1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trading Back Into 2nd Round

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TNphinfan, Apr 14, 2010.

1. TNphinfan

TNphinfan Always soo close... Club Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Only hypothetical thoughts here. I was thinking, what if we packaged a deal with Thigpen, Smiley, or Ginn (or whoever else isn't really "Safe"). Maybe a 2nd round pick can be gained from trading any of these, or a combination of any (I highly doubt we can trade one of these for a 2nd rounder, Thigpen would be the the most obvious due to start history, and can be traded to a team that needs a mentor.) What teams do you guys think the front office would call to see if they could work something out for their 2nd? I highly doubt it will be done before draft day...:yes: So what do you guys think?

2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    i can't possibly imagine us getting back into the 2nd round. Only if some other team really wanted one of our guys but i can't see why they would want them that badly.

3. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    trade down, pick up a 2nd :up:

4. TNphinfan

Mar 3, 2010
    Possibly a better option on getting back into the 2nd round: Trading down in the 1st round, picking up a 2nd rounder in the process like In Flame said :)

greasyObnoxious and Steve-Mo like this.
  5. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    that would be nice.

But There's 3 players this team has to be considering at #12 and im not sure I'll be happy trading back and not getting one of them.

Earl Thomas, Derick Morgan, Dan williams. If we trade back and miss out on all 3 of them, i'd say that's the wrong move.

6. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    IMO our best hope of getting back the 2nd rounder would be if another team sees somebody available at our 12th pick that they really want and trades a later 1st and possibly a second rounder for the pick. I thought our best chance however was with Dez Bryant being available there and now I think Denver takes Bryant with the 11th pick, but its hard to say with the way Denver is doing things.

7. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    This is something that is just off the top of my head but I think there's a shot.
    Trade partner with the Eagles.
    Move down to the 24th spot. Eagles need help at S. They maybe falling in love with Earl Thomas or potentially Eric Berry (if he slips.)
    Eagles also need to sure up their interior O-line badly. Include Justin Smiley in the deal and get the 37th overall pick. The Eagles also have the 55th overall. Plus maybe a 5th or a 6th?

So in the end it would look like
    Eagles Get:
    #12 Overall Pick (FS)
    Justin Smiley

Dolphins get:
    24th Overall
    37th Overall (Maybe 55th Overall)
    5th or 6th Rounder

I think a similar situation may also work with the Cowboys.

This could be an absolute pipe dream, but it looks pretty fair to me. Flame away.

8. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Yeah just trade down and pick up an extra second rounder. Some great players will be there at #15 to #20....so if our first choice is off the board at #12 then trade down.

9. TNphinfan

Mar 3, 2010
    That would be an awesome trade! But i believe you are right, if one of the lower round teams (20-32) has a greater need they will surely think about trading up. Dallas, Philly, Steelers, Chargers are the teams I believe could be possible trade partners. Who knows? One thing i do know is i'm excited about next thursday!

10. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think the trade idea with Philly, or IMO Houston, could become really likely come draft...night I guess it is now. But if Eric Berry is on the board at 12, he's a Dolphin.

Kudos for the Philly suggestion though - I've seen quite a few mocks with Earl Thomas pegged to Philly, though I'm not quite sure what if anything has made his stock drop.

11. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i believe, and have advocated all along that we will trade down at least 1, but more than likely 2 times .... especially now to recoup the #2, and to try and get another #3 ...

OR

we will try to trade up on the cheap somehow and try to get Berry .... then still take Lane in rd 3 ... and end up with Berry -S; Marshall - WR; Lane - SOLB ... i would be very happy with that ...

still would like to add Carrington - DE and Joseph - NT .... that would be a tremendous draft !

andres2882 likes this.
  12. burger13

burger13 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    South Jersey
    if only it was that easy...

we can want to trade down, and I believe that we do, but you need a team who wants to trade up....much easier said than done.

I believe that we will try everything possible to try and trade down, but in the end, we won't find any takers.

13. PHINANALYST

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i don't think it's really all that difficult ... it's what you want back in return that makes or breaks it.

i guarantee there are several teams that would jump at the chance to move up ... it's the price we ask that makes or breaks it.

14. burger13

burger13 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    South Jersey
    well, the price we are discussing here...is a 1st and 2nd round pick.

two picks for 1.

that's not easy. the other teams has to be in love with a player to give up a 1st and 2nd round pick for them.

15. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    not to mention, we have to be willing to give up on drafting the player the other team wants.

Specifically Earl Thomas. Everyones saying the eagles want him, but Im pretty sure we need his services as well.

16. PHINANALYST

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    roger ... but there are other options .... a 2d this year and a 1st next year ... maybe a 2d and 3d this year .... that's what i mean -- it can be done; but yes, for a 1 & 2 THIS year ... it's a bit of a challenge.

17. andres2882

andres2882 New Member

Apr 14, 2010
    I agree 100% on Thomas. I'm really on the first round FS bandwagon - provided its Berry or Thomas. If they are gone (or in Thomas' case, can be had a few picks later), then trade back a few and hopefully get a late second/early third that you can spend on an OLB.

I'm not sure if I am alone in my thinking, but I'm not sold at all on D. Williams. He doesn't impress me enough to pass on Thomas (no one is going to argue over Berry) and I'd rather grab a special OLB than an above average (maybe) NT. I think Solai can occupy space just as well until Fergie comes back and the presence of a sick pass rushing OLB will go a long way (think Porter in '08). If we fill FS and OLB (a very deep class this year), take a late-round flyer on a big body to push Solai, then you can draft a special NT next year.

Just my 2 cents.