1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trade Up For Crabtree?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Mar 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    We all know Crabtree. He's a stud.

If he's still on the board at #4 (Seattle) or #5 (Browns), would you trade our #25 and our #56 pick for him?

2. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Well, aside from the fact that I think Crabtree may be a bit overrated, I don't like the idea of trading up unless it's for a franchise player. I don't see that being Crabtree. On top of that I really don't like the idea of trading up to go after a wide receiver, a position that seems to be a crapshoot, especially in the early rounds.

Here's how I see it: This team may have went 11-5, but part of that was due to sheer luck ... there's still a number of holes on defense (CB, pass rush, NT to replace Ferguson) and offense. We're much better served hanging onto our picks and getting two very good players.

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN and alen1 like this.
  3. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

of course i would. but that would be no where near enough to trade up that far.

Stitches and texanphinatic like this.
  4. skippysphins

skippysphins Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    the poconos
    we do not have enough ammo sorry

5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Hell no I would not.

6. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    No I wouldn't trade up. We can get Hakeem Nicks at #25 who I think will be a great receiver....I don't think we can give up draft picks. I like Crabtree but we also need to get some quality CB's and plenty of help on defense.

7. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Nope. Don't even want us to take a WR with the #25 no way I want them to trade up to take one.

8. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I would do that in a second. But nappy is right and it would take far more than those 2 picks to trade up that high. If he fell to something like 12 or 14 it might, but I dont see that happening.

But up to 4 from 25? We would need to give up at least our first 4 picks this year and a big one next year, likely a first.

9. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I would just prefer to draft Hakeem Nicks at 25. And I would be jumping through hoops if that were to be the case.

10. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    It would take a package similar to what Mike Ditka gave up for Ricky Williams (in other words, your entire draft.. and even that might not be enough according to the draft value chart).

11. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    No.

12. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Not just no but hell no. I'm not big on mortgaging your entire draft for one player. I think we're more than one receiver from where we want to be. There's good value on WR's later in the draft. if Crabtree fell to us at 25 or we could move up a couple slots and get him without giving away too much then yeah. But other than that no.

13. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    No way we should trade up for anyone. We need all the picks we can get and there is some doubt in my mind about Crabtree.

14. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Fans never want to trade up and always want to trade down. That's why they're fans and not GMs :yes:

15. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    To be honest with you I think we've improved significantly over this off-season by retaining certain players, adding others. We have hopefully a good draft coming. I'm still hopeful that we'll be able to add a veteran WR at this point. We'll need to improve significantly to keep our record or improve, but we've done everything to do that except re-sign Goodman. I'll ask you this though by not re-signing him we put ourselves in position to get Torry Holt when he's cut.

So to the original poster. The answer should be no. NEVER invest that much into getting a WR. I could dish out a fifth round conditional round pick, get myself Torry Holt guaranteed, team him with Ted Ginn Jr. and I'd still have my first round pick.

It just is so damn rare that a WR justifies such a high selection. I hate spending so much on them they just don't influence the game the way people think they do.

If we're trading up to get the most ridiculous pass rusher to come out in years (say 05 when Merriman and Ware were available), bring them on down. 2006 when Ngata was available most definitely. Patrick Willis in 2007, sure why not.

16. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'm honestly not a fan of Crabtree at all. So I'd be a bit upset if we traded up for him.