1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tourney thread

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by BlameItOnTheHenne, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Good for Kansas. I will be pulling for them to win it all. I heard Robinson's story of losing his entire family in a matter of a short period of time. He deserves to win it all.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  2. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Robinson's story is pretty intense if you haven't heard it. I was a little disappointed when Davis won player of the year over him. Then I watched Davis play on Saturday and that dude is amazing.

This team is going to give me a heart attack. KU did their typical "lull the other team to sleep" move that's worked so well for them this year. Basically, the strategy is to give the other team as big a lead as possible, and then grind away at it for the rest of the game, before finally taking a lead late in in the game. It's a risky strategy but it's worked in 2 games in the tournament and against Missouri in the regular season.

As for Monday's game I'm happy that KU is there, but I just don't seem the matching up with Kentucky, who has one of the deepest teams in the country. I love Thomas Robinson but Anthony Davis is just a monster. If KU comes out and can knock down some threes (I'm looking at you, Mr. 0-for-the-tournament Taylor) then maybe they can keep it competitive and keep things close going into the last five minutes. But I feel like if they come out like they did against Missouri, Purdue, and Ohio State they won't be able to come back.

Regardless, this improbably run has convinced me that Bill Self is one of the best coaches in the NCAA, and is at the top of his game - not sure if the awards are out or not but he certainly deserves coach of the year consideration.

3. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Yeah, why couldn't Kansas come out slow against UNC?

It still hurts. :cry:

Oh and Frank Haith at Missouri got coach of the year. I don't really agree with giving a team that got beat by a #15 seed the award, but whatever.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Boy did Ohio State turn "*****" down the stretch....good thing they didnt win because they would've gotten walloped by Kentucky.

I'll be rooting for Kansas and T-Rob to not play intimidated or in awe of the Wildcats.

Vengeful Odin and BuckeyeKing like this.
  5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Well not surprised by that outcome at all. Kentucky was too talented.

6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Kentucky sure gets the benefit of the doubt when blocking shots....very few whistles blown.

7. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I said on my Facebook that KU couldn't afford to start slow against Kentucky and would need to hit some early shots to get their confidence up.

Even spotting them a 20 point lead they still found a way to make it interesting. KU had a shot to get the lead to single digits but Elijah Johnson threw the ball out of bounds. Kentucky responded with back-to-back threes to push it back up to 16. Later in the game KU had a chance to get it down to something like 5 points and they gave up another big three. Kentucky just hit shots when it mattered and KU was just too far down to pull off one of their patented runs. Kentucky just overwhelmed them with sheer talent.

Defensively is where Kentucky won the game, with the Hawks continuing to try and drive it in the lane. 11 blocks for the team is just crazy. Thomas Robinson played hard but it felt like he was just too amped up in the first half.

Overall a disappointing loss but I can't say I'm disappointed in how KU played this year.

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Thank God it's over.