Trade Rumors...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cuchulainn, Aug 26, 2013.

1. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    There is no process I could give you that would make you agree with me, so it doesn't even matter and I don't really care.

Long to me is not a "hit". First we passed on a franchise caliber QB for him and we chose not to or failed to resign him when his contract expired. We got 5 years of excellent to mediocre play out of him and then lost him for nothing. He wasn't a tremendous bust like a Gholston but I don't think you can say he was the right pick either.

NolesNPhinsFan and djphinfan like this.
  2. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Are you a fan or do you enjoy watching a rich guy save some money?

Damn right I want Ross to spend millions to make me happy. I have no other reason to watch the team or spend my money on tickets or merchandise.

Ross may be pleased that Ireland saved him money this eyar, but that's not a way a fan thins (or should think)

So again, tell me what number "Cap Space" is wearing so I can keep an eye out for him Thursday night. I hear he's a tremendous prospect

NolesNPhinsFan and MrClean like this.
  3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Now that you mention it that does seem obvious. I think I'd pull the trigger on that.

gunn34 likes this.
  4. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Saving money this year is necessary for rollover reasons. We have a lot of starters becoming free agents and a few of these new signings have much higher cap numbers too.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Question is, why would the Bills do it? They've already got Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams. And it's not as if they're paper thin in the depth department. They signed Alan Branch in the off season, and they have Alex Carrington, Torell Troup, Jay Ross, Corbin Bryant and Jarron Gilbert in camp right now.

6. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I have no issue with saving cap space to use on players. I'm all for that.

Stringer is suggesting that Ireland simply saving Ross cash is a positive that I should consider in my evaluation of Ireland.

MrClean likes this.
  7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Their D-line is pretty good and they've spent a bunch there. I don't know if they'll be losing any of those guys next season. The only reasons to do it is if the situation with Byrd reaches toxic levels or if they just want to get something for an asset they know they're going to lose. It's basically the same reason that Miami would have for making the trade (toxicity or getting something for him). If nothing happens as is far and away most likely, I would love for Miami to look at signing Byrd when he probably hits the market next offseason.

8. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The GM does not work for you. You do not determine the criteria for his success.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

9. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    No, I'm saying that fans evaluating administrator's overall job is pretty silly.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    So, you can't say for certain what a "hit" is?

11. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    "Credit" for Wilson and Matthews?! Lmao man neither of them have done a damn thing! in fact Jimmy Wilson flat out sucks.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Except nobody has demonstrated to even a small degree that the situation with Randy Starks has become toxic.

13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Agreed. And I don't have any reason to believe that it's toxic with Byrd. My motivation to make the trade would be based on the getting something for him side. I also like Randall and feel would be satisfied with our DT rotation w/o Starks and think Byrd would be a substantial upgrade over Clemons.

MrClean likes this.
  14. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    100% of your picks in the first 3 rounds should make the team. Even when they show you absolutely nothing like Egnew and John Jerry they still aren't released. That's been one major issue with Jeffy, his higher picks have been disappointments, especially the 2nd round. That's the money round for good GMs, Ted Thompson is a guy who finds studs in the 2nd and 3rd almost every year.

15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    They make the team that first year. I was talking about being retained beyond their rookie contract. If that happens 50% of the time (outside of coaching change situations) then you're doing well. Nobody hits 100% of even their 1st round picks, much less all of their picks in the first three rounds.

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I would love to have a Jairus Byrd in what he brings to the table interception-wise but I do feel like you give something up in your ground defense. A last line of defense player that is considerably slower than Clemons would result in bigger gains on big runs, IMO. Byrd is probably the slowest free safety out there.

rafael, SICK and RoninFin4 like this.
  17. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Not trying to knock Ted Thompson or necessarily your opinion of how he does, but just want to illustrate even guys like him (someone who is generally regarded as a great GM) misses plenty of times in the 2nd and 3rd round.

2nd rounders that at least have underperformed, if not failed outright:
    2005 - Terrance Murphy, WR
    2007 - Brandon Jackson, HB
    2008 - Brian Brohm, QB & Patrick Lee, DB
    2010 - Mike Neal, DE

3rd rounders that at least have underperformed, if not failed outright:
    2006 - Abdul Hodge, LB
    2007 - Aaron Rouse, DB
    2011 - Alex Green, HB

That's 5 out of 10 2nd rd picks that weren't good or even much positive contribution, and 3 of 7 3rd rd picks. Overall that a "success" rate of 53% in the 2nd and 3rd round. I'm not even going to say that's below the norm, just that even the best GMs are only hitting like half the time in those "money" rounds.

Note: Neal and Green could still turn it around, but not looking good for Green since they drafted 2 backs this year, and I excluded last year's picks because it has only been a year.

rafael and cuchulainn like this.
  18. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Finding 6th, 7th, and undrafted free agents that make your team and have a degree of success is not luck imo..The skill of the evaluator only becomes more evident..

In the later rounds you have to look at best players available regardless of need, that's the first step.

19. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Err ummm *backs up a step*. Thought this was the trade rumors. *exits*

SICK and Paul 13 like this.
  20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Mychel Rivera was a very good 6th round pick..not a lot of folks liked him, but I thought there was some consistency as to how he played the game and if it weren't for sims would of been a good choice,

21. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    IMO, luck is a much bigger factor than people want to give credit for. Thats pretty much true for everything in football, not just late round picks.

cuchulainn and Stitches like this.
  22. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    you get a gold star.

cuchulainn likes this.
  23. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    well, there you go again.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I have no idea what your talking about..

Your hoping that his mind will adapt mentally to the mental toughness required to play at the NFL level?, has to be a mental thing what your talking about..

Of course there will be some misses when it comes to the required mentals, just don't know if I can chalk that up to bad luck..there's always a collective informed decision when it comes to all draft picks, at least there should be.

25. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Maybe we need a "UnFist Pump" button...hehehe

xphinfanx and cuchulainn like this.
  26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    In his defense, Jimmy Wilson does suck. He was a terrible slot corner last year and his preseason performances have been awful.

27. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I hope they bring in a Vet Guard to shore up the oline. Jerry won the job by default/injury again.

28. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If either Tannehill or Jordan turn out not to be greats, Ireland should be sent down the road.

29. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If we pulled that trade off, I'd have a boner a mile long.

30. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    using the percentage of a GM's hits/misses and labeling it a "success rate" can be very misleading. every GM has good and bad picks. that % is nowhere near as important as how impactful his good picks become. since we're talking about Thompson's work in the 2nd/3rd, lets review his hits from 2008-2012 and compare to Ireland's.

Thompson: Jordy Nelson, Finley, Morgan Burnett, Randall Cobb, Casey Hayward. out of 10 total picks from 08 to 2012, he hit on 5, which is 50%, but pretty much all of them became studs.

Ireland: Langford, Sean Smith, Misi, Vernon. 12 total picks, and you could argue he hit on 4, and I say argue because as you can see I had to be very generous by labeling these players as hits lol...

you can't even compare these two groups of draft picks, GB's is light years better.

lets look at Thompson's hits from 05-07:

Nick Collins, Greg Jennings, James Jones. 3 drafts, he found a star in the mid rounds in each one.

31. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    Does one inch=a mile? if so does that makes u a legend?

:rimshot:

32. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Again, I never compared Ireland to Thompson, if you let me pick one or the other for my team I'm sure you and I would come out with the same GM. It just seemed to me like you were saying the best GMs don't often miss in rds 2 and 3 (which I took to mean far less than half the time), so I was showing that is not the case, that's all.

I'd hardly call James Jones a star for the record, though I would of course call it a successful pick.

With that said, that 4 of 12 number for Ireland could easily (IMO) jump up to 8 depending on how Martin, Daniel Thomas, John Jerry, and Egnew perform this year. And again, even if that proves to be the case, that is not meant to be any sort of vote of confidence that Ireland is better than potential GM "X" out there that's available. It could certainly show that he isn't as bad as some people (not necessarily you) make him out to be though.

Edit: Agreed about the potential misleading % in success rate, I originally had 47% referring to it as failure rate (which I thought was less misleading) in my head, then realized it wasn't the % that matched up with the words I wrote down. I ended up fixing the % when I should have altered the words.

33. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The clear cut fact regarding Ireland is quite obvious as far as I am concerned. If the Dolphins go 9-7 or better, playoffs or not, Ireland should be retained as the teams GM. Anything less than a 9-7 record and Ireland needs to go and the next GM can decide if Philbin is the right HC for the Dolphins or not.

If the Dolphins don't win at least 9 games in 2013, that will make it five years in a row, with Ireland as the teams GM and the Dolphins would not have had a winning record. Except for the Lions, a few years ago, no other NFL franchise in recent history has retained a GM who has experienced five consecutive seasons without a winning record.

dolfan22 likes this.
  34. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I mean he has 31 TD's in the last 4 years...star or not, I'd take him over any of our 2nd or 3rd round picks.

don't hold your breath.

35. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    it's playoffs or bust for me if I'm Ross... if we don't make the postseason, I'm not giving Ireland another contract.

36. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    That stat becomes slightly less impressive to me when you realize his QBs have thrown for 151 TDs over that same time frame and two other WRs on that team caught 25+ TDs each in fewer games. I don't know that I'd take him over any of our 2nd or 3rd rounders, but certainly over half of them.

Not sure why I would.

37. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Every player on every other team is an upgrade to every player on our team in your eyes. When will you admit you're just trolling us?

Larryfinfan likes this.
  38. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

I didn't say you couldnt offer a clear cut fact regarding Ireland. The conversation was brought up regarding to Ireland and how he used resources on TEs. You cant offer a clear cut fact on his use of resources. I think there has been plenty of time to offer a clear opinion on Ireland as a whole.

39. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I'm not, that would be an incredible waste of time. I'm just being honest.

40. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't mean to rag on you. It's just hard to believe in your time here I've never seen you say a single positive thing. Not about anyone...not Wake, not optimism on Tannehill...nothing.

Paul 13 likes this.