1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tourney thread

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by BlameItOnTheHenne, Mar 15, 2012.

1. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Kansas wins the whole damn thing.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  2. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    WVU is garbage.

Samsung Epic 4G via Tapatalk

3. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Frank Haith and Mizzou lose to a 15 seed....I now believe there is a god.

4. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    There goes my bracket. May as well pull for Lehigh now...lol

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    UNCA got HOSED, this is pretty much the reason why I rarely watch BBall.

6. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    I wish I could have gone the the Mizzou game.....the CenturyLink Center is like 5 minutes from work....

7. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Because the refs in the NFL don't hose teams? March Madness is one of the best times in all of sports. Imagine if they had a bracket for the college football games.

8. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne

Shhhhhh.......that would make too much sense!

9. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    [​IMG]

Vengeful Odin, Starry31 and byroan like this.
  10. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Two 15 seeds won...this is why March Madness is awesome

Oh and LOL @ dook.

11. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    My Bonnies played tough against FSU but came up short. Oh well. It was quite a run for them.

12. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    The tournament is my favorite sports event, love it. While watching the Syracuse game I thought how terrible would it be if college basketball had a bowl type system. Obviously different sports and can't play football after a day's rest, but Kentucky and Syracuse would play one game for the title. As Carolina fans we'd get a high prestige game but wouldn't really matter much since it's not for a championship. Norfolk and Lehigh might would have played each other, no big upset. I like the bowl system but a tournament format just offers so much drama and excitement.

Hope the guy in my avatar is able to play soon and is healthy.

byroan likes this.
  13. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Henson isn't 100% but he played well today. Marshall fractured his wrist though. :(

14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, when our man Sect bets Bball games based on the ref crews, I think perhaps you are a bit offbase Byroan.

My goodness, it was not even close on that out of bounds call, seen it time after time in BBall, what is worse is they do not even bother to change out the ref's.

15. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Now you're comparing the nba to the ncaa. They're almost two different sports.

You know it should have been a foul on the out of bounds play so it didn't matter.

I can name a lot of NFL calls that were wrong.

16. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    If KU loses tonight I'm blaming Henne (the poster not the player).

And they're sleepwalking right now. Not good. Robinson looks completely baffled.

17. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    And my bracket is saved!

18. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Yeah, you could tell Henson wasn't 100%, wasn't as aggressive and seemed to use his right hand to block more than normal (though he had a few blocks with his left). Marshall getting hurt is a bummer, killed my mood. We're lucky to get a 13 seed next game, but without a healthy Marshall we're not going win it all. Sucks to have the injuries this season, and man they're entertaining when the offense is running full-speed and clicking.

19. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I was pulling for Purdue last night because without Marshall, I think we can still match up with them. I'm really worried about Kansas now though.

20. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    These are the types of games that good teams find a way to win. They're not the most talented KU team I've ever seen, but with some performances this year, they've found ways to win. One of the commentators compared this to the VCU game last season and that felt about right; both of those teams came out hot from behind the arc and had one player going off for 25+. Difference is, KU won this year and lost last year.

After last night, I want them to just focus on beating North Carolina State.

Though, looking KU is about the only team left that has the height and size to bang with UNC inside. Obviously Robinson is the big name but Withey has quietly developed into a quality big man as well. Factor in the location of the game (St. Louis) and the mounting injuries to UNC (Marshall, Henson), and you have to wonder if it would be too much for UNC to overcome. And that's not even touching on the Roy Williams Revenge Factor.

21. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Yeah, NC State is no joke. CJ Leslie is a good player, same with Howell. Wood is great from behind the arc. Kansas shouldn't have an issue though, UNC handled them 3 times this year.

I think I'd prefer Barnes, Hairston or Watts running the point, gives us a bigger lineup. I don't know if I can trust Stillman White with a majority of the minutes.

22. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    You'd think that. They pretty much kept NC State at bay until the last 3 minutes, where they melted down and decided to make it way more interesting than it should have been.

This KU team has been one of the more frustrating in recent memory. If they could get good games from both Robinson and Taylor simultaneously they could be very good. If they could get more than one of their supporting players to step up in a game they could be borderline great.

After the last couple days, I actually think UNC wins tomorrow night, despite the deck being stacked against them. They've got enough talent to make KU pay if the Hawks come out with one of their patented slow starts.

23. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    UNC is lucky they played Ohio last night. They played the worst game I've seen them play since FSU earlier this year. Harrison Barnes was awful. Luckily Zeller and Bullock had great games.

Not having Marshall really ruins the tempo of UNC basketball. I really doubt he'll be available tomorrow. :(

Starry31 likes this.
  24. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    The officials are ruining this OSU/Cuse game.

25. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Officiating has sucked in all these games, Baylor/Kentucky no different.

26. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Pretty much, if they had faced a team other than the 13 seed Ohio we would've been in trouble. Before the tournament I thought to take that extra step from really good to champion, needed Barnes to step up and he hasn't done that. Zeller going beast-mode and Bullock hitting the threes helped make up for Barnes terrible night shooting.

I hate to be pessimistic or make excuses, but without Marshall, just a completely different team when you lose your most important player. I'll be watching and rooting for my Heels but Kansas should move on. For Carolina to win I think they'll need to slow it down, feed Zeller continuously, and Barnes is going have to do better than 3 for 16.

byroan likes this.
  27. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    UKat the double bonus with 11 min left?? Lol

28. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    These refs obviously don't know what a travel is. Robinson has gotten away with it 3 times now.

29. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Well...will it be Ohio State or Kansas against Kentucky in the finals?

30. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Well the game ended like I thought it would. I think I'm most upset at Harrison Barnes. This was his opportunity to shine, and other than a couple exciting plays. He did nothing.

Zeller is obviously gone, we'll have to see who else leaves.

Congrats VO and other Kansas fans.

Vengeful Odin and Starry31 like this.
  31. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    At least we will have Sully vs Kansas this time around.

32. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Ohio State opens as a 2.5-3 point fav...

33. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Barnes has the potential to be great and for the most part, just didn't see it this tournament. I do like how McAdoo and Stilman played well, especially defensively, and the team as a whole played really good I thought. The first half was about as good as they could play without Marshall.

Have to think Henson and Barnes are adios, looking forward to McAdoo next season though.

And yeah, congrats to fans with teams still alive. Kansas and Kentucky Monday night?

34. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Ohio State you mean?? :up:

35. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    ha I don't really have any preference so whatever helps my bracket situation. Hope the games are entertaining though.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  36. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    They should be either way, I don't think Ohio State or Kansas will play scared like Baylor did today. In fact Thomas Robinson might scare the piss out of those young Kentucky bigs...and Aaron Craft has something for Teague or Gilchrist.

37. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks dude.

I'll tell you what, for the first 32 minutes this was just plain old great basketball from both sides, the best I've seen in probably 10 years or more. There was a great sequence where Henson hit a long jumper, Robinson responded with a 3, Zeller with a jumper from the top of the key and Withey with a dunk. That little sequence encapsulated the game for me, with KU going head to head with UNC down low.

The game changed when Self pulled out the Triangle and 2 with about 8 minutes left to go; something he went to in desperation against Purdue earlier in the tournament. You have to think that KU, having played it earlier, was more practiced than they normally would have been. The media has been ripping Roy Williams a bit for not recognizing and reacting to it ... I think that's a bit overblown as Roy's teams have always focused on what they are doing and not what the other team is doing.

Regardless I felt like it was a very good game, and obviously with Marshall things may have been different.

From here on out I view this season as a rousing success; this has been one of the thinnest and least talented teams in recent memory but yet here they are in the Final Four. They've not always been pretty but on Sunday they were as close to perfect as I've seen all season. Here's hoping that carries over to New Orleans.

That doesn't surprise me at all, and honestly I would look for the line to expand to favor Ohio State even more as the week lets on. KU, despite my analysis up above, still has problems. They don't always put together complete performances. They lack bench depth and raw talent to go up against the heavyweights in this tournament. Tyshawn Taylor, despite being a senior, still makes at least 3-4 plays a game that just make me cringe. Thomas Robinson, who has been the heart of this team, has struggled, especially early in the tournament.

For KU to get by Ohio State, and even have a chance at Kentucky (or Louisville), they're going to need similar performances from Taylor and Robinson as they got last night. In addition, they're going to need a consistent third option (Elijah Johnson, Jeff Withey) to step up and hit some shots or make some plays. Along the way they're going to have to hope that Taylor, Releford, or Teahan can start consistently hitting deep from 3. Taylor hasn't hit a 3 yet in the tournament.

All those questions leave me concerned that KU may have left it all out on the court Sunday, and that we'll see them revert to the same playing style we saw in Rounds 2 and 3. If that happens I think Ohio State runs them out of the gym.

The equalizer in all of this is Bill Self ... if he can continue to get wins out of this team (and he's already done way more than I expected), then sure, maybe they get by Ohio State. But I wouldn't bet on it, and if I was an oddsmaker I certainly wouldn't move the line in their favor.

38. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I can tell you if Ohio State wins the X factor will likely be Deshuan Thomas, Robinson won't be pushed around by Sulinger and Buford is just not dependable.

Should be a great game, but I will 100% be rooting for the winner of KU/OSU to knock off Kentucky.

Yes. Kentucky.

39. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Well after watching both games Kentucky is going to win it all. Ohio St choked that game away and imo had no shot vs Kentucky.

40. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Now that was a good basketball game. I'm pulling for Kansas to win it all now.