Training Camp Preview Part 2: Running Backs

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Miami Dolphin Nation, Jul 15, 2009.

1. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Just looking at stats
    Ronnie had 4 runs of 20+ yards, and 1 run of 40+.
    AP had 20 runs of 20+ yards, and 4 runs of 40+.

HardKoreXXX and Bpk like this.
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Wow, 20 runs of plus 20. And 4 runs of plus 40. He is truly a one of a kind runningback.

3. Gitrdone

Gitrdone New Member

May 22, 2009
    Canada EH!
    Thats not all AP also, and I bet AP would be the first to say that. His Oline helps him out a fair bit, i have seen some of the holes. I have also seen what happens when there is no hole for him. He is a good RB, more home run threat then Ronnie is, but Ronnie is better at tough yards. AP puts the ball on the ground a lot.

4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

That was part of the problem for sure, I'm just saying what was thought about him. Not that he actually was.

The thing is that when I'm looking at backs huge yardage numbers really don't impress me. Which is what I'm saying about his years with us, to me its a lot more about his yards per carry, which weren't really out of this world in fact they are right on par with Ronnies career. Also Ricky has(d) a problem holding onto the ball.

I'm not saying he's a bad player or anything, but sometimes I wonder if he gets a bit too much praise.

late again likes this.
  5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    That was a great season, but look at his entire body of work. Other than that one season his highest YPC is only 4.4

He's only been able to surpass 4.0 YPC three times in his career, one of those times being only 4.1 YPC. His "great" second year as a Dolphin where he put up 1300 yards? 3.5 YPC.

Also I'd say had he not been injured Ronnies big season would have been comparable to Rickys. And in my opinion Ricky was a product of getting a lot of carries.

We're not even metioning his 51TD to 41 Fumbles ratio. If a QB has a 51/41 TD to INT rate we would be booting him out of town. Obviously we didnt lose ALL his fumbles but he still coughed it up.

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I disagree. It was less than a full year but in 2007 RB was on pace beat 2200 yards from the LOS. And he had higher YPC. In fact, if you factored out the first two games where Cam was only giving RB 11 carries per game then RB's pace was over 2600 yards from the LOS over a 16 game season. IMO durability matters so the injury can't be ignored but it is inaccurate to say that we've never seen talent from RB like we have from RW. I would agree that we haven't seen it over a whole season though.

I also whole heartedly disagree that RW is the most talented back on the roster now. RB is the most talented back by a good stretch.

Alex44, Ozzy and mullingan like this.
  7. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

Wait what? :lol:

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Sorry, edited it.

Alex44 likes this.
  9. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Despite what the positional charts say, I think any assessment of our running back is really about our 'running game' as a whole.... and that HAs to include the effect of Pat White.

Pat White may very well be the second leading rusher on this team after ROnnie Brown by the end of this season. If, that is, he takes the snap in the Wildcat (which we began as a direct-snap to a runningback with a run/pass option) then the NCAA's all time leading rusher will certainly run the ball more than a few times.

I hope Pat White gets Wildcat snaps. And I hope he runs for over 500 yards this year.

mullingan likes this.
  10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Lets hope those 500 yards are on 10 carries ;). That would be sweet!

Bpk likes this.
  11. Drowning

Drowning ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH

Dec 20, 2007
    Ricky Williams quit? Quit what? Quit an anxiety disorder by use of a natural remedy? Quit wanting to be the poster child for a league on a witch hunt? He should have not quit on drinking and driving. Lord knows his career wouldn't have been demolished the way his was.

But lets just see if Donte Stallworth has to live in a tent or stop using the name he's known by because, really, people die everyday but marijuana? That's illegal. It makes you hungry for crying out loud! It makes you relieve stress! You know, it's actually been medically proven to help cancer patients by relieving nausea. Oh, and it helps you run over 260LBS linebackers as easily as out-run 190LBS cornerbacks... no... wait... that's another substance NFL players are DEFINITELY not taking.

Young Ricky Williams vs. young Ronnie Brown is a joke and the punch line is anyone who thinks Ronnie Brown is the victor.

Ronnie Brown is clearly the better of the two backs now.

the 23rd and mullingan like this.
  12. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

If he played in the CFL he could average even higher... like 110yds per carry.

13. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

A person can be in excellent shape until they're 50-60 yrs old but once you reach into your 30's it's a downhill battle to be as physical and as fast as you once were.

Ricky Williams is a very very good Running Back but only one year has he been god like running the rock. He has not been the same since then. I wish he could be even close to that but I'm not going to hold my breath.

14. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    sorry, I was vague.. just this one;

Ronnie is a superb running back, superb pass catcher, excellent blocker, excellent WC qb, sets an example by being hard working and dedicated to his craft. Not to demean any of the others you mentioned, I just hold Ronnie in high regard. :up:

15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    wouldn't underestimate Williams

16. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Really think this argument is a waste of time, they are what they are right now, and for this coming season, all that matters is we have a LOT of talent @ RB and a solid OL for them to run behind. The rest is just silliness IMHO.

17. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    what I see one outstanding running tandem, an excellent Running Stable
    but we already know what we have in the backfield
    they will run as well as the front line will allow them to run
    if the Orca-5 lives up to expectation, we will do well in 2009

everything begins in the trenches :yes: