1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Training Camp Preview Part 11: Cornerbacks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Miami Dolphin Nation, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Miami Dolphin Nation

Miami Dolphin Nation New Member

Jul 14, 2009
    It was pretty obvious that the corners were this defenses biggest weakness last season. Despite the below average play from this group, the Dolphins defense still finished in the top 10 in several categories.

Yes, some of that may have to do with the weak schedule, with the defense going up against some of the worst offenses in the league week after week. It was clear though that even when this defense was playing well, it could never reach elite status until the secondary had major upgrades.

You could see it even on that long stretch when they did not give up a touchdown for like three straight weeks. Teams were able to move the ball on Miami, but once they got in the red zone and could not throw the deep ball the corners where less exposed.

This group was exposed the most when teams went to a spread offense. The Chiefs and Patriots both played this type of offense against the phins and it was almost like they only had 8 or 9 defenders on the field. They had absolutely no answer for it.

It's tough to say how good the Dolphins defense is because at times they were great and at other times it looked like they were just submitting to opposing offenses. The huge inconsistency has to be pointed all at this group.

If you think back at the times the defense was not very good they were always getting dissected by the opposing quarterback. Whether it was Kurt Warner, Matt Cassel, Matt Schaubb, or Tyler Thigpen the Dolphins clearly could not match up with some of the better passing attacks of the league.

And if you look at it, that was four of the five loses and in the fifth loss Joe Flacco had one of his best performances as a rookie. So, it appears that the Dolphins are just consistent play out of the secondary away from being a contender.

Not that this is the only question mark on this team, and not saying that the Dolphins will win the Super Bowl if this group has a huge improvement. But, I think it is clear that, that won't even be a possibility until these corners become very good and consistent.

Projected Depth Chart

1. Will Allen: Had 3 picks last season and 50 tackles. It could be argued that he was the Dolphins best corner, even though Andre Goodman makes a case for that as well. Out of the guys expected to start he is the only one that is proven so he will have a huge responsibility. If the rookies struggle early on, how this unit produces will fall squarely on his shoulders. With Andre Goodman gone, if these rookies or even Eric Green don't perform well, Will Allen is going to have to become a pro-bowl, shutdown corner if this group has any hope.

2. Vontae Davis: With what is at stake, the Dolphins are banking a lot of the present and future on Davis and Smith. He has the skill set to be a very good corner in this league though. He is a very strong physical corner, which can be seen with his 25 bench press reps, and should be able to smother even bigger receivers in press coverage. He compliments his strength with very good speed for a physical guy. He ran a 4.4 at his pro day, giving him all the credentials to be a future shutdown corner in this league, but with the Dolphins predicament hopefully he can achieve that role sooner rather than later.

3. Sean Smith: Is very tall for a corner at 6'3 and should match up well against some of the tall receivers that the AFC East has to offer. He does not have the typical body for a corner, but with his 4.47 40 he is just as fast as some of the shorter guys. Why wouldn't you want his height with all of the fade routes and jump balls offenses throw nowadays. You would think that the competition he played against might have yielded to some of the success he had in college, but he was outstanding against big time colleges like Alabama and Michigan last season.

4. Eric Green: Was brought over from Arizona in free-agency and was looked to be a downgrade from Andre Goodman, until the Dolphins did what they did in the draft. If the rookies develop well and contribute this season Green will be a pretty nice pickup giving the Dolphins some quality depth. But if not, he will be a downgrade from last years starter. He only has two picks in his career and struggled last season even though he says he was playing hurt all year.

5. Jason Allen: It is hard to believe that Allen was a former first round pick, but then again it was in the Nick Satan era. Allen has struggled throughout his career and has been back and fourth between safety and cornerback and has never really found a home. He has been a special teams standout, sharing the lead for special teams tackles last year. The only problem is, you usually don't draft guys in the first round for special teams.

6. Nathan Jones: Made some really nice plays for the Dolphins in nickel and dime situations. Led all defensive backs with 3 sacks and had a pick. Those sacks were huge for Miami, as if I remember correctly, came at times when they really needed a stop.

7. Joey Thomas: The four year veteran played in six games for the Dolphins last season and the only thing statistical he contributed was 4 tackles.

8. Ethan Kilmer: The former 7th round pick has spent his first three seasons in Cincinnati. Had a decent 2006 season with 19 tackles and a interception but has since just contributed on special teams.

9. Will Billingsley: I love this guy because he is from my hometown in Fort Wayne. Seems like a lot of Fort Wayne guys end up playing for the Dolphins. Lamar Smith ring any bells? However he was just a practice squad guy last year and will likely be the same this season. Fort Wayne loves you though Will.

Position Battles: Sean Smith should push Vontae Davis for the other starting spot. Physically Davis is the better corner, but anything can happen with these rookies. Any of them could be dear in the headlights in their first season. But we should all hope Davis is the starter because really he is the only guy that has shutdown corner potential. Really the rookie who is the three will have to compete with Eric Green for that spot as well. Green was not brought here to be the long term solution, but his experience could grant him a big role especially if one of the rookies struggle.

Roster Spot Battles: The bottom three or four guys are all capable of being cut and will be competing for a spot on special teams or the practice squad during camp.

Tone_E, phineas64, padre31 and 6 others like this.
  2. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    brother, I've been enjoying reading your training camp preview series. But I want to know if I missed parts 5 - 10 ?..eh?..:dunno:
    I also want to encourage you to provide input in other threads. I'm not trying to tell you what to do - I just hope that you'll do this.

As to the topic..
    You're right, our secondary struggled against certain teams that you mentioned. I felt that it was due to those teams having big physical WRs.
    Moss in NE, Fitzgerald and Boldin in AZ and Andre Johnson and Kevin Walter in Houston. Even KC has big WRs in Dwayne Bowe and Devard Darling.
    I was thinking that Davis and Smith were sort of in response to last year's struggles against those bigger WRs.
    I have hopes that our pass rush is going to be much improved (and more diverse) which should help to alleviate past problems with our CBs getting exposed.
    Time will tell.

Anonymous and Disnardo like this.
  3. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

No question this will be the most critical batle for a starting spot on our defense. Very well written, thanks for the effort and sharing it. I just hope it does end up being Davis or Smith starting opposite Will Allen. I would rather see one of those two than Green.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    and how do you feel about the loser of that battle being the #3..

Its a distinct possibility...

would also not discount Jason allen being our #4.....

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The more I think about it Dj, JA may be on the thin ice this time around, unless he is just a ST beast, we may no longer have time to waste with him.

6. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Culver is a safety.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  7. MrClean

Kilmer is a safety

8. Miami Dolphin Nation

Miami Dolphin Nation New Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I started and finished this series earlier in the month on my blog. But, being a new member here I thought I would post the positions that would generate the most discussion, but you can go to my blog to see the other positions.

Disnardo, late again and padre31 like this.
  9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Green, nate jones, and joey thomas aint much competition Padre, I want his size and speed on the field at the #4, plus hes got some versatility, and hes a nice gunner with that speed for special teams, he also loves to throw his body about wrecklessly, which is good for a gunner.

Iam gonna go on record and say he wins that spot. I think the 2 young stud rooks will make him focus more.

10. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Dooh! I apologize.:yes:

11. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Thanks for the good read MDN...

As late again posted, we played very good passing teams with big talented WRs... that maybe be the biggest reason as to its success...againts small CBs...

The FO did the right thing in looking for and aquiring talented DBs this year, with size, to match opponents strentghs...

We just need them to be average at best... if we get our pass rushing on gear, they will look like All Pro back there...

late again likes this.
  12. Sippi

Sippi Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    I enjoyed reading this post. Nicely done. I'm very interested to see how much time we see all three of the top CB's on the field together.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He would have to be a head and shoulders better gunner then Jones or Green dj, he is just that bad a Cb at the moment.

I took advantage of watching last season's games and when an opposing offense needed a big play or to convert a third and long, Jason Allen was targeted, it was kind of sad to watch really.

IMO, JA had better have a great training camp or he may be gone.

And we cannot have a #4 Cb who is weak Dj, not if we want to beat the pats, all four of their Wr could play for other teams, there is not a Hagan in the bunch.

I give JA a 40% chance to win the spot and a 60% chance to remain on the team, if E Green outplays him it may be curtains for JA in Miami.

14. MrClean

I don't think it matters that JA necessarily beat out Green to make the team. We usually carry 9 DBs, and there have been years where we kept 10 at the final cut down. 9 seems most reasonable though. If we figure W.Allen, Davis, Smith, Green at CB, and Wilson, Bell, Clemons and Culver at S, that leaves one more spot. JA is the only one left who could play either CB or S, at least has in the past. So his versatility may help him. It really comes down to who they want on STs too probably most of all. Just off the top of my head, I think it is pretty common for all the DBs, when we carried 9, to be active on game day.
    JA's competition for the 9th DB spot would be the aforementioned Thomas, Jones, & Billingsley, and probably Bryan and Kilmer if we kept 5 S and 4 CB. I doubt we keep 5 S at the expense of 5 CBs though, because if we have to use that 9th DB on defense, it would be nice if he could pass cover. Say what you will about JA, but of the competition, the only one probably close to him in that regard is Jones.

djphinfan, padre31 and cnc66 like this.
  15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That sound's about right, JA would be the last Cb but he would also be expected to play ST at a high level.

16. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think Smith has a better chance to be the starter opposite Allen than Davis does. While Davis is the better athlete, I think Smith is the better CB. I also think Davis is suited to play the slot, at least better than Smith. And by having Smith outside it will allow the team to get what I believe will eventually be the best three CBs on the field more often.

I like JA. He was solid last year against everybody but Moss. I think he's a play maker and a great STs player, but I also think he's in for a battle against Nate Jones. I could see us carrying 10 CBs in order to keep both of those guys. Or who knows maybe they both beat out Green?

17. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I think you're right. I think they envision Smith lining up to cover the likes of Randy Moss and Andre Johnson and all the other bigger WRs that abused our secondary last season.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Another reason why I think the FO acquired so many DBs is because of the competition we play this year. We face so many great passing attacks, the only thing the FO could do was stockpile on DBs.

19. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    this is year 2 under this coaching staff for JA ... so he better show some improvement right off the bat, he doesn't have all TC to prove it.

even though we could keep 9-10 DBs ... unless he is all world STs - he will not make the team if he can't keep up with Green. I think it really comes down to Jones, Billingsley & JA for the last (9th) DB spot. Jones contributed in his role, and Billingsley was PS ... so he could show improvement.

we can always default to JAs athletic ability, which is why Saban took him ... but regardless, the light still has yet to come on - on defense ... which is why i absolutely agree that he is on very, very thin ice with this coaching staff ... less his STs play.

i also believe, that the addition of Clemons and his athleticism hurts JA ... and makes him expendable.