guy in Langford who could very well be a beast for years to come. I don't know how to handle this situation and am glad I don't have to but I do hope to see him back.

Andre' Goodman - Goodman has to come back. Even if it's as a nickel. He had what 4, 5 interceptions in the last 4 games of the season? He wants to come back and he seems like a guy that has the mentality of this team. Not a big name. Not a real stud at his position. But a guy who goes out and works hard, gives it his all and plays TEAM BALL. It would be a damn shame if he's not back.

Yeremiah Bell - As I addressed Bell in a previous thread, I want him back. He's definately a guy we need to keep. However some are saying he's the #1 safety in free agency and his durability causes me concern for giving him big money like that. He's played 1 full season in the past 3, maybe 4 if I'm remembering correctly and I don't want that much cap space taken up by a guy who MAY end up on IR again.

Renaldo Hill - I confess I don't know that much about Hill and can't make a truely informed opinion on him but the safety market in Free Agency looks rather weak and I'm not too intimately familiar with the safety class in the draft. Whatever happens with him happens imo. Doesn't seem like he'd be that big of a loss to the team if he's asking for too much money or we don't have the room but also has familiarity with the system and Bell, Allen and GOodman and should be retained if the price is right

Anyway that's my take on those guys. Again these were all just my opinions. If you don't agree that's fine. I'm open for discussion. Just keep it constructive please :)

Sceeto likes this.
  4. larfo2224

larfo2224 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Box Elder, South Dakota
    I would love to see Vonnie Holliday stay for at least one more year. He is one of the team leaders and needs to be treated with respect and dignity for what he has done the past couple of years.

5. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Carey will either get re-signed or tagged. Either way, I think he stays here. He's proven his worth, not only as a versatile G or T, but the fact that since he's been here, he's arguably been our best OL save for perhaps this year with Long on board...granted, there hasn't been much competition till this year with Long either...

Crowder - This is a tough one. There is one or two better guys we could get in FA and then there's the draft for filling the hole if he were cut. He's simply not a playmaker. But other than Ray-Ray, who in FA at that position is a playmaker ?? Bart Scott is a solid choice and he's my choice to have him in Crowder's spot, but is he really a playmaker or has he been benifiting from being with Ray-Ray, Suggs and Reed ?? The key with Crowder will be the money he's asking. He's got his limitations and we've all seen them. He's solid but just not great. On a team that is devoid of 'spectacular' on the D (save for an aging Porter), that doesn't bode well for him.

Holliday - He's the one that will hurt the most. Between Langford, Merling and Starks, we can fill the void that dumping him would create, while we might get the same production from those guys that we got from Holliday, we'd suffer in leadership for sure. But I think his $5.7M cap hit is prohibitive to him staying on...

Goodman, Hill - I'll lump these two together. I think we need an infusion of our own thru the draft to replace these guys, but not necessarily this year. The secondary was at it's best when both were in the game. Neither is great, or is a game changer but both, along with W. Allen are very solid. I'd love to see us keep both (as I think they'll both come at a price that is worthy of their skillset) and then infuse the team thru the draft or even FA as long as it's a young guy. Of course, I'd pee myself if we were able to pick up Asumogha but that seems unlikely...Second on the list would be Atogwe (I'd probably pee myself for him as well).

Bell - Simple...we need him, we should re-sign him. He'll be pricier than most of us want, due to his injury history, but he's the one difference maker we have in the secondary right now.

Jason Allen - Well, I really have mixed emotions about him...I think he's salvageble. I think he can be a complementary DB in our scheme, but he'll have to solidified with a particular role. I don't think this staff yet know where they want to play him or where he's best suited. Part of the problem is that he's been moved around from position to position since he's been here. Part of the problem is that he was brought in here under Saban and knew what the Nictator wanted him to do...since then, he's been rather lost...I think he may be best at S, but for crying out loud, if this regime is going to keep him, put him where you think he'd be best and leave him there to develop. I usually believe that you can determine what a guys role is on a team in 3 yrs, but this is an exception. However, if they pick up a name brand DB in FA, then his days will be numbered. If they pick up a high round rookie in the secondary, he'll be here for another year...He's still better than those guys on the roster behind him..

6. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I completely agree with this right-up... As usual your opinion makes a lot of sense! Carey and Bell are the musts, everything else is second tier or lower on the priority list.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Goodman played the pass as well as anyone in the league in the 2nd half of the season, but its his lack of aggressiveness and physicality against the run that worries me.

I dont like corners who are'nt physical against the run..hate it actually.

Sceeto likes this.